Ford GT based Shelby 427 Uni-Chassis

ctheodo1

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2008
Birmingham, Mi
This is my first post, since retiring from Ford. I thought you guys might be interested in the attached photos of my Uni-Chassis which is being built from Ford GT components. Carroll Shelby provided the 427 Cobra body. The car will be running this fall, and I'll be introducing the chassis at the Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress April 12. If you're interested, I'll keep you posted on the progress. It should be the fastest, best handling Cobra on the planet!

Attachments

• chassis and body display set up - best.jpg
    chassis and body display set up - best.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,103

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Holy Moly Bat Man!!! Can not wait to see/hear your progress. What type of drive gear will that be? A drive shaft encased in the center housing? Will the engine be stock?

Larry

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Very Nice!

Looking forward to future progress posts.

ctheodo1

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2008
Birmingham, Mi
Engine will be tweaked to about 650 hp. More can of clueless be added later. The quill shaft runs through the tube, supported by bearings

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Looks FANTASTIC Chris.

I can see so many GT parts. Smart move, why redesign the wheel.

If you need some help on this thing, you have my number. I'm starting to get bored with this retirement.

Rich

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That wont be fast.......

Very cool!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
very cool project, did you guys cut up a ford gt chassis to get the front and back?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
So Rich, I just drove 1,000 miles to get to Amelia Island for the concours 3 weeks ago.....telling my wife, I dont know anyone here and its going to be a peaceful bonding experience......Walk in the front door at the ritz and I here GTJOEY LOOK AT THE NEW PROJECT IVE GOT!.....Turn around and its Chris.....
This ride will not be cheap......BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!
ALL GT EVERYTHING ENGINE/TRANNY AND REAR........GOOD LUCK CHRIS......enjoy gtjoey1314

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Wow ! That looks great !
When can I buy one ! Put me first or even just on the list would be great ! I will sell my soul if need be!!
That is so cool I can’t stop looking at the picture!
I hope the over heating issues that the Gt suffers from are resolved.
It must be a blast to do the kinda work that you really want to do . Looks like retirement suits you!!
Very best of luck with your new project.
Hope you have time to come talk at the rally!

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
very cool project, did you guys cut up a ford gt chassis to get the front and back?

It's OK it was a black car. ;)

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
For anyone that is not familiar with Chris's past work, Our beloved GT would not exist without him! For that matter, the Dodge Viper ether. The man knows a thing or two about hi-performance cars.
Just looking at this picture has my mind racing with questions and ideas.

GT Joey, you never call anymore. I am crushed. I need to get out to your party this year.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
That's Awesome, I take it you brought the frame rails in towards the transaxle to get the rear tires under the narrower Shelby Chassis? Also this way it allowed you to utilize the factory length control arms and just get shorter axles. I love it and I am doing someting real simular to a Fox Body Saleen Mustang. Although we took castings and are making a fixture to make the suspension mounting points out of steel instead and then have that incorperated into the factory Mustang chassis. We will do the same up front. Essentually the torque tube will be simular to what a Corvette is although yours is structural and im sure its pretty thick alum.

When the GT first came out I went out and bought 2 Texas clean 63 galaxies and was going todo GT based suspension, GT transaxled pro touring car and do a 427 cammer on efi with a blower. At the time the cammer's were not being reproduced so, it was retarded money to buy a stock one, along with they really are not something you should try and make 1000hp out of for reliability. But now that has changed and maybe someday.....

But anyways this is killer and I love it as its so cool to take the old and mix with the new. Are you going todo a standalone computer so you can get away with having to figure out how todo the mass air flow sensor that close to the firewall?

Keep us posted and Good Luck....

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=6WKsAAAAEBAJ

Very cool.

Chris so would this application not be right for say a front wheel drive, front engine car, or could you just have the backbone empty?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Need to see it in RED.

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
That's sick!!! Can't wait to see it done.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Chris,

Small thing. Can the radiator be angled backwards instead of forwards? Owning a Cobra and running it in next weeks Big Bend Open Road Race, I feel that the air that flows thru the front opening would try to lift the car at REALLY High Speeds as it hits the rad..

Larry Boatner

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Beautiful job. I wish I had just a fraction of your talent. Thanks for posting. We all look forward to your updates on this project.

ctheodo1

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2008
Birmingham, Mi

Yes, I bought the last chassis from ou supplier. If anyone needs the center section of a Ford GT frame, I've got one for sale!

ctheodo1

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2008
Birmingham, Mi
Shelby Uni- Chassis

Wow ! That looks great !
When can I buy one ! Put me first or even just on the list would be great ! I will sell my soul if need be!!
That is so cool I can’t stop looking at the picture!
I hope the over heating issues that the Gt suffers from are resolved.
It must be a blast to do the kinda work that you really want to do . Looks like retirement suits you!!
Very best of luck with your new project.
Hope you have time to come talk at the rally!
Carroll and I have talked about building a few of these, depending on interest. Unfortunately, it won't be cheap because the donor parts are so scarce and expensive. I'm going to see Carroll the first week in May, so stay tuned.
When and where is the rally this year? I've lost track.

ctheodo1

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2008
Birmingham, Mi
Uni-Chassis

Yes, we narrowed the rear track about 2 5/8 inches. We'll still have to put flares on the flares because the track is still about 4 inches wider front and rear! Your Mustang sounds cool. We've been thinking about putting a Uni-Chassis under a Mustang. Great minds think alike!
That's Awesome, I take it you brought the frame rails in towards the transaxle to get the rear tires under the narrower Shelby Chassis? Also this way it allowed you to utilize the factory length control arms and just get shorter axles. I love it and I am doing someting real simular to a Fox Body Saleen Mustang. Although we took castings and are making a fixture to make the suspension mounting points out of steel instead and then have that incorperated into the factory Mustang chassis. We will do the same up front. Essentually the torque tube will be simular to what a Corvette is although yours is structural and im sure its pretty thick alum.

When the GT first came out I went out and bought 2 Texas clean 63 galaxies and was going todo GT based suspension, GT transaxled pro touring car and do a 427 cammer on efi with a blower. At the time the cammer's were not being reproduced so, it was retarded money to buy a stock one, along with they really are not something you should try and make 1000hp out of for reliability. But now that has changed and maybe someday.....

But anyways this is killer and I love it as its so cool to take the old and mix with the new. Are you going todo a standalone computer so you can get away with having to figure out how todo the mass air flow sensor that close to the firewall?

Keep us posted and Good Luck....