Lots of FGTs being offered at auction according to Hagerty

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I saw the '17 Ford GT in person for first time at Petersen Museum Sat.

Its interesting.

It lacks the visceral, stunning, drop dead gorgeous, charisma of '05-'06 FORD GT.

More techno, sterile, skeletal, almost fragile image; with wide ovoid, tapezoidal, somewhat overly flush surface.

My prediction, and I am sure I will be skewered/flamed is the '05-'06 and '17 will be worth the same in long run.

Looks matter alot and the best comparison example I feel is Ferrari 288 GTO v. Enzo.

We shall see....

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Not sure about that. Production numbers are not to be forgotten.

I also remember cars that needed time to rise in value. See the Porsche CGT or even the Dino 246 ...

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I certainly do agree with you on the style- it is more polarizing, and not as timeless as the '05-'06 FGT. As far as value, you could be right, but I agree with Mathias- the ultra-low production number will weigh in strongly.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The supply of would-be low production exotic vehicle buyers is probably dropping faster than commodities...

Ageing poorly effects values as well; "dated design" with this center-pod, out-board wheels, ponton and over-wought designs cant last.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
In the end it's like an investment into stock, even if you think you've done your homework and pretend to know everything anything unplanned might happen. Good thing is at least you can enjoy ownership and drive it like it was meant to be ;)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I saw the '17 Ford GT in person for first time at Petersen Museum Sat.

Its interesting.

It lacks the visceral, stunning, drop dead gorgeous, charisma of '05-'06 FORD GT.

More techno, sterile, skeletal, almost fragile image; with wide ovoid, tapezoidal, somewhat overly flush surface.

My prediction, and I am sure I will be skewered/flamed is the '05-'06 and '17 will be worth the same in long run.

Looks matter alot and the best comparison example I feel is Ferrari 288 GTO v. Enzo.

We shall see....

The supply of would-be low production exotic vehicle buyers is probably dropping faster than commodities...

Ageing poorly effects values as well; "dated design" with this center-pod, out-board wheels, ponton and over-wought designs cant last.

Can't skewer for an opinion, but saying the above represents a serious 180 from your assessment circa January would be a major understatement.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL

Sounds like you've made a decision, and that's good for me. I'll gladly take your allocation for the PHX.

Raj, Please make note of the above. Thanks.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Can't skewer for an opinion, but saying the above represents a serious 180 from your assessment circa January would be a major understatement.

Well its design is already dated after a year....

This front angle just didnt work for me...all i see is one huge round disk

Rear looked too busy as well with skinny center fuselage

I think when one see it without car show pedestal, bright lights, internet shot angles, liquid blue v. in dim light, on regular floor, awkward thin stripes and in everyday perspective which will be what it looks like in your garage...then one will certainly say I paid $375,000 for this and sales tax of $35,000+ !!!!

Seeing in person is believing.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 193

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
The new car represents the future of an icon. Developed utilizing the latest technology, materials and processes - Ford is going to raise the bar big time. The fact that Ford is going back to race at Lemans almost is sure to solidify the future history of the new road car. This car is certain to grow on us. I love our 05/06's but this machine is going to be a track monster. My opinion of course.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
They haven’t even built yet and its in the museum! Its already part of the GT legacy!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

*aging. *affects. *outboard. *pontoon. *overwrought. *can't. Your design credentials are noted...

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/1601-2016-design-of-the-year-ford-gt/

"The latest installment of Automobile’s Design of the Year was almost too easy for us to pick."

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I am in awe of it. I think it is equally stunning as our Gts in its modern form. I think the design, engineering, performance and ultimately race pedigree is going to continue and ultimately increase the GT legend. It's a masterpiece. Ford had to move the GT forward in my opinion and boy did it ever!

Vince H

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Aging, dated design, pontoons, bad wheels, a center-pod.....jeez Kayvan, are you talking about the new GT or one of your pin-up girls?:confused:lol

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
For almost a half million it has to be love at first sight...

When you look at a Miura, F275 GTB, Gullwing, etc... you dont have to think about it or looks at stats

Doesnt do it for me; happy for those that it does. ;-)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Aging, dated design, pontoons, bad wheels, a center-pod.....jeez Kayvan, are you talking about the new GT or one of your pin-up girls?:confused:lol

:lol

Kayvan looks for an updated paint job and aftermarket headlights.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White

Sounds a bit like rationalization....."I didn't want one anyway" since it's made of unobtainium.

When I first saw it, it brought to mind a decal I had seen...interwoven letters NOTW Not Of This World. Gorgeous. The connection to the GT40/GT in its heritage is clear at a glance, but sort of like the DeLorean dropped into the 1950s.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For almost a half million it has to be love at first sight...

Just sayin...

Unreal !!!

Selling everything

The '16 GT must be owned !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's freaking gorgeous

Ferrari can't come out with another insect inspired model with 3 tailpipes, with a straight face after this ...

EPIC PICS

selling, liquidating, dumping everything not nailed down or with a pulse

People will dump other non-GT cars to fund this purchase

Once they are on road it's going to be hard to look at other rides in stable....

Gorgeous is just hard to resist

Think Ford went with classic curves v. trapezoid, ovoids, and elipisoids that plague many others :0

Competition looks soap-bar, hump-backed, cat-fish/snout and squat.

Oblong, center-mass, & bulbous is OUT

Air-Frame, Fuselage, Flying Butress, race Ponton wheel-pod is IN.

Design Review: '16 Ford GT Classic:

-Teardrop silouette
-Coke-bottle haunches
-Kamm style / duck-tail
-Sharp Creased-curves
-Squared horizontal outlines

Interior:

-Miura Seats / Headrests
-Giugiarro inspiration
-Braun / Dieter Rams inspired finishes
-Seating spacing - classic GT40

Makes ALL below look dated:

F458
Aventador
McLaren (very)

This is definition of GORGEOUS

:biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm with the old Kayvan on the new GT.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Simple ,If you don’t like it don’t buy it........

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Give me a chance to own one and I will do what I can to afford it....