Tires!!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
As someone who needs tires, my soon to be delivered car has the original date-coded tires, what can I do till I get a set on order? Buy new rims? Use a different size?

Sounds like the Bridgestone fronts are available now, and if so I'd at least get the fronts installed and drive it with the mismatched set, gently.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You don't want to do that cause the Porsche N-1 s are wider.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
You don't want to do that cause the Porsche N-1 s are wider.

Is that a reply to me?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't understand that either. Yeah, they are wider, but they are still much narrower than the Goodyear rears.

PA32Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2022
Glendora, CA
1. Order new set.
2. Drive what you have, carefully. Say, like you’re driving it on snow!
3. When new set arrives, go to local track or big parking lot where the “tuners” hang out, and burn them down to the cords!
4. Get video.
5. Post video here
6. Replace tires.
7. Go back to step 1.

My daughter and I have a thing we do when a new car arrives, we play 'will it spin'. We go to a local parking lot and do donuts

Reactions: extrap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The GT has built in oversteer. The Goodyears are hockey pucks, plus they are old. The back end will come around even easier. If you have not spun your car, go to the track and let off the gas pedal going into a turn. You can't overcome physics. The slightly wider, stickier Bridgestones up front should only enhance the back end breaking away.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The GT has built in oversteer. The Goodyears are hockey pucks, plus they are old. The back end will come around even easier. If you have not spun your car, go to the track and let off the gas pedal going into a turn. You can't overcome physics. The slightly wider, stickier Bridgestones up front should only enhance the back end breaking away.

i rotated my car a few times on track back in the day. It would happen fairly quickly. Fortunately, just mowed grass and never hit anything. Remember the guy at TMS (college station Tx) who spun into a mud bog and swamp 😳

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Lost count of how often I’ve spun mine at the track, which is partly why I don’t track it anymore. Hero to zero in the blink of an eye, especially after Rich modded it to 682 rwhp. I found you can catch the snap oversteer about one in ten times, otherwise, both feet in and enjoy the ride

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Lost count of how often I’ve spun mine at the track, which is partly why I don’t track it anymore. Hero to zero in the blink of an eye, especially after Rich modded it to 682 rwhp. I found you can catch the snap oversteer about one in ten times, otherwise, both feet in and enjoy the ride

Which tires were you spinning on?

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

Yes, which tires?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Rocketman gave me a ride around the entire track at Miller during Rally #6 on Hoosiers and there was no way to spin around on those bubble gum tires. It stuck like glue when and wherever he put it and
he was pouring the coal to it

Last edited:
Reactions: roketman

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I got a ride with McGowan in Utah on old Goodyear's and he didn't spin either.........

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Regarding Mark and Ron, that's the driver, not the tires.

Mark will always walk around a car before taking someone out.
Never cares about the upgrades or power, just the tires.
Loved my ride with him!

I have tracked mine for years, and still spun it around enough to make by butt pucker my last track outing.

The car requires respect and with that you can do all kinds of things, but stuff can still happen...……..

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Regarding Mark and Ron, that's the driver, not the tires.

Mark will always walk around a car before taking someone out.
Never cares about the upgrades or power, just the tires.
Loved my ride with him!

I have tracked mine for years, and still spun it around enough to make by butt pucker my last track outing.

The car requires respect and with that you can do all kinds of things, but stuff can still happen...……..

Well said.
It can happen to even the most capable of drivers at an instant.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Of course there are drivers that are better than most, but I have to believe the Hoosier slicks have to help when compared to street tires when it comes to adhesion.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
2112: Hoosiers do have more traction when up to temperature, but they also break away faster. That's one of the tradeoffs for stickier track tires.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
2112: Hoosiers do have more traction when up to temperature, but they also break away faster. That's one of the tradeoffs for stickier track tires.

I remember you describing that at our track day.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I had issues with both Eagles and Potenzas (especially Eagles) i sure wish you could get PSC2s in the correct sizes - loved them on my new GT and loving them on my GT 500 (although they only lasted 6000 on the NGT and 10000 on the Shelby)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have been on track with all 3 tires, never spun. Hosiers by far were the most fun.

Also, if anyone is curious, the N-1 designation is bridgestone speak for an asymmetrical sidewall stiffness. When on a Porsche 911 they are the rear tires, and the inner sidewall is stiffer. The camber they run, with the weight of the engine in the back, it makes sense. Back a long time ago, talked with Scott Ahlman about this, and he liked the idea of the stiffer sidewall to assist with turn in.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
There should be absolutely no issue running different brand tires front to rear as long as you are aware handling at the limit will change.