Headlights

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm taking mine in tomorrow for fluid changes pre-rally. I'll ask, but I usually know more from here than they do.

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Exoticare is about to have a Headlight Service Kit available in the coming weeks.
For those with burned HID bulbs - the unit is serviceable! Will be able to replace bulbs without having to order a complete headlight housing!!

:thumbsup:thumbsup

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Great news, is this something one can take care of ourselves or need to send off to you??

John

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Great news due to the headlight situation !!

Steve

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
If you can take on the job of removing the headlight, or have someone else do yes it can be done with little intervention.

Shadowman and I are working on a set of instructions.
But even if you have your GT's keeper do the removal - it's still better than buying a new one.

I will also have 3 different HID intensities to choose from 4300K (Stock) 6000K (slight Blue tinge) 8000K A really nice Blue-White Hue.

But will require both bulbs (L+R) to be changed out..

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
4g7z 13008ac eng #: 4g7v13005ad
me: Headlamp asy date off b/o: 11/11/11 b/o ranking:
Te merchandiser remarks
fill em-ords from: Supplier upon receipt
causal descriptn1: 14 tooling issue
causal descriptn2: 71 pending design/engineering change
: 4g7z 13008ad eng #: 4g7v13006ae
ame: Headlamp asy date off b/o: 11/11/11 b/o ranking:
Ate merchandiser remarks
fill em-ords from: Supplier upon receipt
causal descriptn1: 14 toolin issue
causal descriptn2: 71 pending design/engineering change

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Great update Torrie.

Original post showed out of b/o (back order) 10/09/09 - Oct per DBK!

post above shows off b/o 11/11/11 which I take it for "we don't know when we will get to it" :bored in engineering terms (project unfunded?)

COME ON ANDREW and SHADOWMAN!!!!!!!

Pe2unia, can your make the lights on a CNC machine...

ok - I'll go back in my corner Chip.......

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I can't give you an exact date but I can tell you unequivocally that they have already begun the process of setting up to produce more headlights. Beyond that, you'll just have to wait awhile. I know that's not a great answer, but at least it's a dramatically better answer than "the tooling was scrapped and you're out of luck".

Had a meeting with the FCSD parts people and will probably have a number of items to discuss on this front soon, and there is the possibility we'll have someone at the rally to discuss some parts topics.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I can't give you an exact date but I can tell you unequivocally that they have already begun the process of setting up to produce more headlights. Beyond that, you'll just have to wait awhile. I know that's not a great answer, but at least it's a dramatically better answer than "the tooling was scrapped and you're out of luck".

Had a meeting with the FCSD parts people and will probably have a number of items to discuss on this front soon, and there is the possibility we'll have someone at the rally to discuss some parts topics.

I agree this is better news than, sorry...too bad.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Hi. Just got a message from Vita Ford saying Ford has found a builder and should not be much longer. These are supposed to be swapped under waranty as it was documented before my waranty expired. But if they let me keep the old ones, I would love to send them up to Andrew to do up. Sounds pretty cool. My issue with these have been that the insides are so dirty and foggy and I wish it was easy to open and clean.

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Arya, actually you don't have to send anything out! I will be able to send the Replacements Bulbs or ballasts!

Gerry

Oct 13, 2006
Dearborn, Michigan
I would remove the headlamp and reomve the bulbs and dry it out with a hair dryer on low heat or just air. Then install the bulbs and seal the vents and apply about 1/2 (.5) or less psi to find the air leaks. (Low pressure is key). Usually around where the lens is glued to the body. Listen with a piece of hose to your ear & then move around lamp to find air rush noise.

There was a TSB on Lincoln LS to seal water leaks this way.

If you could seal all the holes and dunk the headlamp under water, you would see bubbles where the leak points are.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Hi. Just got a message from Vita Ford saying Ford has found a builder and should not be much longer. These are supposed to be swapped under waranty as it was documented before my waranty expired. But if they let me keep the old ones, I would love to send them up to Andrew to do up. Sounds pretty cool. My issue with these have been that the insides are so dirty and foggy and I wish it was easy to open and clean.

Finally last week, I got my headlights replaced by Vista Ford and they did a good job. The new headlights are perfect and clear by from the inside there is a little scratch above rge light housing as if it tiuched the lense in shipping. Very minor scratch and its the same on both sides. I did show then that in case it gets worst by driving... Meanwhile, I will be sending the car up to Kendall for few mods in the next few weeks. BTW the Carbon FORD emblem from GTG arrived and its looks great on teh Tungsten car.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Finally last week, I got my headlights replaced by Vista Ford and they did a good job.

That's great to hear.

I am still waiting on my set of replacement headlights from Fairway Ford. (small hairline cracks in lens)

Is the headlight replacement a tough job for a reputable dealer to handle properly?

I was wondering how technically difficult the install job on the headlights is.

Am I obligated to have the warranty part replacing dealer also do the warranty part replacement?

They didn't seem enthusiastic about doing the valve cover replacement, so I had a third party do the job on my dime.

But if the headlight replacement is very labor intensive, and capable of being done by a dealer, I would prefer to have Ford pick up the tab.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The risk factor is removing the fender liners and collateral damage to the fender lips. If the tech is careful, no problems, if they use the same amount of care as typical when repairing a Focus, or Mustang, I would be concerned.

If it was my car and I was given the option to have the dealer do it, or they were willing to give me the replacement parts. I would take the parts and do it at my leisure. Of course that may not be an option for some. In which case I would have the GT guys, or Shadowman, or Kendal do it.

Don't forget the story of a FGT owner that took the car in for a routing oil change and it ending up needed major body work! Or the Boxer owner that had some work done at a local Shell station. :ack

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you understand the process of removing the fender liner, which takes up most of the time, and go slow, a well-trained Ford tech who's never done it can perform quite well with no damage. I was in 10 days ago to get mine replaced again (third time), and the light (drivers) was scratched again inside. I refused the part, again. Any part that costs $1500 should be perfect in my opinioin and the new supplier has done a sh*ty job in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Any part that costs $1500 should be perfect in my opinioin and the new supplier has done a sh*ty job in my opinion.

What about the tachs?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Agree on all the gauges. I ate the cost of new fuel gauge.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The new headlights are perfect and clear by from the inside there is a little scratch above rge light housing as if it tiuched the lense in shipping. Very minor scratch and its the same on both sides. I did show then that in case it gets worst by driving...

Seems to be a potential problem.

My dealer inspected the new set and there are some very light interior scratches observed on close inspection.

He is going to order two more sets to inspect.

Thanks for the heads up.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
If you understand the process of removing the fender liner, which takes up most of the time, and go slow, a well-trained Ford tech who's never done it can perform quite well with no damage. I was in 10 days ago to get mine replaced again (third time), and the light (drivers) was scratched again inside. I refused the part, again. Any part that costs $1500 should be perfect in my opinioin and the new supplier has done a sh*ty job in my opinion.

We are seeing the same thing over here with the headlights. :frown