Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Great news!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I've dead hooked 1150 HP from the hit on drag radials on a prepped track 12-14 times PLUS all the other stuff I've done over the last 4 years and haven't broke anything in the tranny(except the stock sub axles which were replaced 3+ years ago). Tranny is stock except for the axles and clutch.

thanks for the info :thumbsup how many miles do you have on your GT?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I've dead hooked 1150 HP from the hit on drag radials on a prepped track 12-14 times PLUS all the other stuff I've done over the last 4 years and haven't broke anything in the tranny(except the stock sub axles which were replaced 3+ years ago). Tranny is stock except for the axles and clutch.

I Just bought some MT et 2s 305 35 19 so I was kinda worried about sticky tires. What axles upgrades are there?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I Just bought some MT et 2s 305 35 19 so I was kinda worried about sticky tires. What axles upgrades are there?
I think they are from FL Performance Power.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
thanks for the info :thumbsup how many miles do you have on your GT?

14000 easy miles. ;)

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

Performance Products

All this discussion about (non)availability of transaxles and parts has me a bit concerned. I plan to keep my car for quite awhile, so I'm wondering if buying a spare, even at the awful present cost, is a good idea. If they 1)don't build more for the next few years, and 2)prices keep rising, it seems like its worth doing.

Opinions?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'd just buy another GT so I'd have two of every part.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
All this discussion about (non)availability of transaxles and parts has me a bit concerned. I plan to keep my car for quite awhile, so I'm wondering if buying a spare, even at the awful present cost, is a good idea. If they 1)don't build more for the next few years, and 2)prices keep rising, it seems like its worth doing.

Opinions?

I have heard from what I consider reliable sources that OE part pricing for GT parts unfortunately has to consider price points to discourage hoarding by some who would like to corner the market of a specific part. Part pricing reflective of actual component costs sometimes encourages owners to purchase large quantities and obviously skews the supply-demand curve. Just a fact of life. Therefore, disencouragement is priced into some (or all, I really do not know) parts.

With regard specifically to our transaxle, I believe for the complexity of this component, the number of owners modifying engine power (in some cases 100% over stock power) the Ricaro unit has demonstrated an excellent service history. As earlier posted, it appears Ford has a good supply of units on hand if you do need one. Only problem is the unit price will most probably rise. This pricing escalation will be exacerbated by people buying spare units to gather dust in a storage area just in case. I think I would park my $20K transaxle cost in some other financial instrument.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Personally, a spare transaxle would be an extremely low priority. As Indy GT mentions, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of GT owners on this site with cars producing 20-100% more power than OEM and I can only find a very small handful of owners that have had their transaxle replaced, and some of those had been altered.

FMC is already pretty touchy about resellers and hoarders scooping up GT parts, and that is unlikely to change, hence the recent VIN requirements.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I know!!! talk about VIN requirements I couldnt even make a "ford gt Table" without having to give out my VIN.. they were acting like its the last set of brake rotors for had in stock!! I still have not gotten the other two!

Personally, a spare transaxle would be an extremely low priority. As Indy GT mentions, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of GT owners on this site with cars producing 20-100% more power than OEM and I can only find a very small handful of owners that have had their transaxle replaced, and some of those had been altered.

FMC is already pretty touchy about resellers and hoarders scooping up GT parts, and that is unlikely to change, hence the recent VIN requirements.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know!!! talk about VIN requirements I couldnt even make a "ford gt Table" without having to give out my VIN.. they were acting like its the last set of brake rotors for had in stock!! I still have not gotten the other two!

Years ago I met up with some of the people at Ford Customer Service Division with AJB from the forum (who used to be a Ford executive) and we discussed the rise in prices at the time. They flat out said that if they didn't price parts really high, people were buying them in quantities that were clearly not for personal use. Ultimately, their priority is to have parts for consumers, especially those that need them, so the institution of a VIN requirement isn't a surprise. I'm a little surprised they didn't do it sooner.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Years ago I met up with some of the people at Ford Customer Service Division with AJB from the forum (who used to be a Ford executive) and we discussed the rise in prices at the time. They flat out said that if they didn't price parts really high, people were buying them in quantities that were clearly not for personal use. Ultimately, their priority is to have parts for consumers, especially those that need them, so the institution of a VIN requirement isn't a surprise. I'm a little surprised they didn't do it sooner.
If that's is the case, wouldn't a lower price with a high core charges solve all of the problems? Fairer pricing to owners, but higher prices to hoarders.

Another approach would be to produce more parts so there is no shortage of them and therefore no reason for hoarding or buying in advance of need, "just in case". Ford's failure to keep sufficient parts stocked appears to be a reason to hoard and why prices are so high. Maybe it all depends on whether Ford really wants to support their "halo" car?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
it is clear to me now that when it comes to acquiring parts for a Ford GT that the game has moved beyond one of price and into the arena of politics as there are waiting lists now for certain parts, etc....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Another approach would be to produce more parts so there is no shortage of them and therefore no reason for hoarding or buying in advance of need, "just in case". Ford's failure to keep sufficient parts stocked appears to be a reason to hoard and why prices are so high. Maybe it all depends on whether Ford really wants to support their "halo" car?
No legal requirements to support cars 10 years after production stops, 2016!

Absolutely correct - there is no legal requirement to do so. But, considering the "halo" and prominence of the GT etc, wouldn't they want to ...?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Absolutely correct - there is no legal requirement to do so. But, considering the "halo" and prominence of the GT etc, wouldn't they want to ...?
???

Perhaps we have a little misunderstanding. I thought you wrote that there is no legal requirement to support cars 10 years after production stopped. You are correct - in the past I checked on whether the frequently heard statements that car mfg must provide parts for 5, 7, or 10 years (whatever) are true. They aren't. I could not find any laws requiring car makers to provide parts after production stopped. In fact, car manufacturers are not required by law to provide parts for any length of time post production. Ford could have stopped selling GT parts on October 1, 2006 (assuming GT production stopped on Sept 30) and that would have been legal. Stupid, but legal. If someone here has real evidence (the legal citation would be best) that I am wrong, I would be very pleased!

I hope that clarifies my statement.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I believe Ford may a statement that they would supply parts for at least 10 years. I don't know if it is law though.