GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Lots of scared owners worried that prices will plummet when the NFGT comes out next year.

Lots of scared owners worried that prices will plummet when the NFGT comes out next year.

I'm not connected to the car market in any way (other than as an interested watcher) but I doubt that the NFGT will have any negative effect and might have a positive one. With so few produced and a price of $400K, the large majority of those who would like one will be unable to get one. They will, however, be able to get an 05/06 GT, which in any case is an entirely different car in looks, construction, ergonomics, and purpose.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Highly doubt that. Just people taking advantage of a heated up car market, especially because a lot of people selling probably bought at or around original MSRP.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Highly doubt that. Just people taking advantage of a heated up car market, especially because a lot of people selling probably bought at or around original MSRP.

Obviously just conjecture. I have no dog in this fight as I don't plan on ever selling.

I'm no market guru or I wouldn't have made so many poor financial choices in the past :ack: But the car market has been heated for a few years now. So is it just a coinkydink that more GT's are coming up for sale before the impending release of the new car?

Vincent998 said:
I'm not connected to the car market in any way (other than as an interested watcher) but I doubt that the NFGT will have any negative effect and might have a positive one.

I wasn't so sure of this early on before we knew anything about the NFGT. But I agree with this now 100%. Doesn't mean a very sizable number of other owners don't think so.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Not sure where they are getting their info. The large numbers of GTs going through these auctions has been very steady for the last 2.5 years

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm no market guru or I wouldn't have made so many poor financial choices in the past :ack: But the car market has been heated for a few years now. So is it just a coinkydink that more GT's are coming up for sale before the impending release of the new car?

Tell me. Remember who told gave you all the grief to buy that GT now or regret it later? :biggrin

I think there are a lot of people that believe the across-the-board high prices of collector-ish cars won't last forever, and even if they do, there are people that bought a GT for $150k (or less) and are looking at potentially getting $250-300k out of selling it as a good time to lock that gain in. There are certainly people to whom the GT is just a car, and if you're not keeping it until you're buried and you've already had years of fun out of it, why not pass it on? Plus I know there are people that don't have a lot of miles that are ready to sell because their GT is now a paperweight because they can't drive it for fear of affecting the value. That's no fun.

I have to believe most people can figure out that the new car being a $400k+ proposition and extremely-limited availability means that it will do little to the price of 05/06.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Plus I know there are people that don't have a lot of miles that are ready to sell because their GT is now a paperweight because they can't drive it for fear of affecting the value. That's no fun.

This would be my guess.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
All I can day either way you look at it is great Problem? to have!!

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
I have no "skin" in the auction game and have no interest in selling my FGT, but my opinion is that prices/values of 2005-2006 FGTs will probably rise when the 2017 model hits the market. I think we start to lose track of the historical significance of the original FGTs, that the new car will probably never have. Our GTs are the spiritual successors of the the Le Mans winning GT40s, overall winners for four consecutive years. The next-gen GT will be a class competitor, not in the running for a possible overall win Le Mans. I believe history will trump all in the collector car/exotic marketplace. That said, I think that the 2017 GT is an incredible looking and probably running exotic and demand will outstrip production. Bottomline: It's all good for Ford and GT enthusiasts!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
2005/2006 Ford GT is the bridge between the eras. Best way I've heard it put is from Moray Callum; Ford had to build the 05/06 GT before they could build the new car.

2005/2006 GT is a love letter to the styling and simplicity of the original car. The new car is the spiritual successor of the original car's mission, adapted to the modern era.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I think that we lose sight that the 2005/2006 Ford GT was a participant in the car design to celebrate the 100th year anniversary of the Ford Motor Company, and as such had to win the nomination over other designs for this celebration.

Then, having won the right to be that representative design, the GT capabilities were then pitted against those of the Ferrari 360 Modena, and provided an "updated Ford/Ferrari battle" for street cars. It worked!

...2005/2006 GT is a love letter to the styling and simplicity of the original car. The new car is the spiritual successor of the original car's mission, adapted to the modern era.

:agree:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Am I the only one that thinks values will go UP when the 17 comes out because 99.9% of the people wanting one can't have one and will go looking for alternatives, mainly our cars.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
If the air cooled manual Porsche Turbo, or a manual 550 V-12 with gated shifter is any indication, our F-GT is not going to drop in value anytime soon, enjoy your ride Gentlemen, and don't save the car for the next guy to enjoy it, this is our time :cheers

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Missing the correlation. I doubt few have ever talked about how a new model depreciated a 10 year old car. That in itself speaks volumes of the 05 06. I can tell you what the 488 was doing to my 458 months ago.

The new GT will be based on a race car with low production. We are talking apples and oranges. The 05/06 is unusual from the standpoint of low production and as Ralphie points out the 100th year jewel. It should not suffer from a relationship to the track. Centennial products, whether guns, cars etc appreciate.

This is not like a successor Gen Viper replacing the predecessor . These are distinct , epic cars that will be important many years on.

Last edited:

ttn27

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2014
The more owners that sell their FGT will be give better chance for current original owners like us to get the NFGT. Price of the current FGT will be like the CGT when the Porsche 918 came out.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
Let's hope your right. Ford made over 4,000 05-06's FGT's and Porsche produced around 1,280 05-06 CGT's. IMO, that's quite a few units for one to expect a big jump in return in a vehicles early history cycle. But since both vehicles are such exceptional specimens, it might be the introduction of its successor that really push values higher as you correctly observe in recent CGT pricing. As long as I'm alive, both will remain family heirlooms.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The more owners that sell their FGT will be give better chance for current original owners like us to get the NFGT. Price of the current FGT will be like the CGT when the Porsche 918 came out.

I wonder what the number is for original owners that still have their car.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I wonder what the number is for original owners that still have their car.

Start a poll Shirley.

ttn27

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2014
Start a poll Shirley.

Great idea.