5th Annual Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale GT Dinner.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
43 Attendees as of now.

Gentlemen,

OK, I'm finalizing the #s so if your name is on this list and you are not going to be there, PLEASE semd me a PM and let me know ASAP! This is going to be another GREAT night with the Ford GT faithful. It's still not too late to join us so post up!!

Chip

1. Chip Beck - 2 - w/GT
2. Blue Moose - 2 - w/GT
3. JBG - 2 - w/GT
4. Tim Cantwell - 6 - w/GT
5. AZSTAD - 1 - w/GT
6. GTinmyblood - 2 - w/GT
7. GT Tech - 2
8. Fast Eddie - 2 - w/GT
9. Stephen_Becker - 2
10. Triheart - 2
11. dbackg - 2
12. BM SoCal - 2
13. Rsman - 3
14. Bib Hibbs - 2
15. Colton74 - 2
16. Bruce Daley - 2 - w/GT
17. Team Jeff - 1

Last edited:

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Put me down for two.

Team jeff...my wife agreed, but only after I promised jen was coming! Don't make me a dead man walking!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Here's how it works.

Gentlemen,

After 5 years of these events, most of you know the drill by now. But for the first timers, The tab for dinner and cocktails will have a 20% tip added and the total will be divided by the # of attendees. EVERYONE WILL PAY IN CASH!!! Show up with a pocket full of $20 dollar bills. At Rally V some members were upset because they expected to eat and drink for $30!! Good grief. Food alone was $50 per person (thats $60 with the tip) and drinks were on top of that. Expect to spend $75 to $90 total per person. Up to a MAXIMUM of 3 individual cocktails per person can be put on the tab, and no bottles of wine or drinks over $10 can be ordered unless you go into the bar and pay for them seperatly. Cocktails will start at 7:00pm and dinner will be at 7:30. I encourage all local members to bring their GTs which will have special parking in front. It's going to be a great night!! I'll see you on Thursday.

Location is:

El Chorro Lodge
5550 E Lincoln Dr.
Paradise Valley, AZ 85253
(480) 948-5170

7 pm Thursday, Jan. 20

Chip

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Wish I could attend!! Have a great time guys!

:cheers

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Hey guys, I wish I was going to be there tomorrow night but I will be driving the GT out from San Diego on Friday morning. I am selling my 1968 Yellow GT500KR at Russo and Steele Saturday night about 6pm. I hope to see some of you guys there. Any tips on parking the GT at the auctions?? I have not been out there before. Do they have a preferred or secure lot?? Let me know.

Here's my car that's going across the block:

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN4248.jpg
    DSCN4248.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 169

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
In order to avoid alienating some forum members, I propose we all pay for what we actually order on an individual basis. I'm not going to drink (I'll be driving) and my wife does not drink at all. I suppose it will require some extra effort by the staff so lets up the gratuity to 25%.

This is a social event & it would really be a shame if some people decided not to attend due to the payment structure.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Chip - I'm down to "1" for sure. My wife is staying home with the girls since we are spending so much time at the auctions this week without them.

But in the same tone of Team Jeff...I'm kinda bummed out that we're losing GT folks, and new folks, because of the divide among 40 and split rule.

Me...I like to eat good and drink great wine (you can tell by my girlish figure). So I'll make darn sure I'm ordering $90 worth - with a bone in steak, a great side, prefaced by a wedge salad and a couple cocktails. And maybe I'll be the one to help drive it to $100 a head instead of $90? But it sucks that folks who can get filled up with a dinner salad and don't drink to be forced to pay $90 (or $100 if several of me show up).

Ralphie suggested another 'split and keep simple' method that maybe we could consider?

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
In order to avoid alienating some forum members, I propose we all pay for what we actually order on an individual basis. I'm not going to drink (I'll be driving) and my wife does not drink at all. I suppose it will require some extra effort by the staff so lets up the gratuity to 25%.

This is a social event & it would really be a shame if some people decided not to attend due to the payment structure.

Jeff, very good point. I also don't wish to offend anyone, but I have heard from many forum members that they have opted out of some of our dinners because of what they consider to be unreasonably high dinner bills. One member in fact paid over a hundred dollars for a salad and did not drink and vowed to never again participate. I hate to miss out on meeting up with old friends because the bills are too high. Perhaps there is a better way to split up the costs more equitability or democratically (pay for what YOU eat or drink, not what your neighbor eats and drinks). My thoughts, for what it's worth.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Chip, I hear you and feel your pain. While I'm not out there, if I was, I'd be thrilled to attend this dinner. I usually am the guy that has the salad, doesn't drink (well maybe I'd have one, but more likely it'd be a soda) and as I tell everyone, I'm attending for the company, not the food. I'll be attending my annual NSX dinner on 2/5 and just like your event, it's price fixed in advance, menu set, etc. the only difference is other than soft drinks, you're responsible for your own bar tab (cash per drink, no tab). This does eliminate a lot of the problem between drinkers and non drinkers and alcohol is expensive (we're all top shelf kind of people, aren't we?) Usually the organizer at all of these types events is stuck with the bill for the guy that slips out the door without paying, and that's just wrong on so many levels. You've been absolutely clear with all of the details, anyone that objects, should just not RSVP, if they do, shut up and man up. Sorry for the rant, but it just burns my hide that when you're the one doing all the work, you get penalized and have to pay for the freeloaders as well. Enjooy the auctions, enjoy your friends and family.
Best Regards,
RPM

Last edited:

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Chip, I for one appreciate your hard work to organize this. I for one, just want to be sure everyone is included who wish to be, and are happy with the end-results.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Incredible.

Jeff, very good point. I also don't wish to offend anyone, but I have heard from many forum members that they have opted out of some of our dinners because of what they consider to be unreasonably high dinner bills. One member in fact paid over a hundred dollars for a salad and did not drink and vowed to never again participate. I hate to miss out on meeting up with old friends because the bills are too high. Perhaps there is a better way to split up the costs more equitably or democratically (pay for what YOU eat or drink, not what your neighbor eats and drinks). My thoughts, for what it's worth.

Gentlemen,

Perhaps it's the economy, but I think it's more than that. There was a time when GT Forum members would go to great trouble, time, and expense to assist or socialize with other members. The El Chorro Lodge has a MINIMUM of $100 per person in food and drink plus a mandatory 20% tip to hold any function there. They were kind enough to waive that for our group. A typical dinner there is $50, that's $60 when the tip is added in. Cocktails average $10 so if the average is 1.5 per person that's $15 more plus the 20%. That's $80 gentlemen. Maybe we need to go to Denny's for a more attractive tab. For 5 years I have organized this function along with the Rallies to the Rally, and dinners at GT events around the country including the opening night dinners at Rallies 4 & 5. The highest tab including tip at ANY function I've held was $90, the 2nd highest was $75, all others were less. The least expensive functions were the 3 GT Forum catered/open bar events I hosted at my home. All you could eat and all the cocktails members cared to drink for $0.00. Nobody complained about that price. The manner of payment has been clearly spelled out before every event. So if someone showed up and had a salad with no dinner and drank water and then paid way more than the divided tab, why would he do that? Doesn't make sense. I paid the exact same amount as everybody else per person at every dinner even though I normally had 2 non drinking kids with me. I've also covered over $500 in shortages out of my pocket in addition to over $4000 for functions I've hosted and paid for. After the Rally V dinner I got blistered by a long time member telling me that everybody got screwed and was pissed at me. I spent a considerable amount of time organizing that event, put up my credit card to guarantee a very large sum, clearly detailed in advance how the bill would be paid, I paid the same amount as everybody else, I also paid for two people who left without paying, I have never made a dime for doing any of this, yet somehow I screwed everybody and I'm the as*hole.

Getting a nice restaurant to provide a private room and a wait staff capable of serving 40 to 100 people at one time is not easy. The objective was to allow members to move around the room and socialize before dinner with cocktail waitresses eliminating the need to wait in line at the bar. The El Chorro Lodge (and most other fine restaurants) will not provide 20-30 separate checks to a party of 40 people and you can't have dinner there for $30.00. I've organized get togethers that I thought members enjoyed in the past and tried to make it as simple and hassle free as possible. I have required no form of deposit from members even for those functions where I had to personally guarantee 4 figure sums to reserve facilities. I have allowed members to cancel at the last minute or just not show up even though space was reserved for them. And I have burned untold hours keeping track of who's coming, canceling, changing #s, answering calls & questions, directing traffic, and collecting, counting, and paying the tabs. My sole reward was seeing members connect and have a good time.

If indeed we are now at the point where members who own $175,000 cars will avoid a GT Forum gathering rather than risk potentially paying $10 or $15 more because another member had 3 drinks and they only had 1......and we need to give every member a separate check.......and we need to go to restaurants with no minimums that will seat, serve, and wait on someone who just wants a salad and water and who wants to pay only for that....I'm afraid that's beyond me and I don't wish to have anything to do with such a gathering. Can you even imagine, at functions with up to 100 people, trying to figure out and collect a different amount from each person? Add to the fun the knowledge that I have to guarantee payment of the entire bill and cover all shortages. Forgive me for losing a bit of my enthusiasm after being called out as a dick and a ripoff on more than one occasion now by members who thought the $50 dinner plus drinks plus tip they ordered SHOULD have cost $30 at an event that just "magically, spontaneously happened". Any member who attends and then wants to bitch afterward should step up to the plate and handle these functions himself (you won't hurt my feelings for taking over), negotiate lower prices at better establishments and make everybody happy.

I have already finalized everything with El Chorro. For those who have not been there since it's reopening last year, it's really cool. Expensive, but cool. Again, separate checks for a large party are not an option so if you require one, or don't want to have dinner, or the thought that someone might get a slightly better deal than you is mortifying, just send me a PM and bow out. Maybe Tim can organize a lower budget dinner at a cheaper restaurant with separate checks next year.

Ahhhh, I feel better now. For those that want to join us, I'll see you tomorrow (Thursday) night. Cheers. :cheers

Chip

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Welcome to the club Chip! :lol

Have fun tonight kids. Wish we could be there. :thumbsup

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
CHIP - First and foremost, I don't think anyone questions the amount of hard work and continuous hours you put into this forum/group and the events surrounding it. Not to mention your hard-earned cash for the multiple, fab Rally-to-Rally parties you've had at your home. And if you're stuck with 'overflow' on dinner tabs - that's B.S. I wouldn't stand for that and you shouldn't either (well maybe I've done that a time or two myself - but it still rubs you raw a bit).

Those of us who have been (and probably many who have not) to those parties, the Rally's and other organized events are very grateful for DBK, you, the "late BONY" and many others.

Having said that, I'm merely suggesting (for future events) such as Ralphie and RPM217 mentioned - where it's a cash bar setup and the food is split. Maybe that's the real issue and not the fact that I'm picking on the salad eaters?

Lastly...the "Red Velvet Lounge" at "Casa de Stad" is always open, free drinks and entertainment, to any GT owner willing to make the drive. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
It's not easy herding cats!

Chip - I certainly appreciate your effort putting these events together & cant imagine 99% of folks don't feel the same way. But as they say - no good deed goes unpunished. I was reluctantly prepared to pay the required admission, but after hearing that Gerry (and others) are not attending due to the fact that they don't want to pay an additional 40% I was definitely bummed. To me it's about seeing the "guys", otherwise I'd save the cash for something more important.... like car parts ;) My guess is that showing up for the social aspect of the event would be frowned upon... right? Maybe pop over & have a few drinks but skip dinner? Might be a good solution for those cheap bastards who would rather grab a $6.99 rooty tooty fresh and fruity at ihop, but still want to see the crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Welcome to the club Chip! :lol

Have fun tonight kids. Wish we could be there. :thumbsup

We'll miss you.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
On my way to the airport, soon. Looking forward to tonight!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
My guess is that showing up for the social aspect of the event would be frowned upon... right? Maybe pop over & have a few drinks but skip dinner? Might be a good solution for those cheap bastards who would rather grab a $6.99 rooty tooty fresh and fruity at ihop, but still want to see the crew.

Jeff,

Right. The owners of El Chorro have waived their $100 per person minimum and have still given us a private room. Now all I need to do to end my relationship with them forever is have a bunch of guys who paid $6.99 to eat at IHOP show up and take up space, hang out, and not buy dinner. I'm sure they would welcome us back after that. Don't even think about showing up unless you're having dinner. Thanks.

Chip

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Jeff,

Right. The owners of El Chorro have waived their $100 per person minimum and have still given us a private room. Now all I need to do to end my relationship with them forever is have a bunch of guys who paid $6.99 to eat at IHOP show up and take up space, hang out, and not buy dinner. I'm sure they would welcome us back after that. Don't even think about showing up unless you're having dinner. Thanks.

Chip

Im not even attending this event so maybe I should shut up, but then again I never knew how to! I dont see what the big deal is here, most guys here spend crazy money on everything but all of the sudden you guys have a problem spending a few extra dollars on a dinner that happen once in a while in which you get to see you gt friends and get to meet everyone!( a special occasion) I would never put on an event like this and if I did rest a sured I would charge for it, cause it seems a lot of work and well Im just plain lazy, so I would consider my self lucky that there are people here that are willing to do the work so that we can all have fun, and even if the organizer does make money it still would be ok by me, 100 per person for a 5 star restaurant is very reasonable. if you dont eat in these events think of it as buying dinner for one of your gt brothers, is that such a bad thing? Or if youre too cheap or otherwise so worried that you are paying for someone elses meal, may I suggest not eating anything the day of the event so that you arrive hungry! oh and dont drink anything before either!

I dont like stingy people, especially ones that have money! there Ive said it!

chip, whats a skinflint?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
I've also covered over $500 in shortages out of my pocket
Chip

Chip,

I will confirm that you have done exactly that. You may not remember this, but I remember it clearly because one such occasion occurred at the first Ford GT Forum function I'd ever attended - the pre-rally dinner at Don & Charlie's in 2008. After dinner when everyone was drifting out of the dining area, I noticed something seemed to be amiss. I got the impression that there was a shortage of funds collected. Although you and I had never met, I approached you and confirmed that there was a significant shortage - my recollection was that it was several hundred dollars but I don't remember the exact amount. When it became apparent that you were going to eat that shortage personally, I offered to split it with you. You politely but firmly refused my offer.

Others around us picked up on what was happening, and they also offered to contribute. As a group, those remaining believed it was not fair for you to absorb this alone, and several people had cash in hand to make up the difference. Again, you politely but firmly refused our money. As a result of this, at later dinners I have normally given more to the "table captain" than what I owed, to at least mitigate any potential shortage you might incur but subsequently keep quiet about. Sometimes it caused a bit of confusion at our table because there was too much in the pot, but we got the money passed on eventually.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, and I would not have even brought this up except to point out that other forum members have also quietly offered to cover shortages and have also quietly and anonymously put more in the pot to help cover any potential shortages.

I too have paid full fare for a daughter who didn't drink, as have several others who have brought children, so I know what you're saying there.

Regretfully I will not be there this evening, but I hope that everyone has a great time! :cheers

Dick

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Nothing to do with the dinner (wish I was there) but I could use some help, I am inquiring if any of you that are in Scottsdale would have a couple of hours to check out a car I am looking to buy. Please PM me (or call my cell 765-592-0830) if you would have the time and willing to do an inspection. This will save me a plane trip. I also posted this in the Oweners section.