Vehicle registration now required to purchase parts

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Vehicle Registration Now Required to Purchase Parts.

I think they failed to think this through and probably to notify the legal department that they sold Ford GT engines via Ford Racing when they got the okay. Since a legitimate Ford Racing customer cannot buy dealer only parts anymore even for scheduled maintenance items, they are left with a engine that is not suitable for the purpose it was sold for. Example item is the oil pump belt.

So another case in point: a guy buys wrecked Ford GTs at an auction as a legitimate dealer. He can't get parts to repair the vehicle because he doesn't have a Ford GT registration. He can't get a registration in his state until the vehicle is repaired. What is he supposed to do? Another case in point: what about the people who are racing Ford GTs that were built from chassis that Ford Racing sold in the catalogue years ago and were campaigned by Ford to race them. RE: (Robertson Racing, Matech cars and other teams with GTs) How are they to obtain Ford GT parts for their cars? Another case in point: What I am I supposed to do with all these Ford GT chassis I purchased with a business plan of building complete cars for racing? The whole idea was that we would make these in to complete cars or at least complete rollers with suspension and steering. Now what? Final comment: with several hundred GTs totally destroyed and gone, most Ford GT wrecks have been repaired from the auctions and now people not driving their low mileage GTs anymore due to valuation, what is Ford going to do with the multi-million dollar inventory of Ford GT parts they have on the shelf? From a business model alone, does it make sense any company would keep millions of dollars of parts inventory for an eleven+ year old car that gets older everyday where parts aren't being purchased for? The reduction already started the beginning of this year with body parts. I think someone realized that Ford didn't need almost 400 pair of front fenders and 3/4 were either scrapped or stashed. Anyone that knows the Ford parts system knows how it works. Ford can take the write off on scrap real easy not to mention that as soon as a new head bean counter comes onto the scene and sees millions of dollars of parts for an old car not being sold, the writing is on the wall. Doesn't matter who promised what and for how long, that's old news. Do we want to see the parts get scrapped, of course not but it will happen unless an outside company comes in and purchases the entire parts support for the Ford GT. It will happen. Head bean counters could care less if the part is for an Escape or a Ford GT. The business model supports what I'm saying and it isn't the first time it's been done at Ford and many other companies as well. JMHO

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
Whenever I hear something like this I always consider there is another reason that is hidden by the original inquiry

My thought are that it may be a roundabout way to keep track of owners for recall notices and or marketing.

Data is so valuable right now why not come up with a bogus reason for getting current info on all of the people buying parts. Name address, insurance info etc.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
125 miles--1/4 mile at a time...

That explains it. For 1/4 mile runs I would buy a spec clutch, the OEM clutch isn't suited for that.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
A couple months ago I posted that my car got a front cover scrape from another car that turned left through stopped traffic and swiped me. I took it to D&V Autobody Masters here in N. Virginia. Part of that process was to remove the front bumper cover and foam bumper absorber on the front crossmember, which requires a new one to reinstall and two retainers that support the cover. These are not big expensive parts, about $130 for the absorber and $65 each for the retainers.

The body shop placed the order for parts through Koons Ford in Falls Church, VA on Jan 21st. They emailed me back about a week later to say they needed my registration as proof of ownership to order the parts. No problem, I sent that to them a day or two later. the body shop still has not received these parts, so my car has been sitting there for a month. They have kept me updated on the ( lack of) progress. Yesterday I took it into my own hands and contacted the parts manager at Koons Ford to find out what was taking so long, since all the info had been supplied over a month ago. He said that the small group in Ford that handles these orders was very slow to deal with, and that he had called them several times. He said he would now tell them the the owner of the car (me) was breathing on his neck and to get those parts shipped ASAP. We'll see what results he gets. But, if we don't get the parts next week, I want to contact someone in Ford who can push this along. I also separately asked one of the guys at the Ford parts counter to check the parts system to make sure they were available, and he confirmed that they are, so it's not a lack of supply.

Two questions for you Cognoscenti: (1) Who should I contact, and do you have a direct phone or email address? And (2), is anyone else having this much trouble getting repair parts?

Thanks in advance.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Let me know where they get and I'll handle it if they don't get anywhere.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
A couple months ago I posted that my car got a front cover scrape from another car that turned left through stopped traffic and swiped me. I took it to D&V Autobody Masters here in N. Virginia. Part of that process was to remove the front bumper cover and foam bumper absorber on the front crossmember, which requires a new one to reinstall and two retainers that support the cover. These are not big expensive parts, about $130 for the absorber and $65 each for the retainers.

The body shop placed the order for parts through Koons Ford in Falls Church, VA on Jan 21st. They emailed me back about a week later to say they needed my registration as proof of ownership to order the parts. No problem, I sent that to them a day or two later. the body shop still has not received these parts, so my car has been sitting there for a month. They have kept me updated on the ( lack of) progress. Yesterday I took it into my own hands and contacted the parts manager at Koons Ford to find out what was taking so long, since all the info had been supplied over a month ago. He said that the small group in Ford that handles these orders was very slow to deal with, and that he had called them several times. He said he would now tell them the the owner of the car (me) was breathing on his neck and to get those parts shipped ASAP. We'll see what results he gets. But, if we don't get the parts next week, I want to contact someone in Ford who can push this along. I also separately asked one of the guys at the Ford parts counter to check the parts system to make sure they were available, and he confirmed that they are, so it's not a lack of supply.

Two questions for you Cognoscenti: (1) Who should I contact, and do you have a direct phone or email address? And (2), is anyone else having this much trouble getting repair parts?

Thanks in advance.

Pete I do not have these issues with my local Ford dealer when ordering parts for the GT. 3 days and they are at my dealer with proof of registration. Sounds like imo you dealer is being lazy or something else is going on.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I always thought Parts were a profit center. Seems like selling as many as possible would be a good thing.

Reactions: BAT

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I ordered some replacement clamshell struts. I did have to give my vin, but the parts only took a week to get in. sorry, but no issues here. it might just be a common part.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If the parts were simply being consumed by us the owners, then maybe, but when the parts are being bought by speculators to be resold in the future, no.

I always thought Parts were a profit center. Seems like selling as many as possible would be a good thing.

Reactions: dbk

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If the parts were simply being consumed by us the owners, then maybe, but when the parts are being bought by speculators to be resold in the future, no.

The 05/06 GT parts system was severely screwed by this, which is why the registration requirement exists, and why the 2017+ car parts system is even tighter.

Reactions: BtwoG

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Let me know where they get and I'll handle it if they don't get anywhere.
Dave, thanks. I will check in with the Koons Ford parts manager early next week. If they aren't already shipped, I'll PM you.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Dave, the dealer got some of the parts, but not all. I'll PM you w details separately.

Jim Thommen

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Bethel,Ct
I never registered my Gt in 2005 and is on Factory MSO. I called Ford and I was able to provide a copy of the MSO front and back with a picture of the car with vin and the parts were released.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Agree with owners saying the requirement of a current registration really needs a rule re-write. I recently went in to dealer to get parts, prepared with title in hand (no lien) , multiple forms of ID, proof of active insurance and a registration that had lapsed 1 month prior. Not good enough. I'm all for the protections of selling only to a legitimate owner, but to consider the proof I had inadequate, is inexcusable BS.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Dave, thanks. I will check in with the Koons Ford parts manager early next week. If they aren't already shipped, I'll PM you.

Pete, Johnny Koons hangs out at the Tysons Sport & Health Club in Tysons Corner, as well as The Capital Grille there. Nice guy that's approachable.......and even more agreeable if you have a great looking honey-bunny with you!

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
I never registered my Gt in 2005 and is on Factory MSO. I called Ford and I was able to provide a copy of the MSO front and back with a picture of the car with vin and the parts were released.
Same here

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ed: A couple days after I PMed DBK, my body shop got the parts. I don't know if Dave had enough time to intervene, but its moot now. Still Ford should be a little more customer-friendly on these parts if the customer provides reasonable documentation.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Obviously we order a lot of parts and I can tell you that right now it is worse than it has ever been. It's really impacting our business as I cannot schedule cars in here with any kind of accuracy and God forbid that we discover that we need a part we were not anticipating. I understand and appreciate the "why", but the process needs improvement. One component of the problem is that my dealership parts guys are simply too busy to deal with the process BS. Nothing seems automated and each time they want status (because I bugging them for status) they have to call and often they do not get answers with any kind of precision, We have never tried to screw Ford, or hoard parts but just trying to service THEIR halo car - yet we get the same "he-might-be-a-criminal" treatment.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Proof of ownership is the least of the problem. Dealers don't stock GT parts. And why would they tie up capital on slow moving inventory even if they were allowed to? They too are at the mercy of the Ford-level system.

Example: Hood struts. Ford Parts tells the dealer in May they will be restocked on June 6. Then June 6 becomes June 20. Then the answer is "another two weeks or so." Four weeks later, still backordered.

For me, providing proof of ownership has been a non-issue. The supply system can't reliably provide even common wear items.

EDIT: Just now, "Again sorry for the delay. The current date is August 2nd." For gas struts ordered in May! The re-supply dates provided by Ford to dealers are fiction.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It completely OK for me that the dealership doesn't stock parts. A simple 3-5 working day delay to get the parts is no big deal. I have a problem with weeks and continuously slipping dates. I must have a dozen or so front gas struts on order for various (VIN) cars. Funny story - a few weeks ago I ordered 4 gas struts - two for the clamshell and two for the bonnet. Parts guy ordered and received 4 (suspension) shocks. Obviously I didn't take delivery but this "mistake" came in handy when I needed a pair of rear shocks and the dealer had them in stock!. BTW, rear shocks retail for $990+ each right now.