Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So are you carrying the bolt kits around with you just for moral support or can you actually install them on the side of the road when the halfshaft falls out?

Have you guys figured out what tools would be necessary to do this and are you carrying them as well?

I'd order an Accufab kit if it can really be installed and get you home. Otherwise I'll wait til it fails, if ever.

Actually, just std socket wrenches are all you'd need (and a torque wrench, of coarse).

I was where YOU are now a little while ago, Texas (leaving 'em 'til they broke). But, I 'figger' "screw it". I'd rather replace 'em at a time and place that's convenient FOR ME (... 'nice dry garage ... plenty of overhead light ... nice drop light if needed ... 'control lever to increase/decrease the surrounding temperature ... floor jack(s) ... shop towels ... all THAT stuff) rather than have the dang bolts decide when & where the job is done.:thumbsdow

I'd rather this didn't happen 100 miles from nowhere at 2 in the morning... and you KNOW "Murphy" demands that be the case.

...Just call me ol' "lilly liver". :bored

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Actually, just std socket wrenches are all you'd need (and a torque wrench, of coarse).

Nah, EP, they wouldn't make it that easy. The OEM 6 TTY bolts are Allen heads as well as the two fasteners that are breaking too frequently. As for the Accufab kit, you won't need the Allens but you will need some 12-pt sockets in two different sizes - one for the two bolts inside the flange and another for the 6 outer bolts.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Nah, EP, they wouldn't make it that easy. The OEM 6 TTY bolts are Allen heads as well as the two fasteners that are breaking too frequently. As for the Accufab kit, you won't need the Allens but you will need some 12-pt sockets in two different sizes - one for the two bolts inside the flange and another for the 6 outer bolts.

Yup. Yur right, of coarse. 'Shudda been more spacific. I have an allen/socket combo set. 'Always just considered 'em "sockets" like all the rest! My bad!:slap

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

So you need a hex socket for the 6 outer bolts, a pair of vise grips for the inner bolts (assuming they snapped off), a 12 point for the new inner bolts and another 12 point for the new outer 6 bolts. A flashlight and some rags might come in handy also and of course the ratchet. If you want it to be right, you have to have a torque wrench also. Maybe you could just snug up the outer 6 to get you home and then torque them when you get home.

I better get a trailer.:bored

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I better get a trailer.:bored

:rofl :thumbsup

('Pbly the BEST stratagy of all! :biggrin )

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
2 more GT's sheared halfshaft bolts in Chicago

I got a call from a friend with a 2006 midnight blue GT last week, he had sheard his halfshaft bolts at 7000 miles. My 06' Heritage has 5000 miles and sure enough, less than a week later (last weekend), my bolts sheared.

I was able to engage the splined halfshaft and limp home, it was only 1 mile from home. I took it apart at home and put temporary screws in so that I could drive it to the dealer for the warranty repair tomorrow. I opted to buy my own parts from AccuFab and pay the dealer to install, cost $450.00 vs. free for warranty. The AccuFab parts came in today and are first class so I don't regret not having the work done under warranty.

I have had no problems whatsoever with my GT just didn't think the bolt problem was going to happen. For anyone not sure about whether to do the repair, I highly recommend it. I have no doubt that this problem is more common than you might think. I was fortunate to be so close to home, but it was still a terrible feeling to have a broken GT and have to consider a flatbed tow or whatever to get the car home.

It's just my opinion, but get the repair done before it breaks.

Aug 25, 2006
I got a call from a friend with a 2006 midnight blue GT last week, he had sheard his halfshaft bolts at 7000 miles. My 06' Heritage has 5000 miles and sure enough, less than a week later (last weekend), my bolts sheared.

I was able to engage the splined halfshaft and limp home, it was only 1 mile from home. I took it apart at home and put temporary screws in so that I could drive it to the dealer for the warranty repair tomorrow. I opted to buy my own parts from AccuFab and pay the dealer to install, cost $450.00 vs. free for warranty. The AccuFab parts came in today and are first class so I don't regret not having the work done under warranty.

I have had no problems whatsoever with my GT just didn't think the bolt problem was going to happen. For anyone not sure about whether to do the repair, I highly recommend it. I have no doubt that this problem is more common than you might think. I was fortunate to be so close to home, but it was still a terrible feeling to have a broken GT and have to consider a flatbed tow or whatever to get the car home.

It's just my opinion, but get the repair done before it breaks.

Sad....

However I could not agree more. I chatted with Accufab and ordered another set for a fellow soon to upgrade his and during the conversation I was told that Ford has actually sent some folks to AccuFab as well; likely a dealer nevertheless.

Jay aka GT Saver.com chatted about this issue last fall and and at that time I said that this season as the gals rolled out would tell the story; well it is being told and the season has just begun.

Might I suggest again; replace them before you have to as it appears that most if not all will have to sooner or later and sitting on the side of the road or WORSE is not something I would want to experience. They are inexpensive and easy to replace so IMO there is no good excuse.

Takes care

Shadowman

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
What dealer did you go to in Chicago?

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I would suggest everyone buy the Accufab kit along with some spare M8 bolts. Change the bolts every 1000 miles. Learn to do this yourself if possible. Keep what you would need with you to fix on the road. If you do the repair yourself you will figure out what you need but don't forget a flashlight, rubber gloves, tarp, etc.
Until the right fix comes along this is the safest bet. But be prepared every moment to avoid an accident should the axle come loose.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
This is becoming increasingly :bs . Ford has had time to address this. I love my car and don't ever see getting rid of it....but enough is enough.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Well Said. I would imagine there are 4,000 others feeling about the same.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
As SteveA suggests - this manufacturing fault is the only dorsal fin in an otherwise perfect seascape for me.

I've only had the hardened washers put on mine and had this done before having any failure. Hopefully a weapons grade fix will appear and I'm not too bothered what it costs to import to the UK!

RSR1975

GT Owner
Sep 11, 2006
Yardley, PA
This sounds like information from a Model "T" manual

Change the bolts every 1000 miles.... Keep what you would need with you to fix on the road.....be prepared every moment to avoid an accident should the axle come loose.

This sounds like information from a Model "T" manual. I'm off to Watkins Glen today for a vintage race courtesy of USAir rather than my undependable GT. It's almost time to replace the family mommy van. Not a chance that I'll be considering another Ford product any time soon. Say what you want about the GT as a great car with all the appropriate accolades, IMO there still isn't any accepable reason that Ford has not aclnowledged the issue to this buyer group and I am really tired of this not being addressed.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Metalman, can you post your heritage VIN as well as the midnight blue car? Did the midnight blue get fixed with the Acufab kit?
Thanks!

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
What could be done to get FORD to authorize the ACCUFAB kit as warranty replacement?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think Ford will have any official public statement about the bolts. :thumbsdow Don't hold your breath. I expect the problems will be handled in a case by case basis using a Ford Dealer as the contact point. That is unless a serious injury occurs due to the bolts.

Does anyone know of any occurance of the halfshafts disconnecting at speed and flopping around? That would be my biggest concern besides being stranding in far from a auto repair shop.

Most cars will be falling out of warrantee very soon. To the dealer network's credit, some have been pro-active in checking and or replacing the bolts and washers under warrantee. But I doubt they would use anything other than factory parts.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What could be done to get FORD to authorize the ACCUFAB kit as warranty replacement?

IMHO the likelyhood of that happening is about the equal to that of Pelosi endorsing Fred Thompson for prez in '08, Bart. :wink

Why not just go ahead and do the Accufab swap and forget about it? 'Lot's less hastle.

When all is said and done I doubt that Ford, if or when they come up with a grenade proof solution, will make an issue out of the fact you have Accufabs installed anyway ... given their knowledge of this thread. :skep

Larry

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
Sad....

However I could not agree more. I chatted with Accufab and ordered another set for a fellow soon to upgrade his and during the conversation I was told that Ford has actually sent some folks to AccuFab as well; likely a dealer nevertheless.

Jay aka GT Saver.com chatted about this issue last fall and and at that time I said that this season as the gals rolled out would tell the story; well it is being told and the season has just begun.

Might I suggest again; replace them before you have to as it appears that most if not all will have to sooner or later and sitting on the side of the road or WORSE is not something I would want to experience. They are inexpensive and easy to replace so IMO there is no good excuse.

Takes care

Shadowman

This info may have already been posted here, (hard to find with so many posts in this thread) but does anyone know the percentage of bolt failures as to the 4000+ produced?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This info may have already been posted here, (hard to find with so many posts in this thread) but does anyone know the percentage of bolt failures as to the 4000+ produced?

Somewhere on this thread someone posted the official(?) tally was "less than 1%"...for whatever that's worth. :shrug

(But, that was some months ago...)

Last edited:

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

Tnx EP,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.