First Annual Mojave Mile Event

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks, I was checking with Shadowman and he said the same thing. Kind of a pain, because I do not have a jack. All I was trying to do is fill out a form. Will they will have to have us pull off each wheel for tech inspection at the event?

A suggestion Triheart...if you have documents that show purchase date of the car and the tires are original, or, if you have bought tires after the car was purchased and have the receipt, then I would put an email into the folks at Mojave Mile and ask if that will suffice. I did not jack up my car and look at the inside sidewalls for the date codes, and did not fill out that part of the registration. I am going to bring the receipt of purchase for my Bridgestones (last August) in case they need proof the tires meet their date code satisfaction.

Last edited:

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Gentlemen,

I do not mean to put any kind of damper on the enthusiasm of any motorsports event, but I think that several of you have a misunderstanding about what you will be doing in any high speed competition.

To put things in perspective, lets just say you are driving down any local highway at a slightly illegal 80 mph, and you have a tire failure. With reasonable driving skill and and decent road conditions you should be able to carefully pull to the side of the road and stop your vehicle in approximately 500 to 700 feet. Now here you are at the Mojave MIle and you are nearing the mile marker, doing 160 mph, when your tire fails (possibly due to a lack of careful examination before the event) and it will now require a careful and skillful 1900 to 2200 feet to safely bring your three tired GT to a stop.

Energy relates to the square of the speed. Lets say your GT is capable of actually reaching 200 mph in the mile, and the tire gives up right then you are looking to control a three tired vehicle, with those three tires trying to handle those additional forces from the missing fourth tire. It will take you 3300 to 3700 feet to hopefully keep that GT under control and get it stopped safely.

This is why, before any competition, we go over our vehicle, be it the GT or my 217 mph Camaro, front to rear, top to bottom. We are checking all the nuts and bolts, the full examination of the tires (tread, and both sidewalls) looking for anything that might make life uncomfortable at these extreme speeds. Any GT owner who has spent a few moments underneath their car has seen loose pan bolts. Just one of those bolts getting into your tire at speed could ruin your whole day, if not your whole life.

All this just to say, this is serious, not to be taken as a light fun day at the airport.

Richard Hille
The GT School

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Richard is right on target!

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Sent in my registration and ordered my helmet/accesories yesterday. Installing the fire extinguisher today. :banana

Can you send me some pictures of the fire extinguisher you installed? Or anyone else out there, can you send me some pictures of a fire extinguisher installed in your GT?

I just faxed in my paperwork...

Mike

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Guys, I need a recomendation on a place to buy a suit and helmet for the event. I am located in San Diego so anywhere in Socal is fine or I can order it online. I'm 6'5" so I need a big suit.

Mike

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
mherman, go to the sparcousa.com website. They have some good prices on closeout items; however, an Arai helmet may fit you in the car better, look at the GP5W cause it has a wide eyeport.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Can you send me some pictures of the fire extinguisher you installed? Or anyone else out there, can you send me some pictures of a fire extinguisher installed in your GT?

Mike

I'll take a pic in the morning and post it for you. :cheers

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Guys, I need a recomendation on a place to buy a suit and helmet for the event. I am located in San Diego so anywhere in Socal is fine or I can order it online. I'm 6'5" so I need a big suit.

Mike

Mike

I order my suit at this place. http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/
I found that Lico (made by Sparco) to be the most economical for a SFI 3.2/5 rated multi-layered suit.

Ed

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Mike

1) Simpson Racing Products in New Braunfels, TX - http://simpsonraceproducts.com/

2) Wine Country Motor Sports in Sonoma, CA (Infineon Raceway) & Jupiter, FL (Moroso Motorsports Park) - www.winecountrymotorsports.com

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

Mike

Safecraft makes a great bracket that they sell with their 2.5 lb fire extinguisher. I mounts to the passenger seat track bolts. Snugs up right against the passenger seat on the floor. Check out their website.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Don't forget Wally's bracket....it's adjustable. Here's a few pics

http://www.fordgtparts.com/servlet/the-13/Fire-Extinguisher-Seat-Mount/Detail

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Don't forget Wally's bracket....it's adjustable. Here's a few pics

http://www.fordgtparts.com/servlet/the-13/Fire-Extinguisher-Seat-Mount/Detail

agreed. I bought the harness, clips, fire extinguisher, mounting bracket from Wally and Don. Great place for a one-stop shop to get the car Mile ready.

Ed

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Gentlemen,

I just got off the phone with Mike Borders and he gave me good news, at least for me. Those of us driving Ford GTs and other cars with original factory installed racing harness mounting points, (Those two torx bolts about shoulder height behind the seats) will be allowed to use racing harnesses in the AZ class. The rule book will be modified in the next few days to show this change.

I especially like this as I like to use my HANS device when traveling at these speeds, and it just doesn't work with the factory three point safety belt system.

See you guys there,
Richard Hille
The GT School

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
great news. I just got my entire box of safety equipment from Don and Wally at Fordgtparts.com. Looks great with great instructions as well.

just need a race suit, helmet, gloves, and socks.

Mike

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Ok Folks,

I am pleased to announce that a very good friend of mine, and fellow member of the USAS 200 MPH Club will be hosting a new One Mile acceleration event at Mojave Air and Space Port, Mojave, California on March 6th, 2010. The course covers 12,000 feet, so there will be plenty of space to slow down after the run up to speed. I will be running my Ford GT and really hope that the Ford GT Forum will give this venue a lot of support. That is the only way we can keep things like this going.

I certainly hope to see a bunch of my GT School alumni there.

Here's the list of suspects for the Mojave Mile Shootout:

TallCarGuy F
HHGT
GT4JR
PHXGT
STUNTS
KJRGT FFF
skyrex F
FastFreddy F
Fly GT40 F
OCPETE F
ObeyMyFast
Apollo F
sandman+1 FF
Ed Sims F
Chris A.
Kingman
HappyFeet F
Triheart7 F
Piana F
Chip Beck F
Gill Jr. +1 FF
BlackIce
Shadowman? (maybe, possibly, in a way, ish....)
SYCO GT
LOVE CHP

Richard Hille
The GT School

Are all you guys staying at any 1 hotel in particular for those that are coming up Friday night?

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I live about three hours away and will be driving in that morning.

Richard Hille
The GT School

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Here are the pics of the safecraft extinguisher finally. My camera decided it did not like my laptop for a couple days. :ack

If you get this one make sure you have a Torx screwdriver. The bolts in the car are torx and the replacement ones with the mount are allen wrench. Didn't have a torx......but my neighbor did. :lol :thumbsup

I will also be driving in the morning of the event. :cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 94

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Is that the "FGT tunnel" mount, or is it the general mount that comes with the extinguisher? The installation looks very nice!

The only thing is that the "largest" storage space inside the car seems to be blocked now.

Ed

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is that the "FGT tunnel" mount, or is it the general mount that comes with the extinguisher? The installation looks very nice!

The only thing is that the "largest" storage space inside the car seems to be blocked now.

Ed

Yes - That is the Safecraft FGT Tunnel mount - it's best to use some small standoffs or tape on the mount to keep it from scratching the tunnel.

http://www.safecraft.com/product_pa...roductCatID=1&ProductSubCatID=9&menu=&Search=

I have both the tunnel and the Thornhill mounting bracket that mounts under the seat rails.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/ford_safety.html#lp

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I don't have the Mac, so I have the "big" :wink pocket in the center for storage. :lol

It was a nice easy install. I don't know if the mounts have always had this feature, but mine has rubber bumpers where the mount meets the car to prevent scratching.