Vehicle registration now required to purchase parts

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My local dealer informed me that no parts can be ordered without proving vehicle registration. Prior to that they required a copy of insurance coverage showing my name and vin. The dealer claims it came down from Corporate to require this. On March 1 I will have owned my car for 10 years. I'm the original owner. When I visit any dealer for service they pull me up on THEIR computer and see that I'm the owner.

Can it get more complicated to keep my car running?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Silverbullitt, this is for YOUR protection to insure future parts availability at "reasonable" prices.

Not complicated. Just show the dealer your current registration and order your part.

Reactions: roketman

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You can thank the parts hoarders and resellers for this. I agree, annoying as hell as we have to go through the same BS when we order parts, but Ford is just trying to protect the owners of cars which I think is a positive thing.

Reactions: SYCO GT

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
This is a requirement with other new Fords as well. We just ordered some duct work for a new Transit and Vin was required.

It's for verified owner protection. And a good thing IMO.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Went through this rigamarole to order an oil pump belt for the car's 30k service. One month later I'm still waiting......
Hope I get it before the drive to Daytona in January!

Reactions: DAVNET

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Went through this rigamarole to order an oil pump belt for the car's 30k service. One month later I'm still waiting......
Hope I get it before the drive to Daytona in January!

David, if it doesn't show up soon, give me a shout.
I have one sitting in the cabinet, and won't be putting it on for a while.
You can have it, and then just ship me yours when it shows up.

Jeff

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Underground parts via the GT forum. This makes things happen.

Reactions: roketman

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
So car is at my local specialty shop for oil change and trans fluid change. He called to say he called Ford to order trans drain and fill plugs. Was told he needed to fax VIN, mileage, and registration for the car and part requested, then Ford would "approve or disapprove " of the order. What's up with this for a simple bolt??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So car is at my local specialty shop for oil change and trans fluid change. He called to say he called Ford to order trans drain and fill plugs. Was told he needed to fax VIN, mileage, and registration for the car and part requested, then Ford would "approve or disapprove " of the order. What's up with this for a simple bolt??

I know it's inconvenient, but Ford is trying to better manage the supply of parts so they will be available for many years to come. I would be more concerned about the reason the shop doing your work needed to order new transaxle drain and fill plugs. Make sure you check the transaxle case when you get the car back.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1. Doesn't matter what the part is for a gt. Copy of registration is needed EVERY time you buy something. I'm good with this. As mentioned, might be inconvenient, but the intention is to protect our parts supply.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I know it's inconvenient, but Ford is trying to better manage the supply of parts so they will be available for many years to come. I would be more concerned about the reason the shop doing your work needed to order new transaxle drain and fill plugs. Make sure you check the transaxle case when you get the car back.

Ditto. Why in the world do you need transaxle drain and fill plugs?? I've never heard of these going bad or being worn out in ANY car. The case is much softer material, so I don't see how they could get stripped in normal service.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Ditto. Why in the world do you need transaxle drain and fill plugs?? I've never heard of these going bad or being worn out in ANY car. The case is much softer material, so I don't see how they could get stripped in normal service.

Big misunderstanding by the shop!! Bolts are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
It is a good system to help thwart hoarding.
I had to do the same to get two new gas struts for my clamshell.
Andy (ajb)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It is a good system to help thwart hoarding.

It is an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE system - and it should be re-thought/revised very soon. Yes, the intent is good but the execution STINKS!

Case in point: I had a Heritage in here a week or so ago. 125 miles on the odometer. It had a bad clutch... take that back - an absolutely disintegrated clutch! The car had registration to the current owner but it was not current. Why keep the registration in California current when CLEARLY you are not driving the car?

Guess what.... there was NO WAY I could buy a clutch through Ford. The answer kept coming back that there was a piece of paper that said nope, the registration has to be current. Everyone kept reading the same piece of paper, but no one wanted to THINK. I explained the situation until I was blue in the face. Called Customer Service - and was explicitly lied to ("sir, the car is more than 10 years old and we don't have that part anymore", etc.) Escalated. Got absolutely no where.

Good idea, Ford, and I mean that sincerely, but you need to put some common sense behind it. I think the intent is to help owners and in this case, it was no help at all. Just an exercise in frustration and ultimately, futility.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Interesting how such an ultra low mileage car can need a new clutch already. Maybe you should install one of those Stillen or Spec clutches that are highly rated by almost everyone.

Also living in California I do you understand how not registering it makes a lot of sense if you're not driving the car. What a pita.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Case in point: I had a Heritage in here a week or so ago. 125 miles on the odometer. It had a bad clutch... take that back - an absolutely disintegrated clutch! The car had registration to the current owner but it was not current. Why keep the registration in California current when CLEARLY you are not driving the car?

Guess what.... there was NO WAY I could buy a clutch through Ford. The answer kept coming back that there was a piece of paper that said nope, the registration has to be current. Everyone kept reading the same piece of paper, but no one wanted to THINK. I explained the situation until I was blue in the face. Called Customer Service - and was explicitly lied to ("sir, the car is more than 10 years old and we don't have that part anymore", etc.) Escalated. Got absolutely no where.

Good idea, Ford, and I mean that sincerely, but you need to put some common sense behind it. I think the intent is to help owners and in this case, it was no help at all. Just an exercise in frustration and ultimately, futility.

I asked exactly that question a while ago: What about all of the "Laura Palmer" cars? (Laura Palmer == Twin Peaks == "[dead,] wrapped in plastic". It seems that they didn't consider this.

How will they charge off the air bag recall on such cars??? The paperwork says Ford will make a home call to do the work and I expect most of the cars-in-wrapper owners will take them up on the offer.

P.S. What did you do for the clutch?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Case in point: I had a Heritage in here a week or so ago. 125 miles on the odometer. It had a bad clutch... take that back - an absolutely disintegrated clutch!

That's some interesting stuff right there!

I support the parts conservation system, but I agree there needs to be a way to handle things that never happen. ;)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Interesting how such an ultra low mileage car can need a new clutch already. Maybe you should install one of those Stillen or Spec clutches that are highly rated by almost everyone.
125 miles--1/4 mile at a time...

Reactions: SYCO GT and Ed Sims

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
125 miles--1/4 mile at a time...

Yep that would take care of it! LOL

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009