First Annual Mojave Mile Event

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
wait - you're right: I am special!

Thanks for the reminder Dr F. I can do the sub-190 class. I'll do a few warm up runs & then pull a Soroush at 190+.

Special Ed

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Ok Folks,

I hope this answers a lot of questions including Apollo's:

We can now verbally commit to participating by calling the promoter - speak to Mary at 702 614-6108. She will take down your name, year - make & model of car or cars you will be driving. If you have more than one driver per car be sure to tell her their name(s) also.

Prepare for some serious fun. :banana

Richard Hille
The GT School

Thanks Richard! We'll give her a call this week. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Gentlemen,

Wow, if this is really the deal then no big-power Ford GTs will be able to run. This was going to be my first event with my brand-new Heffner Twin Turbos and the whole reason I would be going would be to bust 200 mph. Full roll cages and foam filled bladder fuel cells are obviously a non-starter.

#s 1,2,3, & 4 are okay. #5 & 6 are deal killers. Is there any chance the Ford GT would be given an exemption?

Chip

I'm with Chip!

2 - exemption if hand held fire and automatic Safecraft system in engine bay.
4 - exemption if you have 5 or 6 points attach correctly to the seat frame.
5 - exemption because the FGT frame is adequately strong, (C6 Vettes have an exemption)
6 - exemption because the FGT has the fuel tank in about the safest location in the center of the car surrounded by a large crush zone on all sides.

Would like not to have to get a Hans also, but it wouldn't be a show stopper.

I heard a rumor that someone in a FGT when over 217 without a fire suit, gloves and the stock seat belts. So is must be OK!
I know that Fastcat doesn't need a closed road for anything under 200.
I know a guy driving a FGT dressed like Ricky Rudd on Halloween doesn't need a closed road to do 195+.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Mary Might Know

KJRGT - when you call Mary ask her for a GT exemption. Let us know if we're in or not!

Ed

PS Who is Mary?

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I called Mary today and gave her my info. I did not ask about the specifics of run class nor did she ask me what class I would be running. She asked what safety equipment I have. I told her that I have a six point harness, Helmet, Fire suit, in car monted fire extinguisher and engine mounted fire supression system.

I have a gen. two Whipple and plan to make several runs around 190 at first. I would love to make 200, but I am not going to sweat it if I do not. Hopefully the organizers will make an exception for the roll bar and gas tank.

Kevin

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
I received a call from Mary today. She asked about my safety equipment and let me know that I had 2 spots reserved.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Okay guys,

Because of my open road racing in the Unlimited Class (racing against the Mojave Mile promoter) and my 7 time USAS 200 MPH Club membership, I believe that I will be granted an Unlimited license. That said, my GT has racing harnesses and will have a fire extinguisher but will probably not come anywhere near the 190 limit because it is still mechanically stock.

The reason they have set up the rules is that one bad accident and this is potentially over forever. They need to know that a driver is capable of handling a car that is not functioning perfectly. It is rather easy to drive in a straight line at 200+ mph with everything all working, it is entirely different when you blow a tire at 200+ as has happened to me two separate times. How you handle a non-perfect run is probably more important to the promoter than how you do with everything working fine.

Work with him (Mike Borders) and he'll work with you. He wants everybody to be happy and want to come back. He also has insurance requirements that he must meet.

I hope to see you all there,
Richard Hille
The GT School

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
So does that mean the no rules exemption for the FGT?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
this event appears to me to be run in a very similar fashion to the "HIGH Roller Mile Shootout" that i raced at last year in my 01' Viper ACR. that being the case MKM's races have bracket racing classes for both pure street and race cars. they also have an unlimited class. that being the case, at the Mojave Mile the fastest bracket class available is the "Super Sport" class which has target speeds up to 190 mph. in other words if i go 190.000 mph and you go 189.999 mph i win and you lose. any vehicle with a speed in excess of 190.000 mph such as 190.001 would be considered a "breakout" just like in 1/4 mile drag racing.

its just like 1/4 mile bracket racing but instead of ET...... MKM bases it off of speed. at the "HIGH Roller Shootout" i raced my 01' Viper ACR in the 180 mph "AUTO A" class. they had one class faster than mine for bracket cars which was 190 mph and a Viper similar to mine had registered for it. he was the only car in that class and on his first pass he broke down. i was the fastest car there and won 2 of the fastest classes and was the only one with a perfect speed of 180.000 mph regardless of class. i won't miss the Mojave Mile even if they stick me in a slower class because all the classes below 190 mph are bracket classes anyway......

the Mojave Mile has a faster class than the Super Sport class that is for cars wanting to go 190+ mph. it is the unlimited class. unfortunately as the rule book reads currently a GT would have to have a roll cage for this class and that is the BIGGEST issue beyond experience. bottomline is anything over 190 mph is considered unlimited in terms of safety according to both MKM's rulebook and the Texas Mile as it pertains to roll cages.

just for the record though my 01' Viper ACR has a 5 point roll bar in it :wink

according to MKM's rule book though the 190 mph Super Sport class only requires "level 2" safety mods to the car in which some cars roll bars and roll cages are exempt which to my knowledge includes some Corvette coupes, all Viper coupes and Ford GT's that have not been modified to GTX1's. so based on my previous experience with MKM racing i am eligible to race in this class. the only hurdle i need to jump is the roll bar exemption and i feel confident that me and my GT will qualify as i only have a pulley and tune. a whipple would be wind dependent and twin turbos would be a no go. sorry to rain on your parade guys but me and my GT are qualified for this event and i plan on racing in the 190 mph class as long as the Tech Director gives me a waiver for the roll bar rules based on my prior experience. but the Tech inspector makes the rules though and i agree with what he says though. and so if on the day of tech he decides to deny me entry to this class then i will accept his decision and move on, because if i die out there he has to live with that on his mind for the rest of his life and i don't.

MKM's one mile top speed shootouts are scored just like 1/4 mile bracket racing therefore just like the NHRA the rules are more strict for your safety as these organizations are far more Professional than the Texas mile when it comes to your safety. the NHRA's rule books states that no car is allowed to run quicker than a 11.50 in the 1/4 mile without a rollbar and no car is allowed to run quicker than 10.00 without a rollcage and "PRO LICENSE". my 01' Camaro SS will be getting a 6 point cage next year as i intend to run 10.00 flat.

that being the case i do not know of any other racing organization in America that will let you bend the rules on cages like the Texas Mile will. so if you wanna go 190+ mph in any car with no cage or bar than obviously the Texas Mile is the place to do it.

the BONNEVILLE salt flats have the fastest racing classes in the world with JET cars going 700+ mph and even at this event you need a cage in any car to go 190+ mph......

i am well aware that to read, decipher and understand some of these rule books from these different racing organizations can be complicated but i have raced cars, trucks, boats and motorcycles with no less than 10 different race organizations over the last 15 years; and if you can't read and understand the rule book then i don't want to be racing next to you on a race track......

good luck with the Texas Mile guys but i will always support a race that is closer to my house than farther away. with that said of the 10 different racing organizations that i have raced in over the last 15 years; MKM's organization and races are the best i have ever experienced.

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I too spoke with Mary today. Couple of quick add ons to what Richard and Freddy posted.

I asked some of the questions that have been concerning everyone. First she said it is better to put your name in now and withdraw later as money is not required right away and they are limiting the event to 150 slots. Again, you can say yes and change your mind later at no cost.

Second she asked me to call back on Friday to talk to Mike. She gave me the impression exceptions can be made, but it would have to go through Mike. I think that most of the issues I have seen can be resolved, and I hope to TT my car at some point and run at over 200 in these types of events, but I would not be willing to roll cage my GT either.

That said, didn't I read that exceptions for the GT in other events have been made due to how well constructed the car is??

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I too spoke with Mary today. Couple of quick add ons to what Richard and Freddy posted.

I asked some of the questions that have been concerning everyone. First she said it is better to put your name in now and withdraw later as money is not required right away and they are limiting the event to 150 slots. Again, you can say yes and change your mind later at no cost.

Second she asked me to call back on Friday to talk to Mike. She gave me the impression exceptions can be made, but it would have to go through Mike. I think that most of the issues I have seen can be resolved, and I hope to TT my car at some point and run at over 200 in these types of events, but I would not be willing to roll cage my GT either.

That said, didn't I read that exceptions for the GT in other events have been made due to how well constructed the car is??

I think this is a great approach. I think that if we could have one or two "representatives" of the Ford GT speak with the event organizer we may have a better chance of being considered an exception to the Roll Bar dilemma. If we all call up and rattle them they may just say no.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I think this is a great approach. I think that if we could have one or two "representatives" of the Ford GT speak with the event organizer we may have a better chance of being considered an exception to the Roll Bar dilemma. If we all call up and rattle them they may just say no.

Richard is in Charge of this deal but i will be calling MKM tommorow to plead my case for the 190 mph Super Sport Class. if you guys want to try and make a case for the unlimited class then you should go through Richard for that......:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV

+1 I agree with Tri. I also know that someone more knowledgeable than me should make the case. :wink I am pretty good on the footwork/accelerator/shifting side :driving: and not so much on the technical specifications :confused of why our cars should be given the exemption.

I am going either way (and if I need to make a couple of slow passes to work my way up so be it), but I would think a strong initial sign up of GT's would certainly help our cause. Hopefully the more interest they see the more likely they would rule in our favor on the roll cage issue. So sign up early and often!! :lol :cheers

Richard is in Charge of this deal but i will be calling MKM tommorow to plead my case for the 190 mph Super Sport Class. if you guys want to try and make a case for the unlimited class then you should go through Richard for that......:thumbsup

I don't think you will have trouble making your point! They don't just put fast in front or your name for no reason. :biggrin :cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
No cage or fuel cell for me! No 3 hour wait in line for me!

I'm withdrawing my name from the list of forum participants. I don't want to have to beg to be let in & ask for exemptions, etc. What started out as an event for GTs now has 150 cars/motorcycles in one day! No thanks.

Ed

PS With 150 vehicles, approximately one vehicle every 4 minutes (with no breaks all day) it will be 10 hours long. There is approximately 10.5 hours of daylight in mid-March in that part of CA. I think most participants will be lucky to get 3 runs for the event. I also feel half of those vehicles will be those annoying little imports from SoCal.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I am leaning in Ed's direction.

This goes to show how special Rally IV was. Dave did a great job lining up the events for us FGT owners to enjoy in a safe venue. The TX World Speedway and TX mile only for FGT was great and the drag strip at Hennessey's was fantastic as well. I have only been to the drag track once before about 18 years ago, made 2 runs and said to myself the waiting in line SUCKS! Never did it again. A Hennessey's track there was never a wait. :biggrin :thumbsup

What speeds can a GTX1 enter in? I know an owner that was planning to go, but if limited to a slow speed < 190 would probably not attend.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I never fully committed because I was concerned about the rules.

What would an event/strip rental cost.....maybe we do it ourselves.....GT forum members only

There was 25 or so committed, get that number up to 30.....$400.00 each......thats $12K

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I never fully committed because I was concerned about the rules.

What would an event/strip rental cost.....maybe we do it ourselves.....GT forum members only

There was 25 or so committed, get that number up to 30.....$400.00 each......thats $12K

I am with Chris. I would rather pay more and wait less. The biggest issues are creating a safe venue and knowing and limiting legal liabilities. Maybe one of the attorneys on the forum and chime in.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
GT Only Event

I would gladly support & attend a GT Only event! I loved the Texas Mile when it was just us. All the runs you wanted, No Speed Limits & no accidents.

Ed

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Gentlemen,

If you read my posts carefully you will realize that this WAS NEVER A GT ONLY EVENT. I was just letting you guys know early on about an upcoming event. As I have stated previously I AM NOT RUNNING THIS EVENT. I am just one of the participants. I am NOT representing the GT Owners in this event. I am just keeping a log of those that were interested and relaying that information to the organizer.

While I agree that a strong showing of GTs will carry some clout regarding exceptions to the rule(s), I also believe that safety is a foremost consideration with Mike Boarders. Having crashed at 140 MPH myself and knowing that Mike has crashed at over 190 MPH we both really appreciate that safety equipment is there for a reason. It is kind of like buying a helmet, people often ask me how much they should spend, and I ask them - what is your head and brain worth? I know how strong the GT roof structure is and would personally be comfortable traveling over 200 in it with a racing harness, a helmet and my Hans device. Whether Mike feels the same way I have no idea. It is HIS SHOW and he gets to make the rules.

Richard Hille
The GT School (NOT THE MOJAVE MILE)

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hi Richard,

I think we are eager to try to get into that 190 or 200 MPH level, so I think some are frustrated, to have run into the "roll bar" dilemma. A GT Only event would be cool, such as we had in Texas. However, I am sure that there would be a lot of hurdles to put on such event.

I wanted to personally thank you for promoting Mohave event to the Forum members. I hope we have not frustrated you with our enthusiasm. I hope Mike agrees with the safety of the GT, but again you are right, it is his event.

Kevin