Updates on your 2005-2006 Ford GT, What have you done lately?

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Is Penske coil overs our only aftermarket option for suspension? I wonder if we can get enough orders that Scott Ahlman could submit for a batch.
Scott actually is running some sets not sure how many but I just purchased a set about a month ago and he told me it would be 10-12 week lead time. He may have pre-sold all the sets though. Worth a shot to ask him though.

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Find out anything?
I know they still make the 4.5L whipple for the GT. I got one for my car a couple months ago.

I was trying to hold out for the Gen V 3.8L whipple but it’s been over a year and still no announcement.

Reactions: Red-Rocket

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Scott actually is running some sets not sure how many but I just purchased a set about a month ago and he told me it would be 10-12 week lead time. He may have pre-sold all the sets though. Worth a shot to ask him though.

Ah, I stand corrected.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I know they still make the 4.5L whipple for the GT. I got one for my car a couple months ago.

I was trying to hold out for the Gen V 3.8L whipple but it’s been over a year and still no announcement.

What are the pros and cons of the 3.8 vs. 4.5? Fuel system upgrades for one?

Have you installed the 4.5 yet?

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
Sorry, I have no idea who Scott is. I do know what I like and would like to have at this moment. I'm sure he is very knowledgeable, I have race cars, this is not for that.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It is my understanding that it is or was a supply issue

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
What are the pros and cons of the 3.8 vs. 4.5? Fuel system upgrades for one?

Have you installed the 4.5 yet?
I have not finished my build yet.

I am doing a full fuel system though along with accompanying upgrades like clutch, exhaust, air intakes, throttle body, etc. I definitely won’t be using the full potential of the 4.5L.

From my understanding the 3.8L is the generation 5 so it’s all the latest technology. Which means it is more efficient and better cooling. The Gen V 3.8L will actually make more full potential power than the 4.5L. Wish whipple would have been quicker to release a kit for the GT but seems it’s on the back burner.

Reactions: Anderson and 2112

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Brought my 2006 out to a Sunday neighborhood gathering and was asked for a couple rides from youngsters that showed an extra interest and knowledge of cars. With their parents permission, turned off the airbag and off we went. They loved it!

Still brings joy to so many.

What a beauty, in this day and age of electrics and technology, the pure analog 2nd Generation GT still grabs one's soul where it matters most.

And will shoot a message out to Scott Ahlman and see about suspension options.

IMG_0121 2.jpg

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A Moment With Daniel! For Those Who Remember! Four Seasons Hotel, Austin, Texas, Rest In Peace Buddy!

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 34

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO

I talked with Whipple directly about a new kit a about 10 months ago and they told me "Unfortunately right now we do not see a demand for it".

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I wonder if a group purchase was organized would it help?

Having an older 3.8L, It would be great to know what improvements could be gained.

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
Talked to them today, they said maybe, no on the Gen V, it would be a 4.5 Ltr. I asked them to add me to there list, If we had enough people I can push them along???

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sorry, I have no idea who Scott is. I do know what I like and would like to have at this moment. I'm sure he is very knowledgeable, I have race cars, this is not for that.
Scott not only has EXTENSIVE suspension experience, but he also designed our 05-06 OEM suspension. He knows the 05-06 FGT. So he decided to come up with a replacement damper package for the car, based on Ohlins shocks with his valve design. He wanted to create an all around package for both the street, and track, if the owner wanted to do that. He also wanted to address the NVH that the only other readily available option had (noise of the Penske). I got an early set, and I can tell you that they work on track, but the more noticeable difference was in "normal" not even aggressive street driving. Oh... and an added bonus? They are serviceable, where as the OEM Multimatic units are not.

I too have race cars, and these dampers do not create that "feeling" on the street.

FYI https://www.ahlmanperformance.com/products/ohlins-ttx-ahlman-performance-stageii-for-gen1-fordgt-713

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I do not get any noticeable noise from my Penske shocks, just a harsh ride regardless of settings. They do look good though.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You can look up my previous comments on Scott Ahlman’s shocks. Bottom line: they can be set softer for the street than the original shocks, and of course much firmer for the track. They track the wheels over road irregularities better than the OE shocks and provide more compliance without being mushy. Rebound and compression are independently adjustable.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I went looking for the stickies of interviews of the people who worked on the original “petunia” program to develop the GT. One of those was a long interview with Scott. I couldn’t find them anymore. Does anyone know what happened to those?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I just heard back from Scott Ahlman and they are planning to share an update very soon.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I went looking for the stickies of interviews of the people who worked on the original “petunia” program to develop the GT. One of those was a long interview with Scott. I couldn’t find them anymore. Does anyone know what happened to those?
https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/ten-questions-with-scott-ahlman.26642/

They're at the top of the recently retitled 05-06 Ford GT Finance Blog 🤪 subforum.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Yes, that’s it. Note the other interviews/10 questions stickies too.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Are you aware of the racing teams Scott has worked with?? From IMSA to nascar to Indy cars! Did I mention he is a chassis engineer?
A great guy too!
I'm not doubting anything about Scott. But it is unlikely that he has supported as many race cars as the Penske team, they are a motorsports powerhouse. The guys that design, test and build the coilovers for our cars are the same guys design, test and build the suspension for the top tier race series.