VIR Requirements

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Please forgive me if this is posted and I've missed it. I've been on the VIR site and have scanned several of these threads. What are the requirements to track at VIR? Does VIR have helmets for rent or sale?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Trust me you don't want to use a loaner helmut
Just buy on open face

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Trust me you don't want to use a loaner helmut
Just buy on open face

Ron,

Any recommendations for those of us who don't see the track that often? I'm all about paying for quality when it comes to buying safety equipment, but as much as I see the track, I won't need anything fancy.

Best Regards,
Waldo

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Depending on which group you run in, you're welcome to borrow my Bell helmet when I'm not on the track - the size on mine is Large.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I loaned and borrowed some equipment in Texas and it really cut down on my track time. It is a major pain in the ass tracking people down to swap stuff. To many dam cars look alike!!!! Be prepared with what is required? is favored. IMO

Plus that stuff is sweaty and ripe!!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
A nice Arai helmet is $600. I have seen other brand name cheaper ones for $3-400. You only have to buy a helmet once.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I bought a nice Bell helmet for about $300 - happy with it. Not the ideal thing to plan to share, IMHO, except in a pinch.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bought a nice Bell helmet for about $300 - happy with it. Not the ideal thing to plan to share, IMHO, except in a pinch.

I wish I could have purchased a Bell, but to maximize head clearance I had to go with the more expensive Arai.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Suggestion, instead of worrying about sweaty helmets/loaners, just buy a head sock (balaclava). Your hair looks bad when you take it off, but you can get one out of Nomex for as low as $30. Big Inch Blake may bring some extras.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Here is a good browsing source (I have no affiliation). They have a Gforce for $249. Also I do have to disagree with Ron, I would not personally use an open face. He is a fan, and uses one, but I would not, and there might be sanctioning bodies that dont allow them.

http://www.saferacer.com/

Look forward to seeing you and your wife again, you will find VIR MUCH more fun than the track at LVMS.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I have an open face Bell I use for track days. It seems cooler than a full face and I don't drive aggressive enough to realistically have to worry about it. But....

According to the VIR website the kart track requires a closed face helmet and neck collar. I'm gonna buy a full face just in case.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
What are the requirements to track at VIR?

A Snell SA rated helmet is required.

Soloracer.com has a 10% off coupon code on orders over $250 and free shipping on orders over $150. Use "2010helmetsale" for your 10% discount.

Best Regards,

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Please forgive me if this is posted and I've missed it. I've been on the VIR site and have scanned several of these threads. What are the requirements to track at VIR? Does VIR have helmets for rent or sale?

Yo Kelvin , I am happy to hear you are coming !! We missed you and Shelley last year !! See you soon Dude !! :banana

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Can we take passengers? I'm bringing a spare helmet for a passenger but AlohaGT can use it if he doesn't sweat. AlohaGT - you can reduce the amount you sweat if you stop drinking fluids for a few days before the event!

Ed

PS Rocketman likes the open face so everyone can see his grin. He's having fun!

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Just a suggestion. Pick up a full face Snell rated helmet before you come to the track. It is absolutely essential to make sure it is the correct size and fits you properly for both safety and comfort. You will probably drive with your windows open and there is always a risk of something being kicked into your window from a car in front. At the end of the day, how much is your head worth?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can we take passengers? I'm bringing a spare helmet for a passenger but AlohaGT can use it if he doesn't sweat. AlohaGT - you can reduce the amount you sweat if you stop drinking fluids for a few days before the event!

Ed

PS Rocketman likes the open face so everyone can see his grin. He's having fun!

Ed, yes, YOU can take passengers. I expect you'll be doing some instructin for us?

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
You have to pay close attention to what is called the "SNELL RATING", a classification system by which the helmet essentially has a use-expiration date and is not acceptable for use at respectable track and Sports Car Club events, VSCCA being one such organization. Each helmet has a label or sticker inside , usually on the inside top with a date on it. Check with a quality dealer and they will explain all the in's and outs, as well as correctly fit you for the right size helmet.
Additionally,DO DO DO buy a "HANS DEVICE", a neck-brace device which will save your life if you hit something and your head snaps forward. By far and away a "must-have" if you value our life. Again, check with your dealer if you don't know what this is, then buy one that fits your helmet and your body-type.
Paul Eddy

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Just a note, Hans only if you have 4-5 or 6 point harness in the car. If you do, hans is strongly recommended, as well.

,DO DO DO buy a "HANS DEVICE", a neck-brace device which will save your life if you hit something and your head snaps forward. By far and away a "must-have" if you value our life. Again, check with your dealer if you don't know what this is, then buy one that fits your helmet and your body-type.
Paul Eddy

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Many thanks y'all for your great suggestions and generous offers. Really looking forward to catching up after a very long absence.

Now I have to get on the stick, order my helmets and HANS. If I don't mail order, any suggestions on where I might purchase these in the L.A. area on Friday?

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Last year after researching helmets. I bought an Arai, I don't recall the model at the moment. It was a design that gave me the best clearance to the door (I am 6'2) and ordered the extra wide face opening.

It was sort of pricey If I recall at $800ish But I am really happy with the fit, I tried on alot of helmets and found this was the ticket for me.

Mike