twin turbo help

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I think John is acknowledging the fact that a TT only car will make more RWHP than a TT + SC car at the same boost pressures. The rationale here is that the TT-only car doesn't need to exert any power to spin the blower.

I'd welcome the opportunity to Dyno a TT + SC car on the same day that we dyno a TT car. The differences at the top end are MUCH more than 30-40HP. Each time there is an event like the mile, all of us get more information. Look, for example at what Mullet will run (TT+SC) and look at Torrie's TT-only car. I think both cars are around 1100 RWHP. I think Mullet is at 29psi and Torrie in the 24psi range. Maybe they will let us know!
I'd agree with that. I made 1018 at 24psi. (using 63mm turbos vs 67)

In the end, it depends on the customer. If you're not racing and would rather have a more "enjoyable" (subjective) powerband, the TT/SC is certainly a good option.

I don't want to "give up" any horsepower so TT only was the only consideration from the beginning. It's not that difficult to down shift.

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Jason might be a little pessimistic - a spreadsheet I wrote for GT speeds at the Mile shows 1000hp will get you to 222mph, and 1100 will get you to 229 so that's another 7mph. Of course if you can pump out 2500hp you'll hit 300!

How much hp to go 240?

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Take all that info how you want but my car for the same dynoed power level seems to run a couple mph faster at the Texas mile compared to a similar power leveled TT only cars. Ask Kumar, Chip, DBK and Apollo (slipping clutch).
There are too many variables to make that linkage IMO. Weight, DA, driving ability, etc.

At the time, you were probably ~75lbs lighter than me, I had 20s on the front, and I cannot hit 3rd gear in the GT to save my life. Your run was also made around 9:30am as opposed to my 224.3 at around 2pm. I might have had a slightly more favorable wind, maybe. I'm not making excuses. You certainly deserve the stock motor record. :cheers I blew up trying to catch you :(

I think the great thing about your setup is that: same HP to HP, your car is faster but that's only important because we were all maxing out our stock fuel systems right above 1000hp. So if everyone is limited to that ballpark horsepower level, you will make more power under the curve and therefore, could be a little faster. But if we take that limitation out of the equation, I think a TT only setup will go faster at the same boost levels. Kudos to John and his team for doing it differently; pretty clever.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It's not that difficult to down shift.

I resemble this remark.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Damn, you guys got me excited. I wasn't going to make it but I'm gonna go check tomorrow to see if the car is almost ready.

I think I need new rotors too. I hate doing this stuff last second.

Mar 15, 2006
Sorry, I meant to say that the TT only will make 870-900 rw hp on 20 psi and 93 octane. It will make more peak power per pound of boost due to not having the parasitic drap of the blower.

John you posted this and I am confused?
Typo or something missing?

1. TT only will give you the greatest amount of power for a specific amount of boost. At 20 psi our TT / SC system on 93 octane makes about 840-860 rear wheel hp. At the same 20 psi boost we see around 870-900 rear wheel hp.Ps. My TT piggy bank isn't full up yet but getting close.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
How much hp to go 240?

1300hp should get you to 242. 1450 will take you just past 250mph

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
1300hp should get you to 242. 1450 will take you just past 250mph

I better get some of them fancy carbon ceramics.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
There are too many variables to make that linkage IMO. Weight, DA, driving ability, etc.

At the time, you were probably ~75lbs lighter than me, I had 20s on the front, and I cannot hit 3rd gear in the GT to save my life. Your run was also made around 9:30am as opposed to my 224.3 at around 2pm. I might have had a slightly more favorable wind, maybe. I'm not making excuses. You certainly deserve the stock motor record. :cheers I blew up trying to catch you :(
I think the great thing about your setup is that: same HP to HP, your car is faster but that's only important because we were all maxing out our stock fuel systems right above 1000hp. So if everyone is limited to that ballpark horsepower level, you will make more power under the curve and therefore, could be a little faster. But if we take that limitation out of the equation, I think a TT only setup will go faster at the same boost levels. Kudos to John and his team for doing it differently; pretty clever.

thats ok He blew up too!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I say we settle this once and for all, we(mullet, kumar, me, torrie?) all line up one after another, so that there is no argument over time, weather, etc.....
Ill try and be there on sunday, so save your best run for that day:)

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I say we settle this once and for all, we(mullet, kumar, me, torrie?) all line up one after another, so that there is no argument over time, weather, etc.....
Ill try and be there on sunday, so save your best run for that day:)

I'm not arguing about over time and weather, you are. Lol

Run at the Mile in 60 degree weather with a slight crosswind and that will be the conditions that I ran my 226.2 in.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I'm not arguing about over time and weather, you are. Lol

Run at the Mile in 60 degree weather with a slight crosswind and that will be the conditions that I ran my 226.2 in.

no arguments just a fact :) different weather conditions will have huge effects on results, you out of all people should know that! Mr I picked up 10 mph from one day to the next LOL

its just like dynoing your car on a dyno somewhere and saying it makes 1500 hp, on its own it really doesnt mean anything unless you have something to compare it too! different dyno's different conditions will make for different results!

just busting your b*lls a little :) Ill be there to do it in person come next week , hey can I borrow your R6's? :)

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Thanks for clearing that up.:thumbsup

Now what is a parasitic drap:biggrin

Also wondering if 2 Johns came together with Torrie Tunning would it be a Twin Johns or T-JJOK just having way to much fun sitting here looking out the window in a snow storm on March 22... freakin robin has been replaced by a penguin for the Michigan state bird:ack

Sorry, I meant to say that the TT only will make 870-900 rw hp on 20 psi and 93 octane. It will make more peak power per pound of boost due to not having the parasitic drap of the blower.