First Annual Mojave Mile Event

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hi Richard,

I think we are eager to try to get into that 190 or 200 MPH level, so I think some are frustrated, to have run into the "roll bar" dilemma. A GT Only event would be cool, such as we had in Texas. However, I am sure that there would be a lot of hurdles to put on such event.

I wanted to personally thank you for promoting Mohave event to the Forum members. I hope we have not frustrated you with our enthusiasm. I hope Mike agrees with the safety of the GT, but again you are right, it is his event.

Kevin

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Supercars push the limit of fun and fearlessness, for a price
12/02/2009
By Marco R. della Cava, USA TODAY

MOJAVE, Calif. — Here are a few things you don't do when driving 200 miles an hour.
You don't think about family, friends or work. You don't worry about updating your Facebook page or missing any Tweets. You don't daydream.

You do concern yourself with surviving an experience that few mortals will savor. The reward is one extraordinary adrenaline rush, while the penalty for distraction includes the destruction of a super-pricey supercar and, um, damage to not only your own body parts but also those of the celebrated race car driver nervously riding shotgun.

"My priorities have always been screwed up," jokes Kent Meyers, 45, an aerospace network administrator from Torrance, Calif. He is paying for the chance to hit a speed at which most planes take off, one attainable only by Herculean cars.

He pops on a helmet as he prepares to shoehorn himself into a fire-breathing Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren (list price: about $500,000) and zip down the 2.7-mile runway here at the Mojave Air & Space Port, a private facility that is home to Burt and Dick Rutan's SpaceShipOne.

"It's expensive, considering that it's just one cool day," Meyers says. "But it's about doing something that for the rest of your life you can say, 'Yeah, I did that.' "

Is this for real? Is it legal? Is it sane considering most of us experience such speeds only in video games?

Yes. Knock yourself out on private grounds. And anyone can play so long as they have a reasonable driving record and enough coins stuffed between those sofa cushions to pay the $4,995 that World Class Driving requires for eight hours in five cars pushing the 200-mph envelope.

"We hear the term 'bucket list,' but I don't really like it, as it implies you may die next," says Jean Paul Libert, a Belgian businessman and ex-racer who started World Class Driving in Europe and added a U.S. office in 2005.

Though the company's main focus is organizing public-road drives in hot cars, its 200-mph XTREME program has taken off. Many leisure businesses are contracting in a sour economy, but Libert is now expanding XTREME from its original Florida location to Texas and here in the California desert.

'It's far less than owning these cars'

So far nearly 90 attendees – about 50% – have hit 200 mph. Those who don't hit the mark back off the throttle out of fear or have track and weather conditions to blame. Once 200 drivers hit 200 mph, Libert says, he'll close this event and "dream up something new."

Libert concedes that five grand for a day's fun isn't cheap. "But it's far less than owning these cars," he says. His fleet includes Ferraris, Lamborghinis and a sleek Ford GT. "Times may be tough, but it doesn't mean people's dreams die."

Fantasy is the prime mover for the 11 folks (all are men; women are rare) huddled under a white tent that groans under the force of a cutting desert wind. Ranging in age from late 20s to nearing retirement, none is destined for race track glory. But all want to experience what a professional driver calls commonplace.

"It's about putting the pedal to the floor and not letting up, which we never get to do," says Alfred Lock, 60, of Los Angeles, a muscle-car lover who made the trip here with his son, Alan, 28, who bought him a spot in the class as a birthday gift.

"There's not much Dad gets pumped up about, but I knew this would do it," says Alan, a former Honda engineer turned stock trader.

The pair are inseparable in the morning training sessions, which find renowned Belgian racer Didier Theys and three other top pros leading the group through two exercises that familiarize students with the otherworldly performance characteristics of exotic cars.

The first involves making a 90-degree turn at 60 mph, triple the common-sense speed. To have a chance at hitting 200, drivers must turn onto the long runway from an adjacent road at a dead sprint, which requires a high-speed turn.

The second exercise involves taking a car up to about 90 mph and then easing on the brake just when your gut tells you to pounce on it with both feet. This is crucial when slowing the car from 200; braking too abruptly will throw the car's weight forward, which in turn can make the rear end swing violently. That's bad.

Eric MacGregor, 25, is having a go at the big turn while his wife, Natalie, 25, looks on nervously. "He's never done this before," she says as painful squeals emanate from the tires of the Ferrari F430 her husband is torturing.

"This isn't as easy as it looks," MacGregor says afterward. "But it is unbelievably entertaining."

His friends nod. The four have made the trek from Vancouver Island in British Columbia, guests of Doug Lockhart, 53, who is rewarding the key players in a recently completed heating and ventilation project.

This is Lockhart's second stab at 200; at a previous event in Miami, weather capped his speed at a mere 195. "That wasn't going to do," he says with a grin. "I needed to come back and nail it."

A haven for thrill-seekers

If you're thinking that Lockhart isn't quite normal, you'd be right.

Studies have shown that thrill-seeking humans have fewer receptors in the brain that monitor infusions of dopamine, the natural chemical that accompanies an especially exciting experience.

"Some events are interpreted two ways by the brain, either 'too much' or 'I feel alive,' " says David Zald, associate professor of psychology and psychiatry at Vanderbilt University. "The difference is the amount of dopamine."

Last year, he scanned the brains of 34 men and women and determined that those who sought out risky adventures were getting big shots of dopamine. Zald says humans probably have always pursued dicey pastimes. "In the old days, it was jumping on fast horses," he says. "Now it's driving cars 200 mph."

Drivers with both skill and capable cars routinely push and exceed the 200-mph barrier during organized rally races on closed Nevada highways.

"This sort of thing appeals to a limited amount of people, but those who love it are fiercely loyal," says Mike Borders, general manager of MKM Racing Promotions, which organizes legal races on highways, airstrips and Western salt flats. Next March, he'll stage the top-speed Mojave Mile at this very airstrip.

"Many people enjoy the rush, but they also like the control. I'll drive my car 200 mph on a closed highway, but I won't jump with a chute I didn't prepare," Borders says. "But I guess in the end, we all have some sort of defective gene."

At the main tent, racer Theys addresses the 200-mph gang, who are busy tucking away a lunch of Mexican food.

For the remainder of the day, they'll get a few attempts – depending on the fading light – to hit the magic number.

"I want everyone to be comfortable, because this is not a competition," he says, dead serious. "If you don't feel you want to go fast, do not go fast. Please."

Meyers breaks 200 mph on his first try in a Lamborghini LP 560, a menacing wedge of Italian beauty.

"It's so flat there is no way to really feel how fast you are going," he says, making his way to the McLaren for another stab at 200-plus. "That said, you know things are not normal. Which is the whole point."

Nearby, Rich Williams, 63, looks like he's just seen Santa Claus. Eyes agog. Mouth open.

"I feel like I just pulled the plugs out of my adrenal glands," says the San Jose-based technical writer. "I've sky-dived, fire-walked, zip-lined. I've even flown in planes that take you to zero gravity. But this is so bloody fast, it's hard to forget."

Each one of today's adventurers will return to their everyday lives with the knowledge, and an inscribed Lucite cube as proof, that they once sat a foot off the ground and traveled 300 feet (about the length of a football field) per second – and lived to tell the tale.

Not that that's enough.

"We had a good tail wind today," Libert says, announcing that Theys hit 212 during a demonstration run.

"Really?" says Rodney Baker, one of the Canadian contingent. "So what would it take for one of us to hit 230?"

Libert knows the answer: guts, endless pavement and Bugatti's Veyron, a $2 million steed whose top speed is 255.

Is a 250-mph program next? Make no mistake: If Libert arranges it, these crazies will come.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
First person: Screaming down the highway, brain screaming
12/02/2009

By Marco R. della Cava, USA TODAY
What does driving 200 mph feel like?
In a word: slow.

Strange as it may seem, taking a showroom-ready sports car to just over one-quarter the speed of sound puts the brakes on time, making each "one, Mississippi" feel like an eternity.

The weapon proffered for this assault is a Lamborghini LP 560, whose alphanumeric name hints at the only data that matter: 560 horsepower, double the oomph of the already spry Lotus Evora. This is land-rocket territory, a realm stalked by $200,000 supercars that can hit 200 in about the same time it takes to read this paragraph (less than 20 seconds).

The first attempt is all about getting cozy with fear. The brain is on the defensive, adjusting to what it is sure is a hijacking of the usual user. The car crosses the starting line at a 25-mph lope – instead of a 60-mph lunge – and the foot isn't sure about mashing the accelerator to the floor.

The result: a humble 170 mph.

After a stern talking-to, the brain decides to get with this forget-the-rules program. The Lamborghini's tires yowl as they bank the car into a movie-chase U-turn that leads to the start of this 2.7-mile airport runway. This time, the right foot pegs the pedal to the metal and never lifts up.

That's when things slow down.

The Mojave landscape is barren, so there are no reference points to create the impression of speed. The car does hop slightly on the uneven tarmac and shimmies thanks to a stiff crosswind, but otherwise the experience is like sitting on top of a washing machine operating at full tilt. You know something violent is going on quite nearby, but somehow you're removed from it all. Even at 205 mph.

That said, the mind dares not wander. Glancing at the speedometer is tempting but verboten. At these speeds, the slightest distraction can command the ultimate penalty. Instead, the eyes scan for the orange cones that signal to slowly lift off the throttle and roll onto the brakes.

Ultimately, exceeding 200 mph in a car divides humans into two camps: those who could do this all day long, and those proud to have survived the test but happy to no longer be brawling with their finger-wagging brains.

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Ditto Blackice...pay extra and make it a Ford GT only function.

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I am concerned about being able to run the X1, I just called and left a message for Michael, the organizer, supposed to call me back Friday. Has anyone else had the X1 question answered? The rules don't consider a "Targa" car as a convertible, therefore a roll bar is not required, so I'd like to get a Targa classification. If anyone has info to address this, I'd appreciate a post, otherwise, I'll post when I get a ruling. With just a tune/pulley, I'm expecting a 180-185 or so run (175 in TX), depending on weather/wind.

Cheers,

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I'll also give a shout out of thanks to Richard for starting the thread and watching/commenting as the carnage unfolded. :wink

Being as I have done the GT school, I agree that I would pay more for a more exclusive event (perhaps GT only) that would get us more runs. If someone could work out the logistics I would be glad to help. Apparently as Kingman posted about the other event held at the airstrip they are open to having other car groups there. Maybe someone should make the call and see what they require to run on the tarmac/hold an event. I would think that the insurance needed would be more for damage to the runway than safety liability concerns.

That said the Texas Mile takes more entrants that 150 if I remember correctly. You have to remember that many of these cars are not going to be there to make maximum number of runs. Some will go once or twice and call it a day. (If I recall correctly SW only made one run with his Supra......but he made it count :thumbsup )

Take it a step further. A lot of these cars are not going to be as reliable as our FGT's and there will probably be quite a few that unfortunately will have mechanical problems. That will also thin the heard. I think Jason (Mullet) said on the busiest day at the Mile he got in 6 runs. And we still don't know if this event will sell out. It sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday......and if I am wrong the worst thing that will happen is I get to meet some new people and put some miles on my GT. That is always a great day for me. :biggrin

After reading the rules I wish they would take a page from the skydiving waiver we have people sign when they show up at the drop zones. A few initials on a one or two page document giving up your right to sue and acknowledging assumed liability for your own actions. The best waiver I ever saw was in Raeford North Carolina. It was one sentence. "By signing this you admit that you have no rights." :lol :cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Well said Skyrex.:cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
GT Only Mile Event Is Needed In The West!

Tallcarguy - were those high speed crashes at an organized one mile speed event? I believe the Texas Mile record is fairly good compared to road coarses. Without the overly restrictive rules.

We definitely did not have 150 participants at the Texas Mile when I was there at the Rally. We could get as many runs as we wanted. I'll bet anyone money that they won't be able to say the same thing at the Mojave Mile.

I'm all for a GT Only one mile event here in the West. It's possible but if not I know I participated in one of the world's best events in Texas!

Ed

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Ed,

Those crashes were in legal open road races. I have only participated in one "one mile" acceleration event (as a good friend reminded me). It was a Saturday event at the Silver State Classic Challenge and I was running my 420 rwhp 1998 Mustang Cobra many years ago.

I will start some research into the requirements for putting on a GT Only one mile event. Let me get some input from the West Coast Forum members. What would you like the participation limited to, 100? - 75? - 50? If it were limited to 50 Ford GTs, would we get 50 people willing to pay around $600 each (just an estimate based on the roughly $200 entry for 150 at the Mojave Mile) for a days worth of high speed one mile blasts? Just something to think about.

Richard Hille
The GT School

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Personally I would pay to have the extra runs/smaller event. To me it would be worth it. But I don't think you would be able to get 50 FGT's. This is not a national rally. I do think that the rest of us may know enough people with other types of exotics/high HP cars who would be interested in a smaller modified event that would allow us a better shot at more runs and the magical 200mph runs that we all crave. Something similar to what Stormcat did in Florida with a slight running start, or like the event Kingman mentioned that used up more of the length of the runway.

Put me down for the Mojave Mile and any other smaller FGT type event that could be organized in the west. :thumbsup :cheers

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I’ve started a dialoged with a reputable outfit in regards to holding a GT only event in either Orange County, InyoKern or Palm Springs. Hope to have some info soon.

Richard, From what I've read it looks like you're not directly involved with the Mojave Mile, so I hope posting this here isn’t considered rude….however once/if I have more info I’ll start another thread.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hi Chris, that sounds like a great idea!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks guys

Wow - maybe it'll be possible to have our own event. I don't mind paying $600 if we can keep it small (50 or less). Mixing up a few exotics with us is ok. No speed limits is a must as is the fun factor. I feel a safe event can be held without fuel cells, harness' bolted to the frame/floor, etc.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow - maybe it'll be possible to have our own event. I don't mind paying $600 if we can keep it small (50 or less). Mixing up a few exotics with us is ok. No speed limits is a must as is the fun factor. I feel a safe event can be held without fuel cells, harness' bolted to the frame/floor, etc.

Ed

+1

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
I'm in if X1's can participate.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA

Ed
+2

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Mike, the organizer called today and gave a tentative OK, for the X1's. I sent him to the gtx1 web site and he's gathering info, but encouraged me to go ahead and register and he'd make a for sure ruling next week, but was 90% sure what we'd be ok, especially if not going over 190mph. He said he really wanted all the GTs to participate, but if shooting for 190+, you might want to double check with him, seemed to indicate he was not certain yet. Hope to see some of you guys there.

cheers,

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Mike is a really nice guy! Mary was great too. I got signed up and spoke to him for a while today. Mike has been studying the Ford GT to be able to give us what he can allow with our cars. He said he is going to look into registering on the site so he can post and answer questions directly. He is working to make a safe fun first event. :thumbsup

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I would also be interested in the GT only event if that was being put together!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
GT Only Event

Get ready for a speed limit for GTs at the Mojave Mile with limited runs.

Lets try for a Mostly GT Only Mile of our own!

Ed