Another GT gone and a path to recovery

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thank goodness you came out of that in good shape. And thank goodness Shelby is around to replace them with another high quality car. I've spun mine a few times on the track, fortunately everytime I did it I didn't hit anything. When they do spin though it has always been a real smooth ride.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Been there, done that… glad you will be back in the saddle soon. I lost one in much the same manner you did. I have lost control one other time (on a tract with no real damage) but oversteer was less of an issue… it was more ego-steering.

It’s all part of life and the whole thing is silly; from beginning to end. If you don’t learn to laugh at it, it will drive you crazy.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I saw your car on the news early that morning. We were trying to figure out who it was and if they were ok. You should come out to the Coffee and Cars and hang out. I'm usuallly parked to the left of the main entrance at the front.

Oh and as you know the stock GY tires suck especially in the cold.

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I was fortunate enough to own an 03 Terminator (SVT Cobra) before acquiring my GT. I drove it for over 3 years before trading. It has a much lighter rear end and 4.6L supercharged power. I learned quickly that if you watch the boost guage and stay out of boost when it is under 50 degrees you will be better off. So far so good. My ride will be 6 yrs old March 1.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Glad to hear you are OK and you are "about to be" back in the saddle. Also, thanks for having the courage to share. No doubte that you have benefited from the experience - and now all of us can be reminded of what lurks right around the corner. Thanks again, and glad you are OK.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Twice, both times on the track, and neither involved acceleration induced over steer. One was braking too late into a corner and the other was lift throttle over steer (at 140 MPH) resulting in a complete 360 while sliding 600 feet across a wet grass field. :eek It was sheer luck that I didn't hit anything. It can and does happen to anybody who drives there cars. Like the Gurney however, once you take that hit it is less likely to happen again. I'm glad you got another car and that you're still in the fold. You will love it.

Chip
The braking to late one I witnessed! It still makes me laugh! I said to my passenger ,no way he going to make turn 1! And sure as hell he didn't ! I only wish I could have seen the look on Chips face! The only reason it was funny was because nothing happened to the car or my buddy Chip!
Come to the next rally and we will give you some great instruction on driving a Ford GT! We have some really great instructors !
Any way glad you are ok!
Don't feel to bad I almost spun Camillo's car at VIR in the rain!Again only funny because nothing happened!
Glad you had no insurance issues.
You are in good hands with Shelby!!!
Best regards,Ron

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
JC,

I'm glad you're ok. As many have said, cars can be replaced. There but for the grace of God go many of us.

Best Regards,
Waldo

...but Shelby is the MAN...
Speaking of Shelby... A nice auto transporter from Phoenix was picking up my GT last night for it's journey back to Arizona. He mentioned that he had transported several GTs before. I asked him if any of the owners were from Phoenix. He stated no, but that he had moved several for a nice young man from Arkansas.

It's a small GT world.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Went through an accident last April, except I had a short hospital stay. To echo the rest the important thing is that you are okay. The rest is just background noise. Remember even great driver have accidents, hence the name accident. Glad that you are getting right back in the mix. :cheers

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Into each life a little rain must fall...just glad the car absorbed the energy and not you. I admire you for confronting it with humility and candor. That alone is a pretty good indicator that you are quickly turning this whole thing into just another great story to share with your friends, (us included). You are now one step closer to becoming the most interesting man in the world. :)

It's helpful for all of us to have a reminder that these lovely, ferocious works of art have big gnarly teeth. They bite HARD. I'm pretty confident that this won't happen to you twice, and for that you are probably wiser than those of us who have yet to explore the harsh reality of physics in these cars. I've had mine since 2006 and 13,000 miles later, I still find your post incredibly instructive as super useful.

Go forth and prosper in your new GT.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Glad you got out relatively safe. This car scares me and deserves respect! I think I will go out and buy a Mustang Laguna Seca for "fun drives"

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thank goodness you are ok. Have safe fun!

Ed

PS My Hoosiers have saved me many a time. No stickier tire around in the dry.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
JC glad you walked and welcome to the been there done that fraternity. Long story short in my office is a rear Aarm cracked and bent at a 45. At a sport bike rally I discovered something called a polar moment. Rest of story over a beer.
When you are running again, round up the Houston guys and head to La Jitas/Terlingua. Makes for a great trip to where you can have some fun at a place like no other. Midland has a few GTs that would be willing to tag up with you.
dm

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thanks everyone for the outpouring of support. Means a lot. Wife and I read these posts together last night and she was most impressed with the community. I do realize just how lucky I am. In many ways. On the other hand, patience was never my forte. I can't wait for my GT to get here!

I look forward to meeting many of you at C&C in Houston and hope to come to the next Rally. I would welcome some instruction on better control of this exciting gal. I have much to learn.

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
JC,

Glad to hear you're okay. As many have posted in their replies the car can be replaced and thanks to Shelby who seems to always come through when it counts has already taken care of that.. If there is one thing I've gotten from fellow members of the GT Forum is to respect the car at ALL times. Every time my right foot has this certain itch I subconsciously think about the GT owners who have shared an ill-fated story on the forum. In some way those stories have kept me out of trouble thus far. On more than one occasion I too have gotten mine sideways but fortunately without any notorious mishaps. My son who is now 19 and a sophomore in college started driving a PW50 at age 4, racing go karts at 9, shifter karts at 12, and 7.5 second dragster at 16. He drives our GT much better than I do and when I compare the experience we both have driving various cars it is very clear why that is the case. He joined the 200 MPH club at the Texas Mile in a Ford GT at age 17; I didn’t even make an attempt. In short what I am saying is we have to know our capabilities and our cars before becoming too brave. I can attest that these awesome machines can “snap” in an instant so it’s important that you anticipate it and are ready for it especially under those self-induced circumstances. My thoughts are with you for the loss but it sounds like everything turned out okay and you’ll be back on the road sooner than later.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
PS My Hoosiers have saved me many a time. No stickier tire around in the dry.

Mickey Thompson ET Street II's are stickier. Got them on the rear of mine.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thank God you're not injured as, unfortunately, a GT out of control is a monster to handle. Please save your power excursions for episodes on race tracks, where instruction is available, the tracks usually have run-off areas in places frequented by spinning cars, and all the cars are going in the same direction. At our rallies, Roketman is an instructor of the highest caliber (an SCCA Class Champion, I believe), and puts together a team of instructors to teach novice and intermediate drivers, in addition to helping those who have experience over the years.

I've spun my car a few times, on the track, and feel that it actually helps to feel the action of the car as it loses control - thereby allowing one to recognize the limits of adhesion. I was doing some tire pressure testing with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups at Miller (Rally VI) and was purposely testing the adhesion (and temperatures), and spun it a couple of times (in locations of my choosing). Other times I've spun it chasing (or trying to stay ahead of) Anders. My point is - stay within the cars limits on the street, and leave the power excursions for the track.

Sorry to hear that the car was damaged, as it's like loosing a person whom you've idolized and been befriended by. But, thankfully you are not damaged and will be able to replace it. Please be very careful with the next one, and learn the car's characteristics where damage cannot occur. There are driving schools available, and Roketman has his instructors at each Rally. I look forward to meeting you at one of them.

Ralphie

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
JC,
I'm so glad you're okay and can definitely relate to your experience as I went through pretty much the same right before Christmas (see my post here). It took me longer but I too was able to settle with my insurance company to my satisfaction and yes as long as we come out unharmed and learn from the experience, we will be able to enjoy our next GT better and safer. Hope all others that are reading this thread keep in mind that our cars are way too powerful, even totally stock for cold and wet mornings, no matter how experienced we think we are.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Glad your OK.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Likely a reminder to many of us who probably get complacent with our respective cars/power levels from time to time.

Enjoy your new GT.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Glad you are ok. Yes sir, there is a guy in Lufkin Texas who has an entire business selling wrecked GT's, has a slightly scraped Heritage for sale now. I too lost it on a cold overcast morning but jumping 1st with the wheels turned hard left. I was backwards in .2 secs. You will get a feel for "The Animal" as my brother calls it. Warm tires=good:)

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
James,

Reading your post brings back very bad memories.:facepalm: I had nearly the identical wreck on Jan 20th @ 18 degrees and cut a telephone pole in half on my first drive .:frown And to make matters worse, I had my son in the car.:thumbsdow And yes Thank God, and thank FORD for building a frikin Sherman Tank.:usa We both walked away.

Get a copy of the FORD GT Owner's Expierience book from SVTOA and read my story. Not necessary to post the horrific expierience here.

Just glad to hear you are fine and purchased another GT (as I did).
Fell free to P.M. me as you will be suprised how similar our stroies are......

GTJIMMY