Future Ford GT Super Car

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sign me up. Where do I send my deposit check?

So, is anyone counting? How many are we up to?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
My inside info at Shelby indicated that at the present time, the GR-1 is not on the list of production models in foreseeable future. :thumbsdow

LA Auto Show was boring this year. Only thing Ford had was a GT500KR, and just one of them and lots of SUVs and Vans. Dodge had two 08 vipers, Chevy had a couple of vettes. Usual sprinkling of Ferrari, Lamb, Audi, but nothing that grabs one attention from Ford like the debut of the 05 GT or the GR-1.

I believe we are in that down turn like a retro 70s car mentality when oil prices depressed companies ability to produce cars that the public really wanted.

Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I agree with Atomic....

The GR1 and the Cobra 2 seater could save Ford as they would instill excitement back into the public about the company. Styling cues of both could go through the entire line of vehicles, especially the next Mustang GT.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My inside info at Shelby indicated that at the present time, the GR-1 is not on the list of production models in foreseeable future. :thumbsdow

Shelby wouldn't even know that. Stuff like the KR is conceived and then pitched to Carroll. The GT500 was originally going to have an, er, slightly different name. The KR is different because they are putting their hands on it. Obviously were it coming to fruition, Carroll would get notice because he rightly gets paid for his input and his name, but SAI wouldn't be involved in building a car like the GR-1.

Joehand, the next Mustang GT has long been done. I've seen it already. I'm not as excited about the looks as I am about what's finally going to be under the hood :banana

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Money

I have read the posts. I, for another one, am in and am willing to send a check with the letter.

It seems to me that Ford can not cash the checks. They must return them till they get a complete set of specs and price but a WHOLE, WHOLE bunch of guys sending a bunch of checks to try and get a car going will create a stir and that is what we want.

We need hundreds of checks to really make an impression. I can send several from different sources to up the count. We have nothing to lose, guys. It is Ford.

We need a way to actually make this happen. Who's in charge?

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, so it sounds like we're mostly in agreement. I'll volunteer to take the checks and get things rolling. Please send checks for a minimum $5000 to Frank Pikul Ford. If things don't work out in several years, I'll return the checks after my extended trip to South America.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
JimF has my vote, no SA government financing! I think we may have something going here. I am sure we don't represent a major incentive to Ford at this point in time, but to let them know that their continued presence in American Racing Car production has a deep following and one that should be recognized as the ones who support Ford in almost everything they do. The GR-1 should not die! I am in. :cheers

Perhaps a letter writing campaign to the individuals or group responsible for these decisions could be a first step ? Perhaps they don't know of the intense passion we have for Ford Products ???

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Just curious DBK, what is wrong with the styling of the next new Mustang GT?

Since it is the best selling car Ford has, the next one better be pretty good for the company to survive....

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
DBK, Does the new Mustang look japanese or techno?

heard its too angular & modern,

How long doe one have to buy the current stang

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
+1 For the Cobra

IMHO, I agree - The GR-1 is cool but not for me. The retro cobra would have a broader public appeal (IMHO).

Oh yea. I would soooo get in line for the Cobra.
Where do I sign?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
"Certainly!"...or to quote Curly Howard, "Soitently!"

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I would as well. If it is anything as good as the GT I am in for sure!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just curious DBK, what is wrong with the styling of the next new Mustang GT?

Since it is the best selling car Ford has, the next one better be pretty good for the company to survive....

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not wildly different. Look up the Guigaro Mustang Concept. There's a couple cues from that car in there. I didn't really analyze it, but it wasn't anything that made me go whoa! The engine spec for the base V8 do.

Mustang is a piece of the pie, but it's irrelevant in the context of a 900,000+ unit per year F series pickup. Mustang will always do well, and this one will too. It's a great package.

DBK, Does the new Mustang look japanese or techno?

heard its too angular & modern,

How long doe one have to buy the current stang

Nah, I wouldn't say either of those. It's evolutionary of the current design in a slightly more aggressive/modern design.

I think the changes are for MY10, but it might be MY09.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not wildly different. Look up the Guigaro Mustang Concept. There's a couple cues from that car in there.

'Not trying to nit-pick here (really), but it's "Giugiaro" if you want to Google it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Don't really care for the tail lights, but, the rest of it looks great to me. If Ford produces a car pretty much like this Guig. concept, they'll sell all they can make.

('Coarse, there won't be scissor doors on the '09.)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd say it's more like "elements" of this car. I do like the Guigaigaarrioo concept though, minus the cowhide.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd say it's more like "elements" of this car. I do like the Guigaigaarrioo concept though, minus the cowhide.

(Amen to the cowhide. What the devil WERE they thinking...or not)