Turbo v/s Supercharged?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Fubar's origional question IMPLIED he was referring to either upgrading to a bigger blower or a turbo setup. No mention was made about the pros & con's of either of those vs. a pulley & tune. I therefore assumed he just ment swapping for a different (bigger) blower vs. swapping for a turbo setup. My coments were made in that context. And I/we weren't TALKING about hooking all the power to the ground (dat's a w-h-o-l-e nuthur subject). I was talking about where the power is developed.

As far as the "tires" issue, does anyone run stockers with EITHER setup???:eek

Personally, I left mine stove top stock. So, that tells you where my own personal mindset is/was.

Larry - your's was known as BNOB (Brand New in Box) :rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, 'too true ... 'too true...:frown

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
On a straight line race you want the turbo.

On a road course it depends on how fast it is. Since the stock gearing of the GT is quite tall you'll find yourself coming out of some turns at 2.5-3k.

Here a less powerful SC car but with say 550 lb/ft of torque available at 3k might win against a TT that has only 400 lb/ft at 3k (please correct my numbers as I have no idea of a TT torque curve).

Also the turbo lag might seem negligible on a straight line, less so when you need to rotate the car in the middle of a turn.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Or, NOS (New old stock)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK, I spit Coke up through my nose and all over my screen. You're definetly on a roll.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
splitting hairs .... its all about power on the ground either way. Until you can anchor the car to the deck and push forward ... its all tire smoke and wheel spin.

Now in a roll on .... wellllll..... it remains a HP issue.

As a good friend of mine once said "superchargers make for an efficient setup ... or can be for driving." Turbos make power but it does have a lag.

Either way ... to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson "If you screw up here ... then you go flying through the Pearly Gates .... ON FIRE!"

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Ha :lol

Yeah if I threw in the small point that my car is back to TT only I wonder what the thoughts on that would be :willy

Torrie, what made you pull the SC???

We tried both as well but switched. Just wondered what your take was.

As far as blowing the tires of in lower gears... PENSKES :banana

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Torrie, what made you pull the SC???

We tried both as well but switched. Just wondered what your take was.

As far as blowing the tires of in lower gears... PENSKES :banana

Honestly the car setup with the twins only is way better no matter how you slice it. That is obviously my personal take on it. I can go back to TTSC whenever I feel the need and switch back and forth if I want the low end grunt back. But as I am sure you know configured this way once the needle swings past 4 grand the hit that follows feels so damn good its irreplaceable.

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
Why do you need more than 700 to 800 HP unless you are going to the track or looking for bragging rights. I have had both and they both have their pro's and con's. I am concerned about the second gen whipple at high HP for heating issues. I personally pick the SC for the street and the Turbo for the desert.

Off the subject I have an 1100 HP ( yes for bragging right) Sand Rail and have a Whipple SC on it and have had nothing but heating issues. Running 20lbs of boost.

H

HHGT

Why do you need more than 700 to 800 HP unless you are going to the track or looking for bragging rights. I have had both and they both have their pro's and con's. I am concerned about the second gen whipple at high HP for heating issues. I personally pick the SC for the street and the Turbo for the desert.

Off the subject I have an 1100 HP ( yes for bragging right) Sand Rail and have a Whipple SC on it and have had nothing but heating issues. Running 20lbs of boost.

Jeff, you need to loan me that bad boy for a couple of days. I have a trip planned to Little Baghdad in Yuma (US Army Post) and there is some Sand Dunes along the 8 freeway that could use thrashing. What say you?

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
Sam, I know you to well, one drive in my rail and you would have to own one...hey maybe a good idea, you would love it. You and the family will have to come with us some time it is a blast.....and no cops

Toolman

Mar 30, 2008
Yeah, but the point is why would you even want a Whipple if your car only sees between 2000-4500 rpm? You said it's the only way to go. The only way to go if you only see 2000-4500 rpm is straight to the dealer to buy a Taurus. :lol

Hey now, no need to get personal! :biggrin My dd Taurus is faster than a stock GT in the standing mile. My race Taurus (yes, oxymoronic I know), well, its a bit faster. Turbo gets my vote!

And with the current crop of BB turbos, especially ones sized right for the car, with proper tuning and boost management, lag and overly peaky curves is a thing of the past. Especially with the displacement of a GT. Now, a 3.0 Supra making over 900whp, you have not choice but to use a large frame turbo that will be useless below 4500rpm, but for a 900whp GT, it is a different story.

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I'm all for both setups depending on your goal, but I think the turbo lag thing is overblown, and in any kind of realistic straight line race, you can hold the dyno sheet in the window as I go flying past yelling "but look at the size of this CUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurveeee" :lol

best line I have read in a LONG time. love it. :rofl

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Our esteemed Forum owner does indeed have a priceless wit about him :lol:lol:lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
best line I have read in a LONG time. love it. :rofl

:wink:biggrin