First Annual Mojave Mile Event

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Gentlemen (and ladies?),

I am posting the item below for my friend Mike Borders. As an additional item, we are looking at setting up a new GT School on the 3rd & 4th of March just before the Mojave Mile Event. The track will also have an open test day on the 5th for those desiring more track time. The GT School is limited to a maximum of eight drivers. The fee for the two day school is $4,000. Those that are interested in joining us please PM me.

Richard Hille
The GT School

To the Forum Members:

I am Mike Borders, General Manager of MKM Racing Promotions and I will be the Event Director for the Mojave Mile. I have been following your discussions here and have applied for access to this forum in order to address your questions directly, and I am currently awaiting approval of my access request. In the meantime, let me clarify the class requirements your vehicles will be operating under:

The Ford GT and GTX1 models meet the requirements for rollover protection as required for the Super Sport Division, permitting speeds of up to 190 MPH using harnesses and level 2 safety clothing. No roll bar is needed.

To Black Ice: The Whipple is indeed a power adder, but from my understanding the performance of the car with one of these might easily push it past the 190 mph limit meaning you would have to lift (ugh!). This car/mod shares this dilemma with a few other makes/models, that being an already fine car can exceed our speed limits with one power adder, so we have made some changes to the Super Sport class which I believe your group will enjoy:

Please be aware that this is the FIRST forum I am announcing this change on, and we will post the rules updates shortly. We have decided to raise the speed limit for the Super Sport class to 205 mph, up from 190. This means that your cars with harnesses as described above may now run up to 205 mph within the rules of the event. To run past 190 mph the entrant must have (Y) rated tires, which I believe you all use in any case. We thought hard about making this change because we are very safety-oriented, but we believe that the low exposure time and the facility itself make the increased risk small enough to accept.

If the Forum Moderator is reading this, I respectfully request access to your forums so I might better interact with your group's questions regarding this event. In the meantime, members may contact me at 702-614-6108 or email me at mkm_racing(at)hotmail(dot)com. This address is my personal email and not the website one. I apologize to those of you who have emailed me and not received a response -- this was not intentional, just some new site-setup bugs being worked out.

Our field is already over half-full, and packets were mailed out to those on the Grid List on Monday. The registration forms package is now available on the website for download. We hope that those of you that were hesitating have had your questions answered, and if I am granted access to this forum I will be proactive in talking with all of you.

Best Regards,
Mike Borders

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for posting Richard and Mike, for your flexibility.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
If the Forum Moderator is reading this, I respectfully request access to your forums so I might better interact with your group's questions regarding this event.

Mike thank you for posting. I have read this and contacted Dave. He is the only one who can grant you access. And if it wasn't my daughters birthday that weekend, I'd be there.

All the best....
Rick

Aug 25, 2006
This is good news for many

Thank you

Shadowman

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Richard, thanks again for your help here and for posting that note from Mike.

I sent in my Registration and check today to run in the Z class with my stock engine plus Stillen exhaust. I have an interior mounted fire extinguisher and a 5 point harness, helmet, gloves, shoes, race suit and Bridgestones so I should be good to go...

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
Received our registration packets in the mail yesterday. I am thinking about running my Ninja zx-10r and having Gill Sr. run the FGT.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
There is an update to the Mojave Mile Shootout on their website:
http://www.mojavemile.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24

Richard Hille
The GT School

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Richard,

Thx for the update.

I have a newbie question and have sent email to Mike, but have not heard back yet. I wonder if anyone here knows the answer. Per my discussion with Mike previously, I'll be running in the Super Sport group (Pulley & Tune), and since I have never done any one-mile run type of event, I'll start with a Basic License. He said the Basic License can be upgraded at the event as soon as I have one sucessful run, which means reaching 150mph safely per the application instruction.

My question is, as relate to the speed violation rule, assuming my car reaches 150mph before the end of the one-mile, am I supposed to simply maintain at at speed as ease off the throttle so I won't "violate" the speed rule, or am I supposed to continue accelerating until the end of the mile because I'm attempting to move up to the Sportsmen License?

Also, as I'm a newbie at this type of one-mile run (although, I've been doing trackday events for a few years), for those who are experienced in these Mile Runs, when should I shift/how should I drive the GT for the one-mile runs?

BlackIce, are you confirmed? Who else is going in the SF Bay Area?

thx

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Sent in my registration and ordered my helmet/accesories yesterday. Installing the fire extinguisher today. :banana

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Ed,

For your first run, you will have to maintain a maximum speed of 150 mph. Do not exceed 150 or you will not get a second run. If you run 150 through the end of the mile and do it without incident, Mike will probably, happily upgrade your license to go faster on your second run.

Just so everybody that is interested knows, Mike already has 100 people signed up for this event. If you were serious about doing this, get your entry in quickly....

Richard Hille
The GT School

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Richard

Thank you for the clarification on my first run.

Yes, when I spoke with Mike last week, he said once the sign-up reaches 150 the sign-up will end.

So, for all you Standing-Mile-Run experts, with a pulley & tune mod, what are your tips for me drive the mile, on shifting?

thx

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
BTW, how many of us are actually going?? Are more people going to sign up now that the SS division is 205mph??

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Clinton and Dr. Simms are you signed up yet? I would like to go and we could run down together. Let me know asap.
Thanks,
Tom

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Trying to catch up on this. So the rules changed to 205mph if 150 completed succesfully. You need a helmet and harness??

Mike

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Trying to catch up on this. So the rules changed to 205mph if 150 completed succesfully. You need a helmet and harness??

Mike

If your car only has exhaust mod, you can run in the Z Division, which requires Level 1 safty gear, proper helmet, 2.5 lbs fire extinguisher. OEM seat belts are fine. if you are in this division, the max speed is 190, with a sucessful 150 run.

If your car has Pulley & Tune, you would run in the Super Sport Division, which requires you to have Level 2 safety gears: proper helmet, 2.5 lbs fire extinguisher, properly rated race suit arnd race glove, horse-collar, race shoes, 5, 6 or 7 pt harness and arms restraints. In this division, the max speed is 205, with a sucessful 150 run.

Hope this helps. Be great to see another Heritage there.

The above is the summary, you best bet is to read the Rules at the link.

Ed

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Guys - I am posting the below for Mike Borders as he, for some reason, can not yet post on the Forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherman2
"Trying to catch up on this. So the rules changed to 205mph if 150 completed succesfully. You need a helmet and harness??"

Mike
"If your car only has exhaust mod, you can run in the Z Division, which requires Level 1 safety gear, proper helmet, 2.5 lbs fire extinguisher. OEM seat belts are fine. if you are in this division, the max speed is 190, with a sucessful 150 run."

"If your car has Pulley & Tune, you would run in the Super Sport Division, which requires you to have Level 2 safety gears: proper helmet, 2.5 lbs fire extinguisher, properly rated race suit arnd race glove, horse-collar, race shoes, 5, 6 or 7 pt harness and arms restraints. In this division, the max speed is 205, with a sucessful 150 run."

"Hope this helps. Be great to see another Heritage there."

"The above is the summary, you best bet is to read the Rules at the link."

This is partly incorrect (Bold text). Z Division requires level TWO clothing, not level 1. If a racer doesn't have level 2 gear, he/she can only run in GS, with a max speed of 165 mph. GS (165) is the only Division that permits Level 1 gear. To clarify, minimum level 2 clothing is a single-layer race suit WITH underwear, or a double-layer suit without, and no motorcycle helmets -- SA only.

Here's a quick "reference" Guide. As you can see, it only takes a level 2 race suit to move from 165 mph max to 205 max in a stock or P & T car:

Stock car ---- lvl 1safety clothing ---- GS 165 (harness recommended, NOT required)

Stock car ---- lvl 2 safety clothing ---- Z 190 (exhaust mod OK)(Harnesses permitted with factory mounts)

P & T --------- lvl 1 safety clothing ---- GS 165

P & T --------- lvl 2 safety clothing, harness required – SS 205

All other performance mods (1 power adder) ---- SS 205 (harness required)

Multiple power adders --- UNL --- lvl 2 clothing, harness (or higher) REQUIRED + license

Tires: Minimum ratings, "W" for GS165, "Y" for Z190 or SS (limited to 190mph), "(Y)" for speeds 190-205 mph

To go over 150 mph in any class with no previous experience, you must upgrade your Basic license with a pass between 140-150 mph. Turn in your time slip to Scoring to get your Sportsman (205 mph max) license. Racers with the appropriate experience will be granted a Sportsman license or higher upon Registration.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
BTW, how many of us are actually going?? Are more people going to sign up now that the SS division is 205mph??

I'll be there Skyrex, entry #83. My mods are exhaust and Bridgestone tires. Running in the Z class. Interesting my Safecraft 5 point harness is not allowed...why not increase safety over OEM 3 point? I assume I can wear my suit and gloves, though not required. Ran at Texas Mile so I hope I don't have to burn the first run at 150 mph.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I do not think I can go, because I have no tire date code on the Goodyear tires. I cannot afford four new tires just to get a date stamp! I can see a stamp on my GT500 Goodyear tires, but it looks like someone either ground off my date stamps or never placed them. My rear tires were installed last fall, just before going to Texas. My front tires are OEM.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I do not think I can go, because I have no tire date code on the Goodyear tires. I cannot afford four new tires just to get a date stamp! I can see a stamp on my GT500 Goodyear tires, but it looks like someone either ground off my date stamps or never placed them. My rear tires were installed last fall, just before going to Texas. My front tires are OEM.

All Goodyears for the FGT even the originals should make the date cutoff. The date code may be on the inside facing sidewall.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks, I was checking with Shadowman and he said the same thing. Kind of a pain, because I do not have a jack. All I was trying to do is fill out a form. Will they will have to have us pull off each wheel for tech inspection at the event?