GT Wipers with better visibility and looks

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Good news update.

The first 8 sets are hitting UPS tomorrow. If you ordered prior to Oct 7, you should be getting a UPS shipment notification today or tomorrow. I should be getting more parts in this week. Please post when you get them.

To remove your current arms, lift the arm up to its verticle position, release the finger tab at the hub by catching the tab with your finger and pulling it away from the hub. It only moves about an eighth of an inch. Then lift the arm off. Install by just placing the new arm on the hub.

When installing, you need to be a bit careful to choose the correct spline position such that the wiper does not hit the hood or fender at the bottom of its stroke. If you install them in the park position where most of us have them all the time, just position them as low as possible without touching the body work.

The washer hose for the passenger side is very easy to access the connection right below the hub with the bonnet up. The driver side is under the edge of the fender. I have found it easier to see through the opening to the rear with the driver door all the way open and looking above the hinge. Even with my large hands, I had no trouble reaching the connection to push the hose on the barb fitting.

The longer of the two arms goes on the passenger side.

Please let me know if there are any questions. I hope everyone likes these as much as I have.

Last edited:

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I feel left out !
Can I have a set ?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
should have my pay pal its under downriver diesel
I sent you a PM.

Very sorry to hear you've sold your GT, your improvements are very useful! Before you disappear from the Forum please refresh my memory with the specifications (Brand. model) for the windshield wiper refills for your modified wipers. Thanks!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you for all your efforts. Excited to see them installed.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The next 6 sets are shipping today. This covers orders recieved up to and including Oct 26. More parts are on order and expected near year's end. Hope everyone has a great holiday!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I really like mine too !! Great quality and a great product !!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The ones I supplied with the first batch (2013) were Michelin Stealth 5024. Those are no longer available. I got with my contact at Trico (who makes the arms) about possible other blades with the airfoil and low profile. We came up with a Trico OEM replacement part number that works perfectly.

Trico 24-1HB

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Looking forward to them, thanks for the effort

Kurt

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
As of this morning I have pricing on all but one part. Should have that later today. I am not a vendor on this site and only do these to help out fellow owners. For those that already PM'd me in the last few days, I'll send an update on pricing and approx schedule as soon as the last pricing info comes in. For others that have expressed interest here in the thread, please PM me for details on pricing etc. It does look like we have enough interest to get a parts order in and meet minimum first order requirements.

Glad to help.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
PM sent. Thanks

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
JC,

I just received the wiper/blade assembly today and they look incredible. Is there any trick to removing the old ones and installing the new ones? Is the Michelin 8024 Hybrid 24" wiper blade the replacement blade for your newest wipers for those of us who will never see snow or ice? Thanks again for doing this for the Forum members. You're very gracious and quite the engineer/manufacturer.

Best regards,

Rick

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Longer one is passenger side. Lift old one to vertical position, pull release clip at base and they lift off. Bit of trial and error to get right position on new ones. Low as possible without hitting edge of hood. Hose hooks to factory connections. Driver side one is easier to reach from the rear through hinge area with driver door open.

Trico 24-1HB are the replacement blades you need.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Sounds like the best approach might be to create a parts list and assembly instructions, as there seems to be quite a number of owners who would find these useful. For me, I'm tall enough that the OEM units do not interfere with my vision....

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I received mine but have not installed them yet but plan on doing so this weekend

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Don't use stock lincoln whipers :)

Lord has it really been 7 years since the first rally? Its a funny story how the wipers came to be with the little air handlers on them. Seems they were originally using wipers from a lincoln, also the abs module but thats another story with lots of skid marks, and found out they are only good at about 160 ~ish or 180 ~ish..can't remember. Anyway once they hit their speed mark the wipers went to pointing straight up at the stars...I just have this picture of Mark driving along with the wipers pointing straight up and I can hear he saying something like..hey we need new wipers followed by lets see at what speed they let go :)

Anyway...lots of testing...lots of failures to figure stuff out. Ever wonder why the clamshell has 2 hooks on it??? Ask someone about the wind tunnel testing...hehehe WOO TIME FOR ANOTHER RALLY!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Sorry it took a few days to find out if I can still get parts to build these. I can but need to order 6 sets at a time. PM me and I will forward ordering details. When I have sufficient orders to get these going I will post a 'last call' and then order the parts in one order.
Just for the record,YOU ARE MISSED ON THE Ford GT Forum
I must say, your ingenuity is a real joy! I have really enjoyed my shifter and E brake boots!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
It appears we have sufficient interest to get an order going. I will let the orders run until the end of the week and then close it, place parts orders and get them built. If anyone wants a set, please get in now, I may be a long time, if ever, before they are available again. PM me and I will fill you in.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I hope I am on the list!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Just for the record,YOU ARE MISSED ON THE Ford GT Forum
I must say, your ingenuity is a real joy! I have really enjoyed my shifter and E brake boots!
I readily admit I miss my GT and the fellowship of this forum. Was a great time. But I made the decision to move on and do other things and enjoy that too. Louise and I have gotten much more involved with a motorcycle touring group and have made several extended bike trips together. Life is an adventure.