Gas Monkey Ford GT

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Watching GMG. Richard bought a wrecked GT from Andy for 140k. Aaron's gonna put air ride to prove a car with "bags" can go fast and bump the hp up to 1000. Ummmm.... Who's gonna buy that for as much money they will have in it?

I'm quivering at the things they are about to do to this car!! The show just started here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Frame damage!!!!!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Cutting for Air ride!!!!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Well the first ever low rider GT!!!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Scary.

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
Car ended up with 805 RWHP and the finished product looks kicka$$! The air ride was done to stir up the purist...as it already has..lol . As i have realized over the last 8 years of my 100's of GT sales that there is a buyer for everything. This car may not be for you or the next guy but i can promise u it will sell and pring a nice profit! His plans are to keep it but we will see it will be at ride technology booth at sema and the build quality is top notch. This car is now a famous car and always will be from this point on and will become viral on socail media. I would buy it back...and pay 300k ..but thats just ny 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Top notch?

Cracked frame rewelded, how about the T61 heat treatment? Welding a FGT frame isn't recommended by FMC. I'm sure it done a lot more than rebuilders are going to admit. However I would feel better about the car if it got a new frame. Of course where would the profit be then. Amazing what a salvage title car goes for today.

http://www.afsinc.org/files/MC/stories/issuearchive/feb 06 feature.pdf

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
never mind

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I watched the first segment last night. I didn't realize that's how you bend aluminum frames with an air jack. Wow! I guess the GT was meant to be something different to everybody. I always thought it was to celebrate Le Mans & Ford history.

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This is the ONLY car based show, I have zero interest in watching. I tried a few years ago. All set.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
never mind

Come on Scott, tell us what you think.

I have no clue about repairing frames but a friend of mine does and he fully disagreed with how they "just welded" it. Said it would crumple in a collision especially being aluminum.

I agree it looked great when slammed to the ground but still!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Top notch?

Cracked frame rewelded, how about the T61 heat treatment? Welding a FGT frame isn't recommended by FMC. I'm sure it done a lot more than rebuilders are going to admit. However I would feel better about the car if it got a new frame. Of course where would the profit be then. Amazing what a salvage title car goes for today.

http://www.afsinc.org/files/MC/stories/issuearchive/feb 06 feature.pdf

Some very big "IFs" and "howevers" regarding welding A356-T61 castings:

"If welded with the same weld alloy [AMS4181 "Aluminum Alloy, Welding Wire 7.0Si - 0.38Mg - 0.10Ti (4008 or 356)" and fully solution heat treated and re-aged per AMS2771 [or per AMS4181 requirements] using good welding AWS d17.1 methods/techniques, then attaining close to original material properties is highly possible [assuming good/clear NDI after welding... and restoration of geometry]."

"IF welding with ER4043 [AWS A5.10] then a very good quality weld is possible... however the weld will likely be under-strength and non heat treatable [SR only]. In some cases, baking at the precipitation heat treat temperature for the base-alloy for a short period will stress-relieve the base alloy gran away from the weld bead and HAZ."

This comment from an aeronautics welder:

"Weld-repairing [field or depot] aluminum or magnesium parts made from machined castings, that have seen many years of usage and environmental exposure, is an entirely different beast than repairing defects in brand-new raw castings. You haven't lived til You've seen/heard a casting crack or explode due to entrapped liquids in the weld bead or HAZ."

wheelb

GT Owner
May 22, 2014
Miami Fl
i found it funny they copied my hre wheels hre told me. I spec and made for my car. To bad they air bagged it so need a different offset for so much negative camber http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/29305-Here-she-is-in-all-her-glory-!-MT-FGT-)

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I watch the gas monkey episodes from time to time. Obviously as most TV shows there is a fair amount of "showmanship" that is different than reality. I don't have the technical expertise in knowing the quality of the welds or the ultimate quality of the repair but I think it is great that our 10 year old cars still get such attention. As far as the modifications to the current car, I'm all for adding some power, the slammed look is not for me but it's not my car.........Im sure someone will find it just to their liking. I'm interested enough to watch next week :)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
My welder is a certified aerospace welder here in Minnesota. He said with of the quality of the Aluminum in the GT frame. It would take about 9 months or so if welded properly with aging process for alum to be same as what it was. He said for cast alum he has never seen cast weld that nice or be that type of quality. Most Aluminum takes a heat process of up to 350 degrees to retreat it. A GT chassis would have to be bare todo that and be baked in a powder coating booth.

In my opinion some day collectors will be thankful to buy a salvage car with a welded frame when cars are a million plus and there are only a few for sale here and there and salvage cars are a few hundred grand less. It may be the only way to own one for some..

So salvage cars are not for everyone and If you can afford to buy a NO stories car then you should do that. There are also hundreds of welded frame GT's out there. The front castings break very easily where the front stub bolts on! The top repair guys in the business repair GT frames.. Major and minor repair

One other thing would be is a GT worth more with a welded original frame in the future or a replaced frame?? Replace frame means no factory confidential vins.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Another restorable GT bites the dust and comes back as a vampire

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I like it.

I don't. Ugh.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Well...same could be said about GTX, DUBs, Lambo door GTs, custom interiors, etc

Anything that's reversible is probably OK.

In the long run, non-modded, bone-stock, OEM cars will bring highest $$$