Availability ofRicardo transaxles

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
15 years per the Rick Titus presentation on the DVD that came with the car. Can be viewed at the URL below. Producing parts endlessly isn't going to happen. Alot of the tooling is probably junk by now, and some of it doesn't exist at all. They've already retooled a couple parts from suppliers that went bust (headlights for example), and that comes at a pretty high cost. On the whole, I think the parts availability is good, and it's certainly a lot cheaper than the parts for comparable cars. Just my view, but I would think of 50 transaxles as a near endless supply based on how many actually appear to require replacement.

http://youtu.be/-M1FkJ9j7DM

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I'd be more concerned about the stock being purchased for use in other cars - specials, etc.

On the other hand, I've owned a number of cars and never had anything go wrong with the transmission or rear end that couldn't be fixed without resorting to replacement (only my 1930 Chevrolet is the exception, the 1st replacement trans was $25 and the 2nd was $10). Thus, I think the current stock, plus those available from parted-out totaled cars will last a very long time, well beyond my life span.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the video. Very interesting - the 15 year figure is I'm sure, a Ford figure, not a legally required one. It's reassuring, and I don't think I need to buy a spare transaxle. Thanks to all who responded to my message, it's been very helpful.

Cheers!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I'd be more concerned about the stock being purchased for use in other cars - specials, etc.

yep! some GTMs and other replica models have been known to use them.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I just watched The Titus piece again.The last time I watched it was 6 years ago.I got all excited about my car like it was brand new to me.I guess thats the fascinating thing about our Gt's .They never get old.Or at least not to me!Oh shit I gotta go for a ride!
15 years per the Rick Titus presentation on the DVD that came with the car. Can be viewed at the URL below. Producing parts endlessly isn't going to happen. Alot of the tooling is probably junk by now, and some of it doesn't exist at all. They've already retooled a couple parts from suppliers that went bust (headlights for example), and that comes at a pretty high cost. On the whole, I think the parts availability is good, and it's certainly a lot cheaper than the parts for comparable cars. Just my view, but I would think of 50 transaxles as a near endless supply based on how many actually appear to require replacement.

http://youtu.be/-M1FkJ9j7DM

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just watched The Titus piece again.The last time I watched it was 6 years ago.I got all excited about my car like it was brand new to me.I guess thats the fascinating thing about our Gt's .They never get old.Or at least not to me!Oh shit I gotta go for a ride!

Every gear above first gear is overdrive. If you ever accelerate from 5th to 6th call me - it'll be the first and last call you get from jail :) [as I recall them, not quotes. Still true.]

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
You would think that Ford and others would have more respect for people who drive their GT in public or race it or show it off to the public versus those who buy it and stick in the corner of their garage hidden under a car cover for no one to ever see until 40 years from now when they take it Barrett-Jackson hoping to sell if for a Billion $$$$$$$$$$

People like me and Roketman and RALPHIE, etc. are some of the best Ambassadors and Advertisements for Ford and the Ford Community that they could ever hope to have....

i would also like to see some more appreciation for people like Kendall and Torrie who keep the cars runnin for those of us who drive them :thumbsup

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
All this discussion about (non)availability of transaxles and parts has me a bit concerned. I plan to keep my car for quite awhile, so I'm wondering if buying a spare, even at the awful present cost, is a good idea. If they 1)don't build more for the next few years, and 2)prices keep rising, it seems like its worth doing.

Opinions?

Thanks for the link to the video. Very interesting - the 15 year figure is I'm sure, a Ford figure, not a legally required one. It's reassuring, and I don't think I need to buy a spare transaxle. Thanks to all who responded to my message, it's been very helpful.

Cheers!

I don't care how many they have in stock. I know where my future replacement will come from - my garage, second shelf on the right.
Same goes for most any other serious part that makes this thing go.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Every gear above first gear is overdrive. If you ever accelerate from 5th to 6th call me - it'll be the first and last call you get from jail :) [as I recall them, not quotes. Still true.]

??? I accelerated from 5th to 6th, shifting at 195 MPH and 7K RPM, didn't go to jail, never made a call. :lol

Of course that was during the Mojave mile with 3.9 gears. :biggrin

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
You went from 5th to 6th at 195mph? We are still in 5th doing 267mph...... Time for more power....

Mark H.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks for the link never saw it before and real nice piece.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Click on the YouTube channel where it says Fordgtforum and the other 2 parts are on there as well.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You went from 5th to 6th at 195mph? We are still in 5th doing 267mph...... Time for more power....

Mark H.
Your redline is higher and more importantly, you have much bigger balls than I do.

A man's gotta know him limitations!

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I believe Ford may a statement that they would supply parts for at least 10 years. I don't know if it is law though.
It is the law in Europe.