twin turbo help

Mar 15, 2006
To the TT only guys, I certainly mean no offense about the "Honda" remark. My point is simply that the turbo lag from idle to 3500 rpm is significant. Describe it, mitigate it any way you want. Take a TT only FGT, put it in 5th pr 6th gear on the freeway at 70 mph and then hit the gas and go wide open throttle. You are going to wait a while to get to 90 mph without downshifting 1 or 2 gears. The factory stock supercharged 5.4 has very broad power, torque and throttle response at all rpm's - especially from idle to 3500 rpm - so why would you want to give that up? That is my opinion and I will leave it at that.

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
To the TT only guys, I certainly mean no offense about the "Honda" remark. My point is simply that the turbo lag from idle to 3500 rpm is significant. Describe it, mitigate it any way you want. Take a TT only FGT, put it in 5th pr 6th gear on the freeway at 70 mph and then hit the gas and go wide open throttle. You are going to wait a while to get to 90 mph without downshifting 1 or 2 gears. The factory stock supercharged 5.4 has very broad power, torque and throttle response at all rpm's - especially from idle to 3500 rpm - so why would you want to give that up? That is my opinion and I will leave it at that.

John, do you have any customers anywhere in Canada with the tt sc setup? I'd be willing to travel anywhere up here to go for a ride in one to see what its like? I'd come down to you but for some reason the U.S. boarder doesn't like me :(

Mar 15, 2006
930, if you can fly down for the Texas Mile event later this month there should be several of both setups there. As far as I know we do not have any TT SC Ford GT's in Canada at this time. Maybe you will be the first and only!

Let me know if you can make it down to Texas as we have a couple of local owners who have these cars who can give you a proper test ride.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
John you posted this and I am confused?
Typo or something missing?

1. TT only will give you the greatest amount of power for a specific amount of boost. At 20 psi our TT / SC system on 93 octane makes about 840-860 rear wheel hp. At the same 20 psi boost we see around 870-900 rear wheel hp.Ps. My TT piggy bank isn't full up yet but getting close.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
John you posted this and I am confused?
Typo or something missing?

1. TT only will give you the greatest amount of power for a specific amount of boost. At 20 psi our TT / SC system on 93 octane makes about 840-860 rear wheel hp. At the same 20 psi boost we see around 870-900 rear wheel hp.Ps. My TT piggy bank isn't full up yet but getting close.

I believe he meant it make about 30-40 more hp on the top end with just the TT set up! although it may be confusing due to the first statement "greatest power for a specific amount of boost" Im not completely sure what this means either, according to this statement the tt alone should make more power when the boost is at 5lbs or 10 lbs or 15lbs ???/??? respectively compared to a ttsc set up. IDK if that is entirely correct.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think John is acknowledging the fact that a TT only car will make more RWHP than a TT + SC car at the same boost pressures. The rationale here is that the TT-only car doesn't need to exert any power to spin the blower.

I'd welcome the opportunity to Dyno a TT + SC car on the same day that we dyno a TT car. The differences at the top end are MUCH more than 30-40HP. Each time there is an event like the mile, all of us get more information. Look, for example at what Mullet will run (TT+SC) and look at Torrie's TT-only car. I think both cars are around 1100 RWHP. I think Mullet is at 29psi and Torrie in the 24psi range. Maybe they will let us know!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
If you come to Houston I will take you for a ride that will make you write a check for a TT/SC setup.

930, if you can fly down for the Texas Mile event later this month there should be several of both setups there. As far as I know we do not have any TT SC Ford GT's in Canada at this time. Maybe you will be the first and only!

Let me know if you can make it down to Texas as we have a couple of local owners who have these cars who can give you a proper test ride.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
FWIW the most my car has dynoed is 1026 and it touched 28 lbs. On that run. It was set at 30 but only got to 28. My car will sometimes run juuuuuuust under what boost levels I set it at and sometimes it will go 1-2 lbs. Over. On my 226.2 mph mile run the boost hit 29.2 lbs. When it was set at 26 lbs. This was just after the install. Now the car runs about 1 lb. Under what I set it at. I did 224.5 at the last mile with the car set at 30 lbs. And it touching 29.1 on that run.

Take all that info how you want but my car for the same dynoed power level seems to run a couple mph faster at the Texas mile compared to a similar power leveled TT only cars. Ask Kumar, Chip, DBK and Apollo (slipping clutch).

I have to say Torrie looks like a great contender at 1100+ hp. I might have to crank mine up past what I have before, grit my teeth and let her rip if he tops my 226.2.

I think John is acknowledging the fact that a TT only car will make more RWHP than a TT + SC car at the same boost pressures. The rationale here is that the TT-only car doesn't need to exert any power to spin the blower.

I'd welcome the opportunity to Dyno a TT + SC car on the same day that we dyno a TT car. The differences at the top end are MUCH more than 30-40HP. Each time there is an event like the mile, all of us get more information. Look, for example at what Mullet will run (TT+SC) and look at Torrie's TT-only car. I think both cars are around 1100 RWHP. I think Mullet is at 29psi and Torrie in the 24psi range. Maybe they will let us know!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
And the two biggest components that will impact every single one of us for mile speeds are atmospheric conditions and how aggressively you drive.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
And the two biggest components that will impact every single one of us for mile speeds are atmospheric conditions and how aggressively you drive.

Exactly.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
This is not to stir the debate as I think that everyone has made great points and both are great systems, it is just a question I have as my tech knowledge is very poor. I mostly just drive.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way :wink, what would the result be if a TT was run at 28-30psi both horsepower wise and to the engine?? Would it blow the engine??

Also say you are at 1,000hp and you move to 1,100, what is the theoretical difference in what you would be able to run MPH wise??

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I'm going to guess 1000 to 1100 hp will give you 5 mph on a mile run.

This is not to stir the debate as I think that everyone has made great points and both are great systems, it is just a question I have as my tech knowledge is very poor. I mostly just drive.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way :wink, what would the result be if a TT was run at 28-30psi both horsepower wise and to the engine?? Would it blow the engine??

Also say you are at 1,000hp and you move to 1,100, what is the theoretical difference in what you would be able to run MPH wise??

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
F#@% !!! I'd be at the Texas mile for sure if I could. I'd really like to see the difference between the two set ups. I've had a lawyer working in my mistaken identity situation but I don't think it will be cleared on time to make this event. when is the next one be it Miami or where ever you guy's might be?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I've had a lawyer working in my mistaken identity situation

When you are done, maybe your lawyer can help me... I am the real Ray Hoffman and there's some other dude out there living my life!!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Jason might be a little pessimistic - a spreadsheet I wrote for GT speeds at the Mile shows 1000hp will get you to 222mph, and 1100 will get you to 229 so that's another 7mph. Of course if you can pump out 2500hp you'll hit 300!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

Actually Torrie you forgot another component................... ME, I will be bringing my own atmosphere If I can make it, but there will be something very different this time:secret::devil

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Actually Torrie you forgot another component................... ME, I will be bringing my own atmosphere If I can make it, but there will be something very different this time:secret::devil

Well hello Nathanial Hornblower !

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Well hello Nathanial Hornblower !

lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
:biggrin Oh you'll know all about it soon, you will be tunning it when you get here, the car is set up and ready for ya :)

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
:biggrin Oh you'll know all about it soon, you will be tunning it when you get here, the car is set up and ready for ya :)

Perfect !