Future Ford GT Super Car

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
There are angles where the car is just phenomenal. The rear 3/4, direct rear, and interior all make me cry like a schoolgirl.

And yes, if the car was priced at $150k, that'd be like, what, £8? :frown :lol
:lol The flip side is that £8 just about buys you 2 pints of beer around these parts. And don't get me started on fuel, which is now over £1 A LITRE :willy

Back on track, if we can buy them over here (remember we got 28 Ford GT's) I'll be on the list. Maybe Mr Clarkson can get one and I'll buy it off him a year later like the last one :biggrin

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I think the plan was for it to use GT powerplant, but let me ask why you'd prefer it that way. Just out of curiosity. If you ditched the supercharger, you'd lose the ability to make crazy power as easy and a bit of driveability, but you'd save a ton of weight. I think the blower and all the accoutrements (blower, intercooler, plumbing, etc) weigh something like 175 pounds.

For my money, with the 6.2L boss on the horizon, I'd go that route. The motor can be made 7.0L, and would be able to make well over 500hp N/A.

“Instant On” throttle response, lots of “Low End Torque”, “Volumetric” air efficiency, inexpensive “Power” upgrades, “Bullet Proof” reliability, and they are just “Plain Cool”.

I have been running Twin Screw’s on Ford Modular Engines now for going on 9 years [both 4.6L Panoz AIV Roadster & 5.4L Ford GT], I just love these things.:thumbsup

No doubt the 6.2L [Boss] & the potential 7.0L ["777"] will be great engines, but I still like the "Compressor".

That's just me. As it's said, "Different Strokes For Different Folks".:biggrin

Whazamaddah with a V-12??? :banana

If I wanted an "Italian Job", I would just go buy one.:lol:lol:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If I wanted an "Italian Job", I would just go buy one.:lol:lol:lol

Italy, schmiddly, Spirit! There's no reason a U.S. manufacturer 'kuddunt' slap a nice modern "12" together. God knows they built plenty of 'em back in "the good old days"!

a400ford

FGT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 17, 2007
Lake Tapps, WA
Count me in also. What a pair of cars to harrass the neighbor with the Viper!

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
I really like it, it's growing on me - but I don't know about the front end.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I saw a polished GR-1 at an automotive show in '05. Parked next to a FGT. What a pair. I'm in on the "group buy" or petition to FoMoCo. Just need to punt two XKE's and an old Mini Cooper to make room. I've grown tired of old leaky cars. Love the retro looks of the FGT and the GR-1...all with modern running gear. The dream "triple threat" would be the FGT, Shelby KR or Super Snake, and the GR-1.

PNicholson

I saw a polished GR-1 at an automotive show in '05. Parked next to a FGT. What a pair. I'm in on the "group buy" or petition to FoMoCo. Just need to punt two XKE's and an old Mini Cooper to make room. I've grown tired of old leaky cars. Love the retro looks of the FGT and the GR-1...all with modern running gear. The dream "triple threat" would be the FGT, Shelby KR or Super Snake, and the GR-1.

Did it look kind of like this one? :)

GT-GR1.jpg

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
DBK do you know any one that could confirm a story like this?

SVT profit for FoMoCo

When on the SVT team there were a few profit stats used to support our existence.

From memory now, and I think it was on world wide profit data from 2004 or 2005?

SVT profits added less than 1% to the over all FoMoCo profit picture,

But if you take the yearly overall SVT profit figure and divided it by the 35 full time employees. Each Engineer generated 4 million for the company (beyond there own salary).

Then you take the Ford world wide profit number.
And divide by the total # of engineer’s world wide. Each main stream Ford engineer contributed just over 100 thousand bucks on average / year (above there own salary).

This was a story I heard John Colette tell those that question why Ford needed SVT.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
But if you take the yearly overall SVT profit figure and divided it by the 35 full time employees. Each Engineer generated 4 million for the company (beyond there own salary).

And divide by the total # of engineer’s world wide. Each main stream Ford engineer contributed just over 100 thousand bucks on average / year (above there own salary).

Question how much profit did the average UAW worker contribute to Ford's bottom line?

Answer, statistics are meaningless!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You're not far off. I don't know the exact figure to the dot, but at its peak, SVT was contributing very, very close to what you remembered.

SVT profit for FoMoCo

When on the SVT team there were a few profit stats used to support our existence.

From memory now, and I think it was on world wide profit data from 2004 or 2005?

SVT profits added less than 1% to the over all FoMoCo profit picture,

This was a story I heard John Colette tell those that question why Ford needed SVT.

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
So as I was reading through the initail posts of this thread, I thought to myself, hey...I've got Alan Mullaly's e-mail address, why not ask him directly if he'd consider selling me the GR1 to bring in some fast cash to FoMoCo's
Corporate coffers. Whoa, are you ready for this,....he agreed, :banana and the delivery pictures follow.

JCE-GT (0187 -Tungsten)

Attachments

• GR1.jpg
    GR1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 167
  • GR1a.jpg
    GR1a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 167
  • GR1b.jpg
    GR1b.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 164
  • GR1c.jpg
    GR1c.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 165
  • GR1d.jpg
    GR1d.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 162

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
I think that all of you have figured out the rest of the above story.

As I too was in such disbelief , I had to pinch myself and that's when I woke-up!!:ack

Oh well we can all dream.:thumbsup

JCE-GT (0187 - Tungsten)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This picture has gone around several times, supposedly sold to some sheik in Arabia, etc.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
O.K.

I WANT ONE [or maybe 2] but, with a few caveats:
  • Must be V-8 Powered
  • Must be Supercharged
  • Present GT Owners have 1st rights of purchase on the initial production run
  • Base pricing to be less than $150,000.00 USD
BRING IT ON !!

So we're all bored with the GT, the CF, exhaust, suspension, wheel upgrades, we just want a new Ford halo car, eh?

The GR-1 is a stunning design, although I don't believe that it could pass FMVSS standards past CY2010 - even Ferrari hints at coming shifts in design and reinterpretation of performance. However, just in the slim chance that the GR-1 might be built, I'm w/Spirit; $150K, original owners first right of purchase and made available in original '05/'06 GT VIN number production order :thumbsup.

DBK as a thought, try to catch Mullaly at the NAIAS after he's consumed a couple of glasses of bubbly. Perhaps in a weak moment....

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
just to play devils advocate here.....say Mr. Shelby's relationship with Ford were to become strained and he and Ford were to part ways would Ford still have the rights to produce this car?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
just to play devils advocate here.....say Mr. Shelby's relationship with Ford were to become strained and he and Ford were to part ways would Ford still have the rights to produce this car?

A) Not gonna happen
B) Yes

Shelby is on the books for...a number of years worth of cars with FoMoCo.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Let me be devil's advocate for a second....

Didn't Ford have a problem in shifting all the GTs? After the initial hysteria some cars stayed unsold for more than 1y. I remember that you could have a brand new GT just 5 months ago...

And I think the GT is way more appealing than GR-1. Its name is synonimum with Victory and Le Mans. Its shape is unmistakable and even kids that were born in the 80's recognize it.

The GT also has more widespread and international appeal, it is not just another American muscle car. And it you did not need to be a Ford fanatic. It was the new GT40.

So on one side you have a car that may be produced in higher numbers than a GT, could cost more, is not as appealing and is not the one.
On the other side you have a global economy that is cooling off quickly (especially in the US), where credit is scarce and people are getting nervous.

I don't believe this particular car will make it to production. As Phil was stating above even if it is striking it is not an instant classic.

Flame suit on.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
I think the Gr-1 is great.....but personally the Cobra seems like a better way to go IMO. Like the GT it has a rich history behind it......seems to me it'd have a better chance.......:shrug

Attachments

• SHELBY39.jpg
    SHELBY39.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 116
  • SHELBY26.jpg
    SHELBY26.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 115
  • SHELBY20.jpg
    SHELBY20.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 120

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Check out Saleen's new effort. www.autoblog.com/2007/11/28/s...ew-sports-car/

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I think the Gr-1 is great.....but personally the Cobra seems like a better way to go IMO. Like the GT it has a rich history behind it......seems to me it'd have a better chance.......:shrug

IMHO, I agree - The GR-1 is cool but not for me. The retro cobra would have a broader public appeal (IMHO).