First Annual Mojave Mile Event

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
KJRGT,

You are now triple F'ed.... Should you be Quadrupled?

Richard Hille
The GT School

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
KJRGT,

You are now triple F'ed.... Should you be Quadrupled?

Richard Hille
The GT School

Yes. I've got two firm commitments.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
With the amount of running room available would a person be able to push a stock car on towards the 200 mile mark ( gps verification would be all I would need) or would we have to shut down at the end of the measured mile? For example an extra 1/4mile would leave almost a full mile of braking distance.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
when to brake

Don't brake until you see God!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Remember the young kid that posted on this forum asking for advice on how to drive fast. IMHO I wouldn't want to push the braking zone!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/26/five-young-men-killed-when-bmw-flies-off-runway/

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Hi Richard,
Is registration per car, or per driver? We will have one GT, two drivers... Monica and I.

Thanks.
Terry

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Enzo at Mojave

This was taken at Mojave. The Enzo appears slow compared to a the modified Vett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WftiQQcrH7A

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I am perfectly willing to volunteer to do a test run and video it on my way to Vegas next weekend for the sake of the Forum to see how the runway is and report back (with vid) on what speeds I can reach in a mile and a quarter. :wink :lol

BTW.....it looks like there was a bit of room to the starting line (taxi-way) in that vid for not just a rolling start but a running start like they did at Stormcat's Miami event. If I remember right he hit around 207 with a running start at the line of around 60mph.......maybe there can be standing mile runs and starting at 60 mile runs. I know wishful thinking.............. :biggrin :banana

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I am not in charge of this event and don't make the rules. It is my understanding that we will not have access to the entire 12,000 feet of runway. We WILL have a ONE mile acceleration area and an adequate shutdown area that will not require extreme braking to stop safely. That said, I would not be surprised if the promoter didn't throw out anybody that dangerously pushed the limits.

The only way these events survive is by participation of responsible people. One bad accident will ruin everyones day and probably stop anyone from doing these things in California ever again.

Richard Hille
The GT School

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Definitely understand safety first and I for one hope this event takes off. :thumbsup

That said I think some of us want that legal 200mph run and know we don't have quite enough to make it happen in a mile. (plus in my case I do not think I am willing to dump the clutch for that hard launch :lol) All the more reason to upgrade to a TT or a TT/SC in the future!! :biggrin :banana

Okay, I am going to give myself a :slap and go back to my room. Thanks for putting up with all of us nuts Richard. :cheers

BTW......the website looks like it is coming along nicely. :driving::driving: http://mojavemile.com/ :driving::driving:although they could have used a GT on the page. :wink

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I am putting this on my to do list for SoCal, hope to see you all there.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
top speed event

Skyrex - since it's not a timed event don't rush the start. No need to even think about dumping the clutch.

Ed

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
You are correct Ed. Reaction time is not an issue with these mile runs. We really don't care how long it takes just what the best speed is.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Richard the mojave mile wesbsite is up and running. as i understand it the event will more or less be run like the "HIGH Roller Mile Shoootout" last year at Nellis AFB. that being the case Richard i would like to race my GT in the 190 mph super sport class as i have all the required safety epuipment and experience for level 2.

here is a link to the site > www.mojavemile.com

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The Mojave Mile web site looks pretty good now.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Are we registering as a group or individually?
Thanks.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Ok Folks,

I hope this answers a lot of questions including Apollo's:

We can now verbally commit to participating by calling the promoter - speak to Mary at 702 614-6108. She will take down your name, year - make & model of car or cars you will be driving. If you have more than one driver per car be sure to tell her their name(s) also.

Prepare for some serious fun. :banana

Richard Hille
The GT School

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Mojave Mile requirements

Has anyone read the rules that are online for the Mojave Mile? If you want to drive slow then no problem. If you want to go 190mph or faster there are a lot of problems.

1) Mojave Mile license - evidence of previous speed events to get this one

2) fire suppression system - not hand held, 5lb cable operated

3) Hans style device for SA 2000 helmet with multi-layer suit

4) race harness bolted to frame or cage (not seat)

5) full roll cage

6) foam-filled bladder type fuel cell with automatic shut-off valve

It is also stated there may be a requirement to display the Mojave Mile sponsor stickers. I believe there will be many. many participants at this event. Initially, I thought it would be run like the Texa Mile & mostly for GTs. I may not go now since I don't want to drive slow. If I want to go less than 190 I'll stick to the highways!

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget, you are "Special."

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Houston we have a problem.

1) Mojave Mile license - evidence of previous speed events to get this one

2) fire suppression system - not hand held, 5lb cable operated

3) Hans style device for SA 2000 helmet with multi-layer suit

4) race harness bolted to frame or cage (not seat)

5) full roll cage

6) foam-filled bladder type fuel cell with automatic shut-off valve.

Gentlemen,

Wow, if this is really the deal then no big-power Ford GTs will be able to run. This was going to be my first event with my brand-new Heffner Twin Turbos and the whole reason I would be going would be to bust 200 mph. Full roll cages and foam filled bladder fuel cells are obviously a non-starter.

#s 1,2,3, & 4 are okay. #5 & 6 are deal killers. Is there any chance the Ford GT would be given an exemption?

Chip