Future Ford GT Super Car

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Speeking as a small volume Ford dealer who never could get an allocation for the Ford GT but was able to purchase one anyway, I know many Ford dealers who now wish they had kept a GT for themselves. Many have told me if Ford would build another winner such as the GR-1 they would purchase one to keep. I would certainly purchase one to keep NOW if it were to be built even if I couldn't get an allocation! I'd find a way to own one FOR SURE. How much money do I need to send Dave? Tomy Hamon -Gene Hamon Ford Inc.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I second the letter idea.

I sent a 1 page letter and spiral photo presentation I made at Kinkos to Chrysler/Daimler re: a AMX/3 re-launch using Hemi.

Sent it to top 5, SRT, Pacifica Design center. They responded seperately ; even some scrawled notes in margins. Unfortuntaely it got forwarded to a engineering-suggestion/R&D dept. with no further response.

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
You know wrong my friend. Beyond the small profit the vehicle program itself turned, the advertising the car received by having the car on the front of every magazine for almost 4 years was priceless.

True that, I understand all about the halo effect, trust me - but number guys could give a crap about halo. They may have received a ton of PR, but that's just a cause - sales are the effect. As far as I know they lost money on the GT and it didn't cause the bell to ring on the rest of their portfolio. Although it did bring back some retro to the company, helped revive Shelby, etc. If I were CEO I would continue with the program of creating limited supercars, but I'm not sure Ford will be able to manage it.

It would be nice though, don't get me wrong, I hope they do.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Guys, if you want Ford to take this thread seriously, we need to be more specific about the parameters under which we would be willing to buy the car. I've not seen any mention of price here yet. As wealthy as some of you guys are, everyone has their limits on how much they can justify for their toys. If the car comes to market at $225000 would you still be willing to buy two? Some of you would but I think that price level would knock others out of the market. It would me. It's easy to sit in your Lazyboy and say "Put me down for two" but Ford needs realistic feedback.

I think most here are assuming the car could be bought for generally the same price as the GT sold for, so let's assume a price of $150000 to $180000. I would be a buyer at that level for one car if it's built in limited quantity (4000 or less), and had performance levels equal or superior to the GT (preferably superior to keep up with the Joneses).

What price level and other parameters would you require to be a legitimate buyer?

Bill M

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2007
They should use Porsche's format for selling their high end cars. Set a number and pre sell the spots before the cars are even made. You purchased your spot in the production line.(Porsche required $50,000.00 for the spot) Only serious buyers put up their money. The Porsche dealers were only allowed a small mark up over MSRP. Most dealers, only sold the cars at MSRP for their best customers.

If they sell the new car the same as the GT, production run will be cut short and Ford will not recoup their R & D cost on the car.

Last edited:

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
I'm with Bony, $5000.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'm with Bony, $5000.

Yes, I agree it's a good idea but the question remains.....would you send a $5000 check if the car listed for $225000 or more?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Guys, if you want Ford to take this thread seriously, we need to be more specific about the parameters under which we would be willing to buy the car. I've not seen any mention of price here yet. As wealthy as some of you guys are, everyone has their limits on how much they can justify for their toys. If the car comes to market at $225000 would you still be willing to buy two? Some of you would but I think that price level would knock others out of the market. It would me. It's easy to sit in your Lazyboy and say "Put me down for two" but Ford needs realistic feedback.

I think most here are assuming the car could be bought for generally the same price as the GT sold for, so let's assume a price of $150000 to $180000. I would be a buyer at that level for one car if it's built in limited quantity (4000 or less), and had performance levels equal or superior to the GT (preferably superior to keep up with the Joneses).

What price level and other parameters would you require to be a legitimate buyer?

Good points, however previous threads predicted a price less than the GT, and it would need to be, based upon all the increasing competition for a limited market of supercar buyers, and so many different choices on the street or drawing boards of so many manufacturers.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
They should use Porsche's format for selling their high end cars. Set a number and pre sell the spots before the cars are even made. You purchased your spot in the production line.(Porsche required $50,000.00 for the spot) Only serious buyers put up their money. The Porsche dealers were only allowed a small mark up over MSRP. Most dealers, only sold the cars at MSRP for their best customers.

If they sell the new car the same as the GT, production run will be cut short and Ford will not recoup their R & D cost on the car.

It would appear that much of the R&D cost for the GR-1 has already been spent.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
2 cks.

Good points, however previous threads predicted a price less than the GT, and it would need to be, based upon all the increasing competition for a limited market of supercar buyers, and so many different choices on the street or drawing boards of so many manufacturers.

How about 2 cks. $5000. each...........

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I really think that the car needs to be priced under $80,000 in the ball park of the Z06 or Viper to make sense for Ford. I don't know if a good version could be made at that price, but this car needs to be somewhat attainable by upper middle class folks.

The car's awesome styling cues could be drawn into the lower tier Fords (ie Mustangs) like they did in the 50s with the Thunderbird or as Chrysler did with the early Viper, which saved that company for a time. Ford needs a little excitement in its styling themes.

The car would draw in folks to the dealerships in much the same way the Gt and early Viper did. The only difference would be to keep production limited (3000-4000 per yr) as suggested by Carroll Shelby himself to keep it at least a little exclusive, but not as rare as a Ford GT...(we all agree we never see others driving GTs!)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I said it before - I'm in. Tell me where to write the check and send the letter to sign. And please disregard Spirit's coments that it must have a V8. The V10 they talked about is fine with me if it gets us the cars faster.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
This GR-1 must come. It is the next logical step in the Ford Legacy of GT Racing Cars. It will sell, SVT, it will sell! And it looks better than any ENZO! Images below are from the LA Auto Show 2005.

Attachments

• GR-1 7  ep.jpg
    GR-1 7 ep.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 134
  • GR-1  2 ep.jpg
    GR-1 2 ep.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 133
  • GR-1    ep.jpg
    GR-1 ep.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 130
  • GR-1  5 ep.jpg
    GR-1 5 ep.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As far as I know they lost money on the GT...

Like I said, the vehicle program turned a small profit.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Well so far everyone wants two of them, that can't be a bad sign. It is like a 21st century Cobra Coupe! It is to awesome to not be built.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My wife really liked the car in Dearborn.

Attachments

• DSC00082.jpg
    DSC00082.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 120

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I was reading up on the car tonight and a couple things are not clear.
Inspiration for the Ford Shelby GR-1 came from George Saridakis from production and concept designs. In Ford's Irvine Advanced Design Studio
So if its a ford employee's design how did shelby get his name on it? :confused

2nd "Based on the architecture of the Ford GT, the Ford Shelby GR-1 is a front-engined, two-seat, fastback supercar, combining modern sculptured surfaces in a sleek muscular fastback design"
how can it be based on a GT if it is front engine? :confused

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Probably Shelby for the name and the concept of high performance and notoriety, 2nd question, ???? perhaps on the GT frame concept, modified for a front engine design. Does this mean there would be the luxury of a reasonable trunk? Does anyone, (DBK) have a clue if this is even still on the list of possible production vehicles? I guess Ford would probably like a few more profitable quarters of revenue before focusing on the GR-1. BTW, GR stands for ???

Last edited:

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Like I said, the vehicle program turned a small profit.
The accounting certainly shows that. But what isn't generally known is that Ford got the numerous third party suppliers to supply parts at well under the usual rates, with the return of them being connected to the project.

If they paid the full price for the parts, there's no way there would be anything but a large loss on the books. I'm not blaming Ford for doing it, but it puts a different perspective on the chances of another GT type car being built.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sorry Phil,
But in my business I push my suppliers for the best deal they sell anyone. As a stockholder of many companies I expect no less from them.