First Annual Mojave Mile Event

Mike Borders

Jan 6, 2010
Hmmmmm. I've always wanted to attend a GT event and just document the whole thing as a spectator. I've never gotten the photos I've wanted to, because I typically bring only a point and shoot camera to GT Rallies, and am busy enjoying the event as a driver. It'd be nice to professionally shoot a GT event. Not sure who I would talk to. I guess if I was working the event, that my wife and family couldn't accuse me of goofing off with my GT.

We are indeed talking to George Suennen, our MKM Photographer, about covering this event for us. We are also trying to set up video of all the runs as well. More on this in a few days.

For those who haven't seen George's work, I highly recommend his stuff. He patrols the event constantly taking thousands of candid shots of everyone and everything, then compiles them into a printer-quality photo CD you can purchase. He will also offer an artfully framed 8 x 10 static shot of your car for a nominal price. Ask Fast Freddy what these look like, as we provided them to our ORR participants.

Mike B

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Mike

Is there a qix link (or a list you can send) showing the participating cars? thx

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Okay, I think I have everything I need except the socks??? What exactly are the required socks?

Also I am a little confused about what you are allowed to wear under your suit. From what I am reading commando is not an option. :eek.......seriously I get the non cotton clothing, but I tried my suit on with shorts and a light tee but I think with thicker clothes it might not be too comfortable. Mike if you see this can you clarify the under suit requirements. One thing I read said nomex undies and one did not. Where do you even get fireproof underwear?? :cheers

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Tom,

You get the Nomex underwear from the same people that you buy the suit from. Generally you don't need Nomex undies if you have a two layer suit, but I wear them anyway. The socks are Nomex also.

Richard Hille
The GT School

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Where do you even get fireproof underwear?? :cheers

You might give a call to Sube Sports in Huntington Beach. Sparco is also headquartered locally in Orange County, CA.

Do it soon! Some of that stuff might have to be ordered.

Saferacer online drop shipped some stuff from Sparco to me before and it was delivered as promised, but do it soon.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Okay, I think I have everything I need except the socks??? What exactly are the required socks?

Also I am a little confused about what you are allowed to wear under your suit. From what I am reading commando is not an option. :eek.......seriously I get the non cotton clothing, but I tried my suit on with shorts and a light tee but I think with thicker clothes it might not be too comfortable. Mike if you see this can you clarify the under suit requirements. One thing I read said nomex undies and one did not. Where do you even get fireproof underwear?? :cheers

Tom,

You get the Nomex underwear from the same people that you buy the suit from. Generally you don't need Nomex undies if you have a two layer suit, but I wear them anyway. The socks are Nomex also.

Richard Hille
The GT School

You can get Nomex socks from a variety of manufacturers via Summit Racing. www.summitracing.com

They are pretty quick shipping, if in stock.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
We are indeed talking to George Suennen, our MKM Photographer, about covering this event for us. We are also trying to set up video of all the runs as well. More on this in a few days.

For those who haven't seen George's work, I highly recommend his stuff. He patrols the event constantly taking thousands of candid shots of everyone and everything, then compiles them into a printer-quality photo CD you can purchase. He will also offer an artfully framed 8 x 10 static shot of your car for a nominal price. Ask Fast Freddy what these look like, as we provided them to our ORR participants.

Mike B

thanks for the update Mike. George does great work :thumbsup

here is a pic that George took of me at the Bonneville 100 and here is a speed certificate from the HIGH Roller mile shootout :cheers

scan0002-1.jpg

scan-3.jpg

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Which Class to race in?

hey guys, I originally registered for the Z division for 190mph limit. I later switched it to the SS division for 205 mph

I have the pulley and tune. Based on the Texas mile results it does not appear even reaching 190mph is going to happen so should I or can I race in the Z division??

Mike

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
There is a windmill power farm nearby and there can be wicked high wind there. Hope for a high tailwind and stay in the SS. :banana

Seriously though, you most likely won't reach that speed but there is no penalty for being slower. Be optimistic!! :cheers

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Sounds good:thumbsup

Mike Borders

Jan 6, 2010
Mike, the pulley and tune takes you out of the Z Division, which is for stock, unmodified cars. With the P & T, you will be classed in the SS Division, so give it all you've got!

Mike B

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Thanks Mike. Let's hope for a tailwind!!!

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
mherman, go to the sparcousa.com website. They have some good prices on closeout items; however, an Arai helmet may fit you in the car better, look at the GP5W cause it has a wide eyeport.

Thanks for the recomendation, just bought the GP5W and some oakley shoes, gloves, socks. Got a good suit, ready to rock, come one tail wind....

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks for the recomendation, just bought the GP5W and some oakley shoes, gloves, socks. Got a good suit, ready to rock, come one tail wind....

If you are going to be driving with windows up, a nice mod for the GP-5W is the visor, then you can remove the face shield. They are hard to find in stock, so order it quickly, and you might be able to get it in time.

Protects from the sun, and you can breathe and see better.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
AS Syco says, the visor is a nice thing, but I found you have to send it to Arai in PA to get it done. Have them install HANS clips at the same time.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
weather forecast and altitude

I sure hope the weatherman is wrong, as it is showing 40% rain on Saturday....

I need our experts here to clarify this for me, a technical dummy, regarding altitude effects and supercharged engine (forced-air). someone said here that at 2700 ft above sea level will have a negative effect on our GTs performance, which make sense to me. However, I came across this at Wikicars.org (which says the supercharger compresses the air "back to the sea-level"....). Now, me don't know :confused:confused

"Altitude effects
A Rolls Royce Merlin engineA supercharger remedies this problem by compressing the air back to sea-level pressures, or even much higher. This can take some effort. On the single-stage single-speed supercharged Rolls Royce Merlin engine for instance, the supercharger uses up about 150 horsepower (110 kW). Yet the benefits are huge, for that 150 hp (110 kW) lost, the engine is delivering 1000 hp (750 kW) when it would otherwise deliver 750 hp (560 kW). And while the engine might be fooled into thinking it's at sea level, the airframe is quite aware of the halved air density and the plane thus has half the drag. For this reason supercharged planes fly much faster at higher altitudes.

A supercharger is only able to supply so much pressure because the compression increases the air temperature, and the engine is limited in maximum charge-air temperature before engine knock occurs. The boost is typically measured as the altitude at which the supercharger can still supply sea level pressure (100 kPa or 1000 mbar) and is referred to as the critical altitude. Throughout WWII British superchargers generally had higher critical altitudes than their German counterparts and, when combined with higher octane fuels that the Americans supplied, that allowed for higher boost levels. British engines were generally able to outperform German ones."

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I sure hope the weatherman is wrong, as it is showing 40% rain on Saturday....

Ed

Good to know I am not the only one watching the weather. :wink

It will all work out. How often are the weather guys actually right?? Besides this is California, it never rains all day......does it?? :biggrin :cheers

I am prepped and ready.......BRING ON THE MOJAVE MILE!!!

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Good to know I am not the only one watching the weather. :wink

It will all work out. How often are the weather guys actually right?? Besides this is California, it never rains all day......does it?? :biggrin :cheers

I am prepped and ready.......BRING ON THE MOJAVE MILE!!!

Never know till the day before.....out here

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Alright, I need some help. I just heard from Arai and they just now tell me the helmet is back ordered....:(

I'm running in the SS division.

1. Can I use an approved helmet with a visor only?

2. If no on #1 can I borrow someones helmet Saturday since mine is now arriving next week????

Mike

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Weather Forecast

The good news is a cooling trend is predicted 36 low to 52 high, the bad news is rain (60%) is well. :ack

An 11 mph crosswind is also forecasted.

I would prefer a 40 mph tailwind, low humidity, with temps in the high 40s and NO RAIN!

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA0715