Another GT gone and a path to recovery

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
On Sat Jan 7 I took delivery of a Blue/White 2006 #0375 from Shelby. Was among the best days of my life.

On Wed Jan 18th I decided to drive the GT to work so I could have the Lincoln dealer near my office program a new key to the car during my lunch hour. A cold morning (about 40deg) OEM Goodyear tires, a new an inexperienced GT driver and 700HP mixed up a nearly fatal cocktail. I turned right onto FM 1960, was already in 2nd gear and began rolling into the throttle. Not that hard, or so I thought at the time. The rear end continued to come around and resulted in oversteer. Car sheared off a telephone pole. a small tree and hit parked van. Houston Fire and Rescue had to cut me out of the car with the jaws of life but amazingly I was fine but for some brusing and a pretty good gash on my ankle. Car was destroyed, saved my life in the process, I walked away. Was among the worst days of my life.

I spoke with Shelby later that same day. Words of advice and experience in these situations were both helpful and uplifting. I knew by the end of the day that I had to get through this, settle the insurance mess and get back into the car I had saved for 10 yrs to buy.

Over the next few weeks, State Farm and I had numerous discussions, Shelby sent information and advice, lots of documents changed hands but in the end SF setteled for a fair price that will allow me to purchase another GT.

Yesterday I finally recieved the Texas title for 0375 and exchanged it for a check from State Farm setteling the claim. Decided today was a good time to tell the story.

A new GT is in the works, Shelby working to get her ready. A great deal that helped make the insurance settlement work in spite of paying taxes on two cars, and outfitting the car with a few details to make it mine. Including a new set of Bridgestones. And starting with the stock 550HP this time along with a whole lot more respect for the differences a rear engine car brings. Hope to have her home late next week. Look forward to posting pics of the delivery day.

I really don't see the need to post photos of the wreck. Its bad, the frame is obviously twisted and not a single straight body panel. The interior was undamaged for the most part as the safety cage held. Truly a great loss of a beautiful car.

I wanted to get the story out there and let folks know what a great asset to this community Shelby Smith is. I think, with his help, I am going to get through this. Light at the end of this tunnel so to speak.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
It happens. As they say a car is just a car. The important thing is you didn't get totalled with it. And I agree on Shelby--he hangs with you after the sale whether it is a problem with the car or something more serious---he does not walk away post sale like most car dealers I have dealt with.

Good luck on the next one.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'll bet many of us here on this board have brought the rear end around.

I can tell you I have and I know it scares the hell out of anyone who wants to live and protect his car.

These cars are strong in every respect but they are a handful for most except those who are highly skilled and experienced.

Sounds like you and Shelby really optimized the whole process. Congrats on working through the various issues and obtaining your next Ford GT. And thanks for sharing your story as I'm certain it will continue to remind us all here of how quickly things can get messy.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Coming out of a turn in any high performance car can have oversteer issues..even in the cars with all the nannies - Glad you were ok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RxNJPHuk14&feature=endscreen&NR=1

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Glad you were ok! Glad to hear you are working on another. Shelby is, indeed, the man.

I'd love to know a bit more detail around your interactions with State Farm during this process.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thanks for the support guys.

Speaking of support, and today being valentines and all....I need to metion the support my wonderful wife has given through all of this. Not once has she questioned the decision to purchase another GT, in fact I think she bugs Shelby more than I do about the new car and its progress. Thanks dear, I got a keeper for sure.

MNJason, what do you want to know about SF? At first they tried to establish value based on a market study but came up with a pretty wide range. In the end, the value paid was based more on the recent purchase price than market value. Since I had purchased the car from Shelby and they knew I intended to purchase the replacement from him, they would not consider information from him in determining value. Seemed pretty odd. Over all, we came to agreement on price in about 3 weeks and then had to wait on the title. They did add some for add ons. Not replacement cost but some consideration. I feel I got a fair settlement. Could have been better, but I want to move on and the next step was 3rd party arbitration. I'd rather have a GT than fight for a few k more.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
today is a good day to remember all GT wives are good wives. (but I'll be damned if I would let mine call Shelby--he's been through enough:)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sorry you had to endure the whole painful process. You're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last. As long as you weren't hurt, the car can and will be replaced. I saw the new car when I was down at Elite Autos, and it will be just as sweet as the old one.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Crashing sucks, doesn't it. Sorry for what you went through, and mainly, glad you're OK!

Eddie

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
James,
Thank you for the Kind words. Just glad I was able to help you through the process and glad that you chose to buy from me once again. I am here for the long run. To make you feel better, I was contacted by an appraiser yesterday that was working with another owner (long time owner at that) that just totalled their car. They had logged over 12k miles since new, so it goes to show you this can happen to anyone. This will all be behind you soon and you will be enjoying a Midnight Blue GT once again. Your new GT just finished being polished this morning and is on to the clear bra shop to get wrapped in paint protection. The New bridgestones are on and should help with better traction. Talk to you soon! :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:eek That really stinks. 'Only good thing is it could have been a lot worse in so many ways - but, thank God, it wasn't! :thumbsup

Put it behind you, jc.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Crashing sucks, doesn't it. Sorry for what you went through, and mainly, glad you're OK!

Eddie

FourFather should know about crashes. He was involved in at least one spectacular top fuel drag racing blow-over. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that NHRA legend Eddie Hill is a member of our forum. I loved watching Eddie race his "Nuclear Banana" dragster for many years and his lovely wife was always there as Pit Crew Member Number One. Its way too late to say welcome but let me say that I am proud to be a member of the same forum and to be a fellow GT owner with the great Eddie Hill.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
JC, glad to hear you are A-O-K.
Humilty is certainly a challenge most the time, you clearly have mastered it in this case.
These cars sure do demand a ton of respect in many, many different ways.

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
JC, very sorry to hear your story but I share the sentiments of others in being glad that you are ok. Shelby has also gone above and beyond with my car and he wasn't even the seller (but performed ppi, mods, and a concours worthy detail) and fielded all of my neurotic questions. I wouldn't hesitate to buy on his word alone. Good luck with your new car and enjoy in good health! See you around Houston.

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hi JC

I too am sorry about your loss, but am also quite glad you are OK.

I believe I had the pleasure of meeting you on the day you picked up your car from Shelby.

Shelby is a real asset here.. enjoy your new GT

Bill

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I can confirm that.

I'll bet many of us here on this board have brought the rear end around.

Twice, both times on the track, and neither involved acceleration induced over steer. One was braking too late into a corner and the other was lift throttle over steer (at 140 MPH) resulting in a complete 360 while sliding 600 feet across a wet grass field. :eek It was sheer luck that I didn't hit anything. It can and does happen to anybody who drives there cars. Like the Gurney however, once you take that hit it is less likely to happen again. I'm glad you got another car and that you're still in the fold. You will love it.

Chip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First, We are all glad you are OK and that you walked away sounds like it's a good thing that the car is as well constructed as it is. Oversteer on these is probably the most common event. I'm still going to try to get mine down to Bondurant on the skid pad just to figure how skittish it is. It happened three times in my Cobra, and I went to Bridgestone tires right away based on other experiences here. I've not taken mine out - the pavement is still too cold.

H

HHGT

Glad you are okay.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Yeah, you can put me in the club (minus damage... thankfully). I've had mine for 18 months (shelby elite auto for the win), at 620rwhp... put on my whipple, 715rwhp, and while going straight down an on ramp, in 2nd, at maybe 50, i rolled hard onto the throttle. I mean.. c'mon... isn't that what on ramps are for?? The fact that they connect to the freeway is just an incidental...

anyway. yeah, I was almost sideways in a heartbeat. hoo. almost crapped myself.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Glad to hear your OK JC from your mishap but Shelby is the MAN and will have you back on the road soon. Another Blue GT just hit Houston this week to a new owner from Mr. Smith and all is great in The Houston Area. NOTE : Always remember even in Houston Cool weather and Goodyears don't mix under 45 degrees with himidity (which we always have) so be CAREFUL this time of the year. Fortunately Shelby will always be around for all of us and the only Dealer I would deal with on another GT. Forget the past and look forward to warmer wearher and your new GT. Tomy PS I just start mine up and sit and stare at it lately.