First Annual Mojave Mile Event

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
LarryS,

A completely stock GT, like mine, is allowed to go 190 mph if the driver has the experience and/or past racing background to match that. The car itself will probably run about 170 +/- MPH in the mile.

Richard Hille
The GT School

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
LarryS,

A completely stock GT, like mine, is allowed to go 190 mph if the driver has the experience and/or past racing background to match that. The car itself will probably run about 170 +/- MPH in the mile.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Completely stock??? :confused Last time I saw your car it was missing a bumper. :wink :lol .......oh yeah and I almost forgot those cool new gadgets in the engine compartment.

Still signed up and still excited!! :cheers

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the world record for a bone stock GT is 172 mph at a sea level track. the Mojave Mile is 2700' above sea level. i seriously doubt a bone stock GT will go faster than 170 mph at the Mojave Mile unless there is a HUGE tailwind.

all bone stock GT's will run in the "AUTO Z" class which allows speeds up to 190 mph with stock safety equipment (seat belts, etc.) and a helmet, etc.

according to the rule book all pulley and tune GT's will be in the "Super Sport" class which allows for speeds up to 190 mph. but for this class you will need 5 or 6 point restraints and a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher mounted in the cockpit. you will also need a myriad of personal safety equipment such as a 2 layer firesuit, etc.

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
according to the rule book all pulley and tune GT's will be in the "Super Sport" class which allows for speeds up to 190 mph. but for this class you will need 5 or 6 point restraints and a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher mounted in the cockpit. you will also need a myriad of personal safety equipment such as a 2 layer firesuit, etc.

so again, I ask.

how fast is a completely stock GT allowed to go?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
so again, I ask.

re-read my post as i already answered your question...... you only quoted half of my post???

also at the top of this page TallCarGuy answered your question as well :thumbsup

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
so again, I ask.

The class for stock GT's are not to exceed 190.

Which can not be accomplished in one mile in a stock GT.

They'll do mid 170's on a good day.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
LarryS,

Maybe what you are asking is unrelated to the cars capabilities. If you are running a Ford GT in this event, you will need - five or six point harness, a fire extinguisher and a nomex (or equivalent) driver's suit and of course an approved helmet. Maybe that's what you were asking? You can not run a "fast" car at a "fast speed" in street clothing with factory safety belts. CORRECTION - Mike Borders has contacted me and corrected my misconception - In the "Auto Z" class you WILL be using the factory safety belts.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It you have a "power added" it bumps you up a class, to Super Sport, that class requires more safety equipment than most (Level 2), if not all, owners will not meet, ROLL BAR!, arm restraints.

eg. power added, Whipple, TT, NOS.

So if you have a Whipple or TT what speed if any can you run?

Last edited:

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
LarryS,

CORRECTION - Mike Borders has contacted me and corrected my misconception - In the "Auto Z" class you WILL be using the factory safety belts.

Richard Hille
The GT School

My question is,
How fast will they let you go in a 100% stock car ??????

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
My question is,
How fast will they let you go in a 100% stock car ??????

As fast as you can pedal it.

However, if you exceed the class limit, you'll be out on the trailer
and sent home.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
LarryS,

If they approve the driver for a 190 MPH limit, they will allow a completely 100% stock Ford GT to go as fast as it is capable of going in a one mile acceleration run which is about 170ish MPH. That said, if you are running the completely stock class "Z" and your Helmet and driver's suit are up to spec and you as a driver get the approval to go for the 190 limit, you are then ALLOWED to go up to 190 MPH. The car will not be capable, in completely stock trim to get to 190, but you will be approved to try.

I hope that answers your question.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Last edited:

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
Thanks Richard,
so if I am approved, I am OK up to 190 (which my car will not do)
with fire suit, helmet & standard oem seat belts (I do not want to
modify my car)

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Thanks Richard,
so if I am approved, I am OK up to 190 (which my car will not do)
with fire suit, helmet & standard oem seat belts (I do not want to
modify my car)

I just saw this post. While I want to come do this and I will be there to cheer you guys on, I have 3 boys 7,4,and 2. Maybe when they are older I will do it. I hate to miss little league, pop warner, and basketball games because I blew a tire at 195MPH and bought the farm in the Mojave.

I did hit 147mph in the Mojave on Friday but I was not on an airstrip:)

Last edited:

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I just saw this thread as well...

So, who is going? I read one of the posts stated there are 69 participants, of which, 8 are FGT? I went to the MojaveMile site, but couldn't find a link to participant list, curious as to what kind of cars also signed up.

Ed

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
The list is hard to find, it's on their forum. here's a link.

http://www.mojavemile.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I have read the rule book and to the best of my understanding a FGT with a Whipple would be in the Super Sport Division (SS) since it as a "power adder."

This division must meet level 2 safety requirements.

Level 2 safety requires a roll bar unless an exemption is given. Note that a Z06 has an exemption, but I have yet to hear about any exemption for a FGT. I sent an email to the man in charge without a response yet. Does anyone knows if an exemption was given?

Attachments

• Screen CapturesSP32-20100112-210407.gif
    Screen CapturesSP32-20100112-210407.gif
    58.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen CapturesSP32-20100112-210457.gif
    Screen CapturesSP32-20100112-210457.gif
    60.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen CapturesSP32-20100112-210126.gif
    Screen CapturesSP32-20100112-210126.gif
    53.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I have talked to Mike and he assures me that the GT (and the X1) can run up to 190 with no roll cage. He was supposed to get back about speeds over that, have not heard. So if you won't pass 190, you're good with helment, race clothes and harness, not sure about fire ext.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I have talked to Mike and he assures me that the GT (and the X1) can run up to 190 with no roll cage. He was supposed to get back about speeds over that, have not heard. So if you won't pass 190, you're good with helment, race clothes and harness, not sure about fire ext.

I don't think I will run past 190, but the rule book doesn't class the safety equipement by speed class, but rather the car's modifications. From my reading you can have a modded Camry and have to get a roll bar!

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
That's correct, but he assured me that the GT specifically, has the structural build that substitutes for a roll bar. So he was saying that the GT actually already has a roll bar built in at the factory.

I don't want anyone to make plans based on my phone call, I may have it wrong, but I don't think so. I'm going with a tune, pulley, exhaust and no roll bar or top, expect to run super sport class and hit about 175-180 ish.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I don't think I will run past 190, but the rule book doesn't class the safety equipement by speed class, but rather the car's modifications. From my reading you can have a modded Camry and have to get a roll bar!

I was thinking the same thing when I read the rules. I was still wondering how many modifications a Whipple counted?