Source for Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If I'm spending what I did for the car .I'm not going to try to save a few bucks on oil!
I'M already going in for my second oil change this coming week!

Reactions: JWZ and THamonGT

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Amen Brother! This is what I’m using and nothing else!image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: italianjoe and JWZ

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Amen Brother! This is what I’m using and nothing else!View attachment 56443View attachment 56443

Yep!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Are these the correct oil filters? They are only $5.97 each.

Ed

PS I hope they are as I splurged & bought two. I have a $600K car that uses a $6 filter! I love it!

IMG_1375.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Xcentric

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
That's awesome!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There is a specific part number for the GT filter and it lists for $7x (yes nuts). As I have stated already in this thread, I am using the specified parts, at least for the warranty period.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
FL500S is right.

Ed

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This makes no sense. The 05/06 is a cartridge. The 17+ is a spin on.

FL-2024 is a cartridge that fits 05/06 only. Instead of $20 for this, get two Mann filters for $13.48.

You were right the first time. FL-500S is one filter recommended by Ford for 17/19.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I don't think it is but it's close. What does Indy GT think?

Ed

Thanks for asking Ed. I have it on good authority the Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic oil will work just fine in our 3.5L engine. This question was asked internally early into the program and the response was this oil will work just fine. And I do not believe there is warranty liability exposure issue either.

I was shown the official FGT filter just yesterday at the dealership. They keep them in stock as there are a number of GTs in my area which get serviced at my dealer. I am still thinking about the regular Motorcraft substitution although we did compare the FGT filter to the "regular" Motorcraft filter for the typical 3.5L engine and there is at least a weight difference between the two filters. Will keep thinking about this one.....

Reactions: Ed Sims

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...there is at least a weight difference between the two filters.

I expect the NGT filter is lighter, because it must be made of titanium to cost what it does, like the Castrol oil.

Reactions: Pro_GT_driver

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I went to my non servicing dealer today as I plan to change the oil myself instead of driving 100 miles to the only servicing dealer in Ga. After a few atempts to convince them I was not looking for Mustang oil they finally found the part # in the owners manual. They entered the part # in the computer and it comes up as Motorcraft 5-50.

Recommended motor oil: WSS-M2C931-C
Castrol Edge® Supercar SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor

Reactions: Ed Sims

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Absurd practices by Ford. Shame on them.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Well, Castrol sponsors the race cars. Getting their money back quart by quart.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Well, Castrol sponsors the race cars. Getting their money back quart by quart.
I guess all the advertisement value of being associated with one of the hottest supercars is not enough.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Cost of filter, cost of oil, all of concern. Not enuf attention being paid to ensuring that during the oil change that one gets all of the dirty oil out of the car. One possibly:

Attachments

• 07BE8FF5-0D18-4B7C-BC57-151061E241FC.jpeg
    07BE8FF5-0D18-4B7C-BC57-151061E241FC.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Copenhagen GT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, sometimes you are really funny.

Reactions: Copenhagen GT

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Greetings New Ford GT forum members/owners, I am Joe the Ford GT technician at Pat Milliken Ford, I enjoy reading your discussion on this forum and encourage those of you who are the hands on type who love working on your cars. However I have to advise you all that the motorcraft chart that's in this thread is an Error. Their are reports of installing FL-500s oil filters in The new Ford GT and have failed. These FL500s filters can not handle the higher pressures of the dry sump system in the new ford GT. SO PLEASE DO NOT USE THE FL500s FILTERS. I know the cost of the recommended filter is much more but better spending a few extra dollars on a filter then a motor. I have notified Ford to make a correction and they will be working on that, As always we at Pat Milliken Ford are here to help so please feel free to call us with any questions you may have,

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
For the record the correct filter number is?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
For the record the correct filter number is?

my apologies I'am at home and don't have it at this moment but I will supply you all the correct part number.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Great dealership, wish they were close!