Who drives your GT?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Reading an earlier post about a friend wrecking a GT I wonder who we let drive our cars. I have only had a very few behind the wheel of mine and always preach a tale of doom regarding losing control and always extremely nervous as every bad wreck I’ve been in I was a passenger. . As a matter of fact I give myself the same speech every time I drive knowing the cars far outweighs my driving ability. I’m sure everyone has a different criteria for giving someone “the drive of their life.”

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I’ve only let my brother (and in spite of a clutch mishap I would let him drive it again). I am not opposed to letting friends drive the GT. It is important that they have the bread to buy it if they over estimate their ability or have a good deal of experience driving 'no nanny' cars.

What is odd to me is that I find, on the occasions that I am given the keys to someone else's expensive car, I do not need to drive it fast of tare into the rpms. It’s not that I am trying to be careful with something that isn’t mine but more that I would like to experience the car and that can be done more effectively easing into it’s performance ability. Like a good Scotch, you can drink a straight shot and try not to make a puckered butt face, or you can break it over water and release the full flavor of the whiskey.

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
I have no problem letting my wife drive our GT. She is a very accomplished driver and the GT is no problem for her!

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Only my two sons have driven my GT. Wife is too afraid.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have let a couple VERY experienced racing friends drive it. Wife, has zero interest. No one else. Usually an easy sell, when you start chatting that there is no traction control, and asking if they can write the check to fix it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The only other person besides me that has driven my car hard is Mark McGowan.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I think he was up to the task....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Before one of the "usual suspects" says it, I'll say it myself:

"I never drove my GT my own darn self, why would I let anyone else?" :tongue :leaving:

(Edit: Neither my wife nor our youngest daughter can drive a 'stick'. Our eldest daughter has driven nothing BUT manual tranny cars all her life, however, she usually only comes up here at Christmas ('lives in Scottsdale)...so, the weather is what prevented her from driving the GT.)

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have let a few friends drive my GT. No issues (yet).

Jason from this forum has also driven her.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No one else other than myself. My wife cannot reach the pedals and has no interest. Tomy PS She sits on the carcover in its bag in order to see out as a passenger.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My wife hasn't driven a manual transmission since she taught the daughters to drive and never drove the Cobra either. I'll work on her next summer since driving 800+ miles without cruise control means I'll need a break. My daughters both drive manual transmission cars (and have since they learned to drive) but neither wants to drive the GT - "too scary".

The only other person that will get to drive it will be my friend and mechanic. We were going to go for a spin and put it up on his lift to look underneath but the weather has turned here so it's officially down for the duration - battery tender and car cover installed and snow blower behind the GT instead of in front. I'll probably bring it out to the driveway every couple of weeks to let it warm up but no driving.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
My brother drove mine. Even after extensive warnings about 'taking it easy', he thought he'd try to drift it around a corner. Luckily, no issue, but that will be his last time driving it. /goofball

Besides that, a buddy of mine has driven it.. he owns 720whp GT2, a 820whp GT2 and a 1500+whp TT Gallardo, so I had no concerns about him driving it.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I have only offered it to three people; my brother who didnt end up driving it as we ran out of time and my brother inlaw and a friend who both declined based on the fact he couldnt write a cheque for it.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
No one else other than myself. My wife cannot reach the pedals and has no interest. Tomy PS She sits on the carcover in its bag in order to see out as a passenger.

I have the exact same situation , except my wife sits on a pillow

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Other than myself, I did sit in the passenger seat and let a friend of my daughters drive. He has had a Porsche on Lime Rock so I figured it would be fine. Warned him to be gentle. After about 15 minutes I told him he coudl give it some more...his answer was great..."I am just learning how to dance with her and I am not quite ready". Another 15 minutes and he was ready. He did fine.

Stu

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
If I drive someone else's car (whether GT or a beater) and the owner has NOT been with me, when I hand the keys back I ask, "Do you know how fast your car will go?"

I usually get a horrified look as they respond with a hesitant, "No, how fast does it go?"

Then I answer, "Oh, I don't know. I was just curious." :biggrin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have the exact same situation , except my wife sits on a pillow

+1 :bored

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Some friends and some employees (with me as passenger), race instructors, my son. Asked her several times but wife remains too intimidated.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Wrong! I also drove your car! I drove Andy's car too!
I have been very lucky to have driven many GT's owned by forum members.And I thank you all!
Its kinda like having sex, with a bunch of different hot chicks!

H

HHGT

When I first got it I said no one will ever drive it. Since then, a handful of people have driven it in the past couple of years and a couple of them had to become GT owners and did.