Gas Monkey Ford GT

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
When it is lowered, how much lower is it than stock ride height?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think it's fairly common knowledge that mods destroy re-sale value.

It's always a raging debate in Viper, Vette, etc forums; but outside a tiny minority most
prefer non-moded cars for the obvious reason that moded cars tended to be driven at limit, redlined, tracked and even beat on.

Thus, majority of buyers want a stock, OEM car with less wear.

Now, I know tons of people will say "I have $75K in whipple, pipes, springs, etc with receipts and the buyer loved it"

Well, after watching 10yrs of Shelby Mustang, Cobra, Pantera, GT40, Hemi, Daytona/Superbird,etc. auctions I have yet to see a car that's was modded bring top $. I am positive ALL 4038 cars will be returned to OEM when end-game sales happen to ultimate buyers, long after original owners.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
... I am positive ALL 4038 cars will be returned to OEM when end-game sales happen to ultimate buyers, long after original owners.

:agree:

And they will be collectors with no intention of driving their cars. I'll let my offspring return my GT to OEM stock (I have all the parts) and sell it to a collector. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my car in the manner to which I like it.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
When it is lowered, how much lower is it than stock ride height?

38" :eek

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

And they will be collectors with no intention of driving their cars. I'll let my offspring return my GT to OEM stock (I have all the parts) and sell it to a collector. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my car in the manner to which I like it.

Amen Ralphie Boy!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

Jeez Ed, that's 6 inches below stock ride height, no?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Jeez Ed, that's 6 inches below stock ride height, no?

Pretty crazy, Kevin. Andy mentioned to me that the pan sits about a 1/2 inch off the ground when the car is down.

Again, this is an aesthetic mod, much like almost all of us have done be it with seat rings, billet caps, or the spring perches (just taken to another level). This car will clearly never see a track but is great for cruising Main Street and attracting a crowd at the local car show.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I dunno, looks pretty good to me. Air bag is cheesy but the wheels are cool.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
bolt on bolt off keep the original parts not bad at all, all of my 356s have 912 engines with counter balanced cranks, but are of the original color combinations and all numbers matching, (if you go and look at the engine in the storage shelf!!!!)
I want to have fun with my cars but not compromise their historic value, I feel that every one of us who owns one of these Fords is the curator of their own personal Ford GT museum, and it is their responsibility to preserve the marque. The cars will still be here LONG after all of us are gone.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
bolt on bolt off keep the original parts not bad at all, all of my 356s have 912 engines with counter balanced cranks, but are of the original color combinations and all numbers matching, (if you go and look at the engine in the storage shelf!!!!)
I want to have fun with my cars but not compromise their historic value, I feel that every one of us who owns one of these Fords is the curator of their own personal Ford GT museum, and it is their responsibility to preserve the marque. The cars will still be here LONG after all of us are gone.

I believe everything they've done is easily reversible (Air ride suspension, exhaust, Whipple). If anything should cause you outrage it's the numerous twin turbo kits on this forum!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Im with you on this Ralph
Everyone can enjoy a Ford GT or another car for that matter in a personalized fashion.
Suit yourself ! ENJOY!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I believe everything they've done is easily reversible (Air ride suspension, exhaust, Whipple). If anything should cause you outrage it's the numerous twin turbo kits on this forum!

Meh, I took the turbo system off my car and I think the only irreversible change was a couple small diameter holes in the pan for when the exhaust dumped past a certain RPM.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Meh, I took the turbo system off my car and I think the only irreversible change was a couple small diameter holes in the pan for when the exhaust dumped past a certain RPM.

Holes in the pan, nonetheless, Dave;) My point is far 'worse' has been done to modify these cars than an Accu-Air suspension. I just think people are carrying over their biased opinions about Mr. Rawlings and Mr. House and translating them into negative comments about the car. Sure, it's not for everyone, but to imply that it's sacrilege is a bit much.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I agree with reversible mods, however, I don't really call cutting up the clamshell reversible( I guess you just buy another). That part when Aaron started cutting up the clamshell so the air ride would fit did make me cringe.

I do agree the car looks killer and would certainly be a cruise and car show phenom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
once a factory assembled car is dismantled and color changed down to its "bones" it is forever changed and loses all of its originality. Would have been different if this particular car had been taken apart before and color changed by some butcher of the marque

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

But why bother? It's a storied car that had some frame damage, and while it may not be a salvage title (does the accident show up on carfax?) It's not a silent repair since it was done on national TV, and a competent PPI would show it as such. Just as well have some fun with it. I don't like most of their air bag cars, but this one isn't objectionable,and is almost tasteful.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
But why bother? It's a storied car that had some frame damage, and while it may not be a salvage title (does the accident show up on carfax?) It's not a silent repair since it was done on national TV, and a competent PPI would show it as such. Just as well have some fun with it. I don't like most of their air bag cars, but this one isn't objectionable,and is almost tasteful.

Right. I think we agree on this??

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Seems to me that "supercar" no longer applies. Maybe not even sports car. It is now a show car or a cruiser.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the show and I have no idea about the quality of the air suspension work, but would anyone here drive that car remotely near its speed or grip limits? As in, suspension please don't fail me now?

How many points of potential catastrophic failure? The bag itself, an air line, an air fitting, compressor, dryer?

Isn't there only one ride height that alignment can be correct? Every other height will change the geometry.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Isn't there only one ride height that alignment can be correct? Every other height will change the geometry.

Correct for what? Lots of us have varied ride heights courtesy of T&A or Scott's Ohlins. Don't think Scott would advocate an 'incorrect' alignment.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I agree with nautoncall, I think I felt a tear run down my cheek when they took an air sawzall to the bottom of the clamshell to clear the air ride. gave me the pucker factor for sure!