Gas Monkey Ford GT

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I agree with nautoncall, I think I felt a tear run down my cheek when they took an air sawzall to the bottom of the clamshell to clear the air ride. gave me the pucker factor for sure!

Scott, you cut your clamshell to put on snorkels!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
......and while it may not be a salvage title (does the accident show up on carfax?) .

Was wondering if Carfax picked up on it myself.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Correct for what? Lots of us have varied ride heights courtesy of T&A or Scott's Ohlins. Don't think Scott would advocate an 'incorrect' alignment.
Correct for every ride height that air suspensions allow. Move it up and down, and the alignment moves from "correct" to something else.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
once a factory assembled car is dismantled and color changed down to its "bones" it is forever changed and loses all of its originality. Would have been different if this particular car had been taken apart before and color changed by some butcher of the marque

Guessing you are not a fan of the Camilo Pardo signature series cars.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Admittedly, I didn't watch the show and I have no idea about the quality of the air suspension work, but would anyone here drive that car remotely near its speed or grip limits? As in, suspension please don't fail me now?

How many points of potential catastrophic failure? The bag itself, an air line, an air fitting, compressor, dryer?

Would you expect Porsche or AMG to warn their customers not to drive their OEM air suspension equipped vehicles on a track?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Would you expect Porsche or AMG to warn their customers not to drive their OEM air suspension equipped vehicles on a track?

No. What does that have to do with this hack job?

Are you saying these reality TV guys can torch a wrecked GT, bag it, and it is the equivalent of production Porsche and AMG cars?

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
No. What does that have to do with this hack job?

The comparison seemed fairly straight forward to me.

You just said you did not watch the show. How have you determined it was a hack job?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sounds like you'd sign up to drive it at the limit. That's one guy!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Correct for every ride height that air suspensions allow. Move it up and down, and the alignment moves from "correct" to something else.

Yes for every ride height you need an alignment!! When we lower our cars they are then aligned at that exact height.

I had an air ride car and I didn't understand that concept until I wondered why one side of my tires were bald and the other side full tread!! When you just go up and down you have no idea what's "alignment" height. New air ride might be more advanced but I don't know. Not to mention the ride was quite bouncy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
the suspension alignment would be based on a single drive height. The car could be raised to clear an incline, or lowered when parked, but would return to standard height when driven to maintain alignment.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Ah, gotcha. Misunderstood your post. But as MTV8 said, it would be set for the 'drive height'. When it's sitting 38" off the ground, the alignment is irrelevant because that car is sitting still or only moving at parking lot speeds. 4x4 height and it's just creeping over a speed bump or getting up a driveway/curb incline.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Well not sure how hard they pushed it, but it made it to the track.

http://youtu.be/lp1uBVPqx2I

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Scott, you cut your clamshell to put on snorkels!

yeah I cried when my painter did that too! lol at least it's reversible!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well not sure how hard they pushed it, but it made it to the track.

http://youtu.be/lp1uBVPqx2I

Well you can surly tell that the Gas Monkey guy knows we are skeptical of their changes to the car.
Listen at 2:44 sec in the vid :)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Sold today at BJ for $235k. Y'all think they had more in it??

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Sold today at BJ for $235k. Y'all think they had more in it??

I suspect that they had close to that invested into it.....not sure how to figure out shop labor invested......I think the car would have had wider appeal with conventional suspension....

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I guarantee they had less in it. Many of the aftermarket parts are likely sourced for free or heavily discounted rates in exchange for their product receiving free advertising. The car was bought for less than what you saw them discuss on TV, atleast that's what Andy said....

$235k is a huge number for a salvage title car.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
yes shelby it is a salvaged GT but with lots of add-ons, and I figured they had less than that in, at most 200K but they did go through pretty much the whole car, I still think its a nice car. I much rather have this car than any other salvage GT!

Shelby do you this this sale will impact the sales of other GTs in any way? salvage or not

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
yes shelby it is a salvaged GT but with lots of add-ons, and I figured they had less than that in, at most 200K but they did go through pretty much the whole car, I still think its a nice car. I much rather have this car than any other salvage GT!

Shelby do you this this sale will impact the sales of other GTs in any way? salvage or not

An airbagged salvage title GT at auction sold by a reality show?

No.