transaxle output shaftbolt recall

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello

I have low mileage 05 car that the original owner did not replace the transaxle output shaft bolts on the 2007 recall, they fracture when accelerating from a stop, he put 250 miles on since then. I do not plan to do any burn outs or drop clutch at all, this is a 100% stock car.

Do you gentlemen feel this is an issue?

Thank you
Steve
Toronto

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Steve, IMO this is a must fix. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when the bolts give way. Most reported driving the car in a very normal street use way and after coming to a complete stop and letting the clutch out "nothing", car doesn't move. It's not a hard or expensive fix but could lead to being stranded on the road side or leaving the car in an "uncomfortable" spot. A forum member and friend never replaced his and one day they broke under normal driving conditions as well. The car was towed to a dealer, the dealer put a small dent into the fender while replacing the bolts and shipped it to a body repair shop. The repair shop took it for a joy ride and totaled the car. 4 months later and countless hours of arguing with the repair shops ins. co. he settled for 20 thousand less than he felt the car was worth. Obviously this is a very extreme case of what can happen but why even start down that path when the fix is so easy and cheep.
Take Care, Steve

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Steve, the bolt problem was NEVER a recall. It is a prudent preventative maintenance task that should be performed on all GTs regardless of year or VIN. it doesn't necessarily relate to burnouts or straight-line acceleration. Have fun and enjoy the car and within the coming months try to have the update done and you will be fine.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1000000 must be done, unless you want a ramp truck ride some day. It is a simple fix that will not be expensive, as stated above. PAGES AND PAGES of discussions to go through, should you want to learn more than you want to know. If it matters, mine was on the 3rd of July, HOT, and I had my then 2 year old in the car.... Timing is everything, as Nike says, just do it....

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
+1000000 must be done, unless you want a ramp truck ride some day. It is a simple fix that will not be expensive, as stated above. PAGES AND PAGES of discussions to go through, should you want to learn more than you want to know. If it matters, mine was on the 3rd of July, HOT, and I had my then 2 year old in the car.... Timing is everything, as Nike says, just do it....

What he said!:thumbsup

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
i agree 100% with those who recommend that the bolts get replaced. i drove my GT very little after buying it until i replaced the bolts.

i disagree with my brothers who characterize that the job as "easy". true, it is just replacing 2 inner shaft and 6 outer shaft bolts on each side.

but completing the job takes patience, the right tools (torque wrenches of varying lengths, long extensions, a small 12 point socket, the right jack, etc.) a service manual, and carefully following instructions on torqueing all bolts.

i did all the work myself and it was an all day job. but it was worth the effort because i know it was done right, and it helped me get to know my GT better than if i had taken it to a shop.

anytime i wrench on this car, i always remind myself that i am working on a $175,000+ vehicle, and my work needs to be my BEST work.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Do you gentlemen feel this is an issue?

The failure of the origional bolts, in effect, is/was due to the alloy they're made of 'eating' itself over time. It's a question of 'when' the bolts will fail, not 'if'. So, for that reason, yes, it is an issue.

Either the Accufab, or the latest Ford bolt kit will solve the problem permanently. :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Another vote here too!

You don't need to drop the clutch or race the GT for the bolts to fail - a friend of mine had his fail in the middle of France in the middle of nowhere, a complete nightmare! It's not a big job for a GT tech who's done it before, I wouldn't want to attempt it myself as I never approach my car with a spanner in my hand. Ever! :)

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Excellent information I will be replacing the bolts, thank you ALL for the feedback

Steve
Toronto

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Steve, the bolt problem was NEVER a recall. It is a prudent preventative maintenance task that should be performed on all GTs regardless of year or VIN. it doesn't necessarily relate to burnouts or straight-line acceleration. Have fun and enjoy the car and within the coming months try to have the update done and you will be fine.
mine was done under a recall, if we are talking the same thing (output flange bolt and washer replacement)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
mine was done under a recall, if we are talking the same thing (output flange bolt and washer replacement)

Terminology is important here. There was NEVER A RECALL. There was a window of time including a letter sent to all owners where Ford volunteered to do the replacement free of charge. You were within this window as were many others. Yes, perhaps same difference to you, but Ford to NOT go through a formal RECALL process on this item.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Terminology is important here. There was NEVER A RECALL. There was a window of time including a letter sent to all owners where Ford volunteered to do the replacement free of charge. You were within this window as were many others. Yes, perhaps same difference to you, but Ford to NOT go through a formal RECALL process on this item.
that's good to know as i am not the original owner.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I can't remember when mine broke, but I think it was 8000 miles. On a super hot day. At a busy intersection. Wearing loafers and shorts. With a dead cell phone. Oh, and because I had no cell phone I walked back to the house to make a call while my car was on the side of the road, then rode my bike (as in pedal bike) back to the car to try and roll it back and forth to get it back to being drivable. Did that about 4 times to make it the mile back, and then when the GT Guys showed up to tow it to their place, I went back to get my bike and some jerk STOLE MY BIKE! It was so frustrating I can only laugh now.

In summary, get them replaced. :lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I can't remember when mine broke, but I think it was 8000 miles. On a super hot day. At a busy intersection. Wearing loafers and shorts. With a dead cell phone. Oh, and because I had no cell phone I walked back to the house to make a call while my car was on the side of the road, then rode my bike (as in pedal bike) back to the car to try and roll it back and forth to get it back to being drivable. Did that about 4 times to make it the mile back, and then when the GT Guys showed up to tow it to their place, I went back to get my bike and some jerk STOLE MY BIKE! It was so frustrating I can only laugh now.

In summary, get them replaced. :lol

got a picture of you on the bike? :)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
got a picture of you on the bike? :)

Let me guess, you've been a recipient of the infamous bike pic? :rolleyes :lol

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

Now that's a pic I want to see.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Now that's a pic I want to see.

attachment.php

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

not at all, I was just shooting in the dark, but do tell please! rather show! you know its just a matter of time before it surfaces anyway:rofl

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Attachments

• DBK bike.jpg
    DBK bike.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:

Mullet