What tires are TT Guys using?

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
2005 Hennessey GT 1000 SC/TT with several internal mods. Currently have the Bridgestone Potenza tires, 345-30-19. Looking for a replacement tire that will provide more traction, open to drag radials. Street use and occasional 1/2 mile events. Anyone running the Toyo Proxes?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A lot of guys use the Hoosiers for those venues.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Yes, Hoosiers are fantastic. If so, ask the tires shop to carve intermediate grooves on the tires, for just in case getting caught in unexpected rain.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The tires you use depends on your wheels. There are very limited tires for use on stock size rims. Pick the tire you want to use and then find wheels to match.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hoosier R6, which is now the R7 is the best choice for a stock wheel set up.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I have ran Hoosiers in the past and they are pretty good but at those power levels you have to be very alert.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
new mickey thompson s/s tire. Mullet runs them now i think too. Hoosier is great aslo just they are not any what so ever a dot tire

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I have the older MT ET Streets on 20s. Great TC!! Don't last long and don't get caught in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
Thanks for the reply's some of the tire post were 8 years old so I wanted to get an update. I have Nitto 555 on my C6 Z06 and they were great except in rain and now down right dangerous when getting old. But they lasted forever. These current Bridgestone Scud,, are great, but trying to get an idea of what else is good and out there as they are useless in at 65 degrees

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I've used Hoosier R-6's for both street and track for years and love them. I don't drive in the rain if I can help it but I've been caught a long way from home in a downpour and you just need to drive carefully. Normally get 3000 miles out of a set or one hard track weekend. Traction is so much better than any street tire that the car feels much safer on the R-6's (R-7's). You'll love them in dry conditions. During our long drive in Europe prior to Le Mans where there was a ton of rain I used Bridgestones and that worked out well.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Too bad the rear tires in 315x40x19 aren't a standard production size at Hoosier/Continental anymore. It seems that the new R7 is only W rated.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I wish Michelin would take pity on us and make the Pilot Sport Cup 2s in our size. I'd settle for 345/35/19 or 325/35/20. C'mon Michelin help us out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
new mickey thompson s/s tire. Mullet runs them now i think too. Hoosier is great aslo just they are not any what so ever a dot tire

Hoosier R6/7 have a DOT number & are street legal. The manufacturer, to limit their liability, has a no street use recommendation on the tire but it is a DOT tire. I drive on my Hoosiers everywhere. I have over 25,000 street & track miles on Hoosiers. Once a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire, OEM on many sport cars, is worn slightly or shaved it is basically a Hoosier looking tire.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I custom ordered Hoosiers for our OEM wheels & have extras if anyone is interested they can pm me.

Ed