Tires

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^^ +1 ...and, they still offer the N0 at the same price as the N1. Which is preferred and why?

According to Tire Rack, "The N-0 marking is assigned to the first (Porsche) approved version of a tire design. As that design is refined externally or internally, the later significant evolutions will result in a new generation of the tire to be branded with N-1, N-2, N-3, etc., in succession. When a completely new tire design is approved, it receives the N-0 branding and the succession begins again."

The Germans are a curious breed, they love specificity and their lawyers enjoy it even more. The N designation is purely a Porsche deal and nearly meaningless to any of usunless you own a Porsche and want to make a warranty claim for a drive train issue, before you take the car in you would want to have the tire recommended in the car's manual. It simply allows Porsche to assign a specific tire to a car for liability and warranty matters. Logic would presume that progression in the series means better and better tires, but not necessarily, the changes can be slight, anything from small compound or ply changes or maybe just the size of the font on the sidewall - something or nothing.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks very much Andy for doing the research for all of us.
Uh, and also thanks Frank!!
I'll go to tirerack

jtjim-

Thanks very much for the lengthy write up on your warranty experience with Tire Rack. Perhaps I was a bit hasty at saying I would go there for my next set of FGT tires.

As others have posted, I too have used Discount Tire for my daily driver auto tires. They are a short distance drive away, appear to have a fairly large national footprint and have always given me very good service both on buying new tires and claims when they arose. I do purchase the individual tire insurance which is basically an all perils except wearout. I experienced a sidewall puncture on one expensive tire and it was replaced without any question or hassle.

Perhaps I will quote out Tire Racks price and let Discount Tire see how close they can get knowing I get service after the sale, mounting/balancing included and free future rotations if I choose to execute.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with our Forum members!

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Again the Porsche spec according to Bridgestone, is a stiffer inner sidewall, which makes sense with negative camber and the extra weight in the rear because of the engine. Tread and compound are the same across the entire RE050A family supposedly.

I ordered the tires from a local shop (large local chain), as this time I didn't want the extra handling. Turns out they are getting them from Tire Rack, and they guaranteed a recent date code. Im paying a few bucks extra because the local shop could not eat the sales tax.

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
I just purchased a set from tire rack. Date code was recent...only six months old. Very happy with tires and transaction. Bridgestones are the way to go. Make sure to find a good shop to mount them. Higher end shops have the equipment that never touches the rim....that is what you want. To refinish a wheel is 300 bucks!

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
My pleasure, Indy. I will be interested in how you do getting Discount to match the price. If you're successful, I may try using them with the next set I purchase.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The local Discount Tire Store has a policy to match any Tire Rack pricing. They usually just swap me the sales tax that I don't pay from Tire Rack for the shipping I do pay from Tire Rack. Then they keep them balance and rotated for the life of the tire.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Another tire thread? Lot's of detailed, exhaustive threads on tires for the GT on this forum. Just do a search. If you don't believe me ask Dr Frank!

Ed

PS Get the Hoosiers & you will be happy.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Love to Ed, but it rains here in the Midwest...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I envy the western states people who have a Les Schwab store in their area. IMO they set the standard for quality service.

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
I have the Scuderia tires, they hook great, street and track.... ran a 10.6 with them at the drag strip...

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I finally had mine installed today. Love em so far!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sorry to hear of your poor experiences from Tire Rack. I've been buying about 150 tires a year fronm them for the past couple of years - perhaps half or more for the GT. I've always had very fresh tires and never had a single problem.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I assume the minor difference in the smaller overall diameter of the Bridgestones rears (.5") is not aesthetically noticeable?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Naw, just pump extra air into them and they look the same size.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I assume the minor difference in the smaller overall diameter of the Bridgestones rears (.5") is not aesthetically noticeable?

I'm pro Bstone, but the shorter sidewall is noticeable.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
guys which of all those bridgestone fronts are best for the high speed events? I had issue at GT speed event because my bstone fronts turned out to only be 186mph tires vs the higher mph, despite being the size and model specified here on the forum. i'm going to mojave magnum and don't want any hassles there

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
guys which of all those bridgestone fronts are best for the high speed events? I had issue at GT speed event because my bstone fronts turned out to only be 186mph tires vs the higher mph, despite being the size and model specified here on the forum. i'm going to mojave magnum and don't want any hassles there
You need the (Y) speed rating on the sidewall, not Y without the ().

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
(101y)

peiserg-

You must have been mistaken as to the "Forum recommended" Bridgestone front tire for our FGT's. You have to be careful. There are 5 different 265/40ZR18 Bridestone offerings to select from. Two carry a 101Y speed rating (up to 186 mph), one with a 97Y rating (up to 186 mph) and two carrying a (101Y) rating.

As ICE correctly points out you want the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A "N1" version which carries the (101Y) with parenthesis indicating the tire has a speed capability greater than 186 mph. The devil is in the details.....