First Annual Mojave Mile Event

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
SYCO GT,

You are on the list, if you commit to coming, I'll put the F next to your name (F is for Firm Commitment)

Richard Hille
The GT School

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Driving home from Vegas yesterday I was bored so I snapped a few pics of the airport from the 58 as I was driving by.........in a safe manner of course. :wink

Is it obvious that I am looking forward to this?? :driving: :cheers

i want to salute you as you sky dive in to the Mojave Mile during the national anthem......:usa

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
i want to salute you as you sky dive in to the Mojave Mile during the national anthem......:usa

Actually there used to be a big skydiving center in California City that I used to jump/instruct at that is right next to Mojave. I have seen the Mojave strip from the air more times than I can count. The drop zone had a contract with the military to train their jumpers who were based at Edwards Air Force Base. :usa All of the military jumpers were great guys and gals!!

That said jumping into the airport would be an very easy and fun jump. I love to do demonstration jumps........except Stadium jumps. Stadium jumps are a little tricky. You get weird wind once you dip into the bowl as you head for the field. It can be a little nerve wracking. :cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 269

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
That would be a great intro. Let's all get Tom to sky dive into a rolling GTX-1 for the inaugural event!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
That would be a great intro. Let's all get Tom to sky dive into a rolling GTX-1 for the inaugural event!

:lol:lol Thank you Randy for adding to the degree of difficulty!!

I was thinking more of landing next to the open door of my GT wearing my racing helmet and driving suit, taking off my skydiving gear and then jumping :wink in my car for an acceleration run before my parachute hit the ground.

Of course your idea would be very cool too, I would just need a different parachute than mine. :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Maybe STUNTS can get you some pointers on how to parachute into a GTX1 at 150+ MPH while its in the middle of its mile run. I am sure that clip would be useful in some future action movie.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Maybe STUNTS can get you some pointers on how to parachute into a GTX1 at 150+ MPH while its in the middle of its mile run. I am sure that clip would be useful in some future action movie.

British Flag Parachute, for her majesty's secret service.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008

There is one way to do that. It is called CGI! :lol

Back in 2000 MTV filmed a guy I knew landing on a train that was going about 25mph. He barely made the back of the top car and got blown backwards almost landing on the tracks. I couldn't find a video clip for some reason, but here is a link to pics and his account of it..... http://troyhartman.com/train_landing.htm

British Flag Parachute, for her majesty's secret service.

Flag jumps and smoke jumps are fun. I would have to work on my limey accent though. :wink :cheers

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
OK, You guys are starting to make this sound like to much fun to miss! Maybe I can just fly in on business to CA. and drive out and watch. To close to the Texas Mile to bring the car, but, ya'll sound like this maybe an event to be at!!!:banana

Larry

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
Mojave Mile

Richard: Put me down for the mile. What is the date? I missed Texas although signed up and paid because my father passed away the weekend before. Really looking forward to doing this. What equipment required,etc.? Thanks, Richard S.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Mohave Mile--March 6, 2010

hope this helps
Ok Folks,

I am pleased to announce that a very good friend of mine, and fellow member of the USAS 200 MPH Club will be hosting a new One Mile acceleration event at Mojave Air and Space Port, Mojave, California on March 6th, 2010. The course covers 12,000 feet, so there will be plenty of space to slow down after the run up to speed. I will be running my Ford GT and really hope that the Ford GT Forum will give this venue a lot of support. That is the only way we can keep things like this going.

I certainly hope to see a bunch of my GT School alumni there.

Here's the list of suspects for the Mojave Mile Shootout:

TallCarGuy F
HHGT
GT4JR
PHXGT
STUNTS
KJRGT FF
skyrex F
FastFreddy F
Fly GT40 F
OCPETE F
ObeyMyFast
Apollo F
sandman+1 FF
Ed Sims F
Chris A.
Kingman
HappyFeet F
Triheart7 F
Piana F
Chip Beck F
Gill Jr. +1 FF
BlackIce
Shadowman? (maybe, possibly, in a way, ish....)
SYCO GT

Richard Hille
The GT School

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Richard S. (LOVE CHP),

I have put you on the list. As to what equipment is required, generally they will let you run with a completely stock vehicle but will limit your maximum speed. If you want to go faster you need better safety equipment. My GT will have racing harnesses and a fire extinguisher. My engine is completely stock so I expect that I will not exceed the speed that equipment will allow.

The entry fee is expected to be around $200.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Good Morning Richard ,
Will there be a chance to open our GT's up for a longer run? Let's say a mile and half so we can achieve 200 mph . I would really like to get that mark in a safe place like this. I have a pulley tune and exhaust so I should be able to hit in the area of 180's but nowhere near 200 within the mile. Or am I wrong with the cooler condition at about mile and half would it hit 200 mph?

Best Regards,

Happy Feet

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Happy Feet,

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask, as I have never run a one mile acceleration run. As to the distance of this event, I think the promoter is pretty well set on it being a One Mile event.

You could always come out to their Bonneville 100 Open Road Race next June 24th to 26th in West Wendover, NV and run your car for 100 miles total.... I'll be there with my Unlimited Class Camaro looking for my 8th plaque on the 200 MPH Club board.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hi Richard,

I plan on doing the Mojave Mile. I was checking out the Bonneville 100, but still not exacly sure how it works. Do you predict a pace and try to stay at that pace?

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Triheart7,

The program is set up with various speed classes based on your safety equipment and experience. Generally a Ford GT with a set of racing harnesses and a fire extinguisher will be allowed to top out at 168 MPH and have an AVERAGE speed for the 100 miles of 150. YOu don't get to do that the first time out, you will have to work up to that.

The classes start at 95 MPH average all the way up to 175 MPH average. This group doesn't have an Unlimited Class. I'll be running in the 175 MPH class. My "speed limit" for most of the course is 200 MPH but there is an area called the Speed Trap , a six mile straight where I am allowed to exceed 200 MPH. I've hit 215 MPH on that straight before and am hoping for a bit more next June.

The people involved are terrific. We arrive either Wednesday evening or Thursday day and have a practice day on Friday. I've been a rookie instructor there for years. If you come, you WILL have fun.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks Richard,

That sounds like a lot of fun. I like the idea, that you can work your way up in speed.

Kevin

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Hello Richard,

Wow! I got alot to learn thank you again for the info!

Best Regards,

Happy Feet

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Richard,
Two of my friends have committed to the Mojave Mile event. :thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter