Tires!!

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I looked in to this a little over a week ago when I heard the Bridgestone rears might be going away.

Talked to 3 different tire reps I deal with. All 3 gave me the same answer. THEY said that it shows to be discontinued.

I immediately ordered and recieved 2. I was to told at the time, that there were currently 3 more in a warehouse in Hawaii.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Kendall or anyone else with direct experience: If Bridgestone discontinues our rear tires, I would consider running a different set of 19” tires, raise the rear shocks 3/4” or so, and just accept that my speedometer will be off somewhat; because I want to continue to use my base style wheels. Do you know whether a shorter tire affects the antilock brakes? Does it display an ABS error?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I guess we could switch to this $6k 20/21 set modelled after the Upgrade wheels, assuming there are tires that will work reasonably ... not that I like these larger diameters compared to the OEM sizes which look just right to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275204308052

s-l1600.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Fully agree. With all of the great connections that people here may have, I'm wondering if someone can get a more accurate picture of what Bridgestone's intentions are moving forward. I think the Ford GT and the Ferrari Enzo might very well be the only two cars using this tire. But this has been the case for at least the last 10 years so I wonder why the change in availability. My assumption is that this (rear) tire has been in relatively low production tire for some time - but has the demand recently fallen below some minimum threshold?

I would have guessed that with the discontinuation of the Goodyear tires, Bridgestone may have seen an uptick in sales.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall or anyone else with direct experience: If Bridgestone discontinues our rear tires, I would consider running a different set of 19” tires, raise the rear shocks 3/4” or so, and just accept that my speedometer will be off somewhat; because I want to continue to use my base style wheels. Do you know whether a shorter tire affects the antilock brakes? Does it display an ABS error?

The Goodyear OEM 315/40-19 tire is 28.92" in diameter.
The Bridgestone 345/35-19 tire is 28.51" in diameter.

If the Bridgestone Scuderia goes away, and you want to keep your OEM rear rims, I suppose the best/closest option would be a

305/35-19 which is 27.41" in diameter. 1.5" smaller (yuk!) in overall diameter AND 10mm narrower (yuk!) than OEM. Both Michelin and Pirelli have tires in this size.

There are 3 issues with the smaller diameter tires;

1) Wheel well gap - which is borderline too much with OEM tires - is going to get very noticeably worse.
2) You are going to lose another .75" of ground clearance
3) Speedo will be noticeably off (but which may be correctable)

If we play with suspension (perch height), the ground clearance can be solved but this would worsen the wheel well gap making the car just look silly, IMHO. (Fully 1.5" MORE wheel well gap. Barf!!)

As to the ABS, I don't *think* it will necessarily care about the diameter of the rear tires... AS LONG AS you keep the ratio between front tire diameter and rear tire diameter close to stock. In short, you will also have to select tires that are smaller in diameter for the front of the car as well.

Give me a day or so and I will post a couple of tire brand/model/sizes that would work.... although I really think going to a 20" wheel in the back - though expensive, may be the lesser of the evils. (Obviously it would necessitate the purchase of 4 wheels.)

Reactions: Fast Freddy

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I don't understand why you are so emotional. I'm just stating the facts. It is NOT "bloody helpful" to anyone when you say, "talk to Bill because he has a FEW options with the correct OD." Then I am the bad guy when I tell you that he's either wrong or you are misquoting him? Nothing close exists. PERIOD.

Lets all hope that Bridgestone continues to make these Scuderias - otherwise for those owners that are choosing to drive the car, the choice will be to stay with the 19" OEM rear wheel with a much (1.25") shorter tire or pop for new rims and opt for a 20" rear where there are a couple of tire sizes which may work.
One more time
Ya whatever
Nota4re
Do me a favor I’ll pretend you don’t exist. If you pretend I don’t!
Sounds like a good deal for both of us..
I find you condescending and arrogant
Have a nice day

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any chance a letter writing campaign (or the modern equivalent like twitter) might convince Bridgestone to continue the tire?

Obviously it would have to be cleverly crafted to avoid coming across as a bunch of privileged crybabies wanting tires for their toys.

I don’t have a twitter account, but i would get one if we organized a group effort. I know large corporations have been known to respond to twitter posts.

AtlasGT

Sep 24, 2021
I guess we could switch to this $6k 20/21 set modelled after the Upgrade wheels, assuming there are tires that will work reasonably ... not that I like these larger diameters compared to the OEM sizes which look just right to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275204308052

s-l1600.jpg

Do these wheels come in a grey version? I only see black. I just recently picked up my first GT and it still has the original tires. I was just about to do tires! I like the look of the bbs wheels. I don’t really want to spend 15k on new wheels.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
This is nuts. I plan on calling some manufacturers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Croaker and Hoosier on Monday and Tuesday. I’m an optimist and don’t like getting no’s for an answer. Even perhaps a plan for making our own with our specs with a willing company… Either way I’ll return my findings..

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This is nuts. I plan on calling some manufacturers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Croaker and Hoosier on Monday and Tuesday. I’m an optimist and don’t like getting no’s for an answer. Even perhaps a plan for making our own with our specs with a willing company… Either way I’ll return my findings..

Avon too?

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Wow, you don’t look at a thread for a while and a dumpster fire starts! Surprised that people are struggling to find tyres, or that they think Bridgestone will discontinue them; I bought a pair less than one month ago with no problem, they were date-marked 37/21, so as of a few months ago, Bridgestone were still spitting them out. And remember, they fit not just FGTs, so why stop production?

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Any chance a letter writing campaign (or the modern equivalent like twitter) might convince Bridgestone to continue the tire?

Obviously it would have to be cleverly crafted to avoid coming across as a bunch of privileged crybabies wanting tires for their toys.

I don’t have a twitter account, but i would get one if we organized a group effort. I know large corporations have been known to respond to twitter posts.
I wouldn't sweat it, at least not too, too much! We looked at buying Coker a few years ago. They make Bridgestone Radial T/As and Firestone Wide Ovals. They even make tires for Model A Fords, and that can't be high volume!

If they can get the rights (and/or the molds) for the tires, I'm pretty sure they'd make them. They might even be able to do the Goodyears...and hopefully with a better compound! Until then, it's Bridgestones for me!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The Size availability of the Coker reproduction tires is very limited.

Even if they made the correct size,I am not sure I would trust a Coker repop tire at high triple digit speeds.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Since Bridgestone apparently had a recent production run which has already sold out, there must be at least some level of demand for these tires.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Tire height is the critical issue here. The only tire i can find beyond the bridgestones is this 20 inch michellin tire. If the bridgestones will no longer be made then i will have to buy a 20 inch wheel to fit this tire. This tire will pass tech for all racing organizations too.

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2 R - 315/35ZR20/XL (110Y) XL K1 BSW
MSPN
Mileage Warranty
Standard
Section Width on Measuring Rim Width
12.60" on 11.00"
Overall Diameter
Max Load, Single (LB @ PSI)
2337 @ 50
Revs/MI
Tire Weight
Rim Width Range (Min/Max)
10.50-12.50
Tread Depth (in 32nds)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
We will need to have these iconisus forged wheels made for us in a 20 inch rear and 19 inch front with a oem silver finish. Unfortunately i can't find a link to this wheel manufacturer's website? If anybody can find it please give us the link.

1649072907670.png

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I just got on the waiting list with Bill at Radial tire. Thanks for the lead fellas (y)

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I talked to a Tire Rack representative today.

He said nobody there had heard a word about the tires being discontinued. He looked it up where discontinued tires are shown and no mention of that happening.

I understand that can't hold too much water, but it gave me a sliver of hope.

Reactions: dshears

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Coming soon on BaT, GT tires.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL