Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I would try a set.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I will run the Pirelli Corsa 345/35/19 in the rear and 265/40/18 in the front.
The fronts size is very new in production and here (Germany) not listed yet.
The circumfence of each size is very close to the stock sizes.
front: + 0,08 %
rear: - 1,5 %
unfortunaly I have no chance to test them at least the next 2 month because
of the nice weather in Germany.:frown

Welcome to the forum, where are you located.:thumbsup

GTforever

Dec 7, 2007
Germany
Welcome to the forum, where are you located.:thumbsup

Thank You for welcome Bony( I love Your avatars!).:thumbsup
I live near Würzburg (Frankonia)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Corsa's are great tires, I'm running PS2's... very pleased with them as well.

Wurzburg? Have consumed many fine wines in bocksbutels (sp?)... beautiful area.

One of the things I have yet to do on my list is the ESSEN MOTOR SHOW...great forum event perhaps?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I am also starting to think about tires, but not so much from a track perspective but safety.

I think anything that would improve traction and keep me out of a "GT spin" is really something to look at. With the power (I am also upgraded), as long as there is traction, I am not too worried. But when you punch it in first and you can feel the back end want to come around, well I can see how some of the fellow owners have bounced off various objects (and have found any pole that is available).

So, I am listening.

Any idea of overall wear? Match the Goodyears at about 6K miles, or better or worse?

I would also be up for bigger 18s and 19s if they would still fit the stock rims and clearance.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You would think that Goodyear would be worried about liability. I mean there are many experienced drivers here that readily agree the Goodyear’s are not appropriate street tires in cool temperatures... yet Goodyear claims they are "supercar" street tires.

Givin that a lot of people consistently have problems at low speeds (modified or not)... well I would be worried about it.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I don't know... I drive the car here in the UK every day.

Temperatures are right now below 40F (in the morning it's 2-3 below 0 C, or 28-30F) and the weather generally sucks....

I have to say that when I am not a hooligan then the Goodyear have given me no trouble.

I think it is unrealistic to think that you can stop on it in 1st or 2nd and expect no traction loss. There are more than 500lbs/ft of torque avaliable at 2k rpms...

I think we should be a little more careful with the throttle application.

I will welcome a tire with more grip (dry and wet) even if it comes at the expense of longevity.

Also I'd like a tire that gives you a little more warning at the limit (interesting comments by our German friend with the Corsa and the stiffer side) but I would not consider the Goodyear just crap...

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have to say that when I am not a hooligan then the Goodyear have given me no trouble.

I will welcome a tire with more grip (dry and wet) even if it comes at the expense of longevity.

Yep - I second those statements. :thumbsup

:cheers

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The Dunlop's wear very well. The goodyears are a tire that can stand up to speeds in excess of 200 MPH. I think that's what Goodyear means by a "supercar" tire. In Steve's own words. The Goodyear tires are too hard. They don't offer enough traction and don't even think about driving hard until the tires are very warm. We actually went to Goodyear when we first started talking about getting different compound tires made for the car. At first they were interested but then they came back with "Goodyear's company policy is to retain the compound of their production tires." Basically once they make a tire, they are not interested in making the same size/tread design tire in a different compound. So we went to Dunlop next to see what we could do and they seem to be very interested.

Maybe I should post some pictures of some of the tires that we brought back from New Zealand after the Targa rally. This would show exactly how confident we are in the Dunlop tires.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know what you are saying but I have also heard many stories of people taking this car into an unintentional spin when the temperature dips. Everyone here knows these cars can spin the tires. Hell, we bought it because of its exceptional capabilities. However, the loss of traction at lower temperatures is, in my opinion, excessive. I am surprised you have never had any problem with it.

In Goodyear's defense, I know they would simply add that this is one of the few cars that has NO traction control. However, there are too many tire compounds that can easily deal with these conditions to say that Goodyear did a fine job of making a tire for this car.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Kyle, I'd be very interested in a set of the Dunlops.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Serious need for new tires!

I'm in for at least one set. But I'm down to the wear bars and need tires asap!

What's the time line? Six months? A year? Next month?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I would definitely be interested in a set. Any set of tires that can give you that much performance on the roads of New Zealand with the weather constantly changing is worth it in my book! Back in 2004, I biked from Nelson to Greymouth to Queenstown...took some horrendous rain and head winds but saw some gorgeous sites.
Look forward to seeing these tires!

Last edited:

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I will take a set. PD

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm definitely interested, and if they can make available an option for white lettering, I'm all over it!:thumbsup

I would love to have a set with white lettering (particularly a set of the Goodyears)

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Kyle,
If the Dunlops aren't even sold in America yet, how long would it take for them to get the DOT approval and then ramp up manufacturing to put the treadwear, temp, and traction ratings on the sidewall? So realistically are we talkinng about 3 to 6 months before we'll see these tires?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I will run the Pirelli Corsa 345/35/19 in the rear and 265/40/18 in the front.
The fronts size is very new in production and here (Germany) not listed yet.
The circumfence of each size is very close to the stock sizes.
front: + 0,08 %
rear: - 1,5 %
unfortunaly I have no chance to test them at least the next 2 month because
of the nice weather in Germany.:frown

Are these the Corsa (no circumferential grooves) or the Corsa System tires? And the 265-345 are the perfect sizes for the car. I had a set of the Corsa's for a car a few years back and they stuck like glue with progressive breakaways but then sizes becamse very limited so I ended up having to go with the Corsa System and they didn't stick as good as the contact patch is smaller. Now only if the Dunlops are available in these sizes... Kyle???

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The Dunlop's wear very well. The goodyears are a tire that can stand up to speeds in excess of 200 MPH. I think that's what Goodyear means by a "supercar" tire. In Steve's own words. The Goodyear tires are too hard. They don't offer enough traction and don't even think about driving hard until the tires are very warm. We actually went to Goodyear when we first started talking about getting different compound tires made for the car. At first they were interested but then they came back with "Goodyear's company policy is to retain the compound of their production tires." Basically once they make a tire, they are not interested in making the same size/tread design tire in a different compound. So we went to Dunlop next to see what we could do and they seem to be very interested.

Maybe I should post some pictures of some of the tires that we brought back from New Zealand after the Targa rally. This would show exactly how confident we are in the Dunlop tires.

Photos Please !!!

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
SCT Unit and Tire Size

The car has a custom SCT dyno tune by Jerry Wroblewski and I'm waiting until the next time he is in Atlanta. :thumbsup

If you have the SCT Unit (with the stock tune unloaded and the new tune in it), you can just plug the SCT unit into the diagnostic plug under the left side of the dash and adjust the tire size revs/mile yourself without disturbing the new tune. The correct tire size simply becomes part of the new tune when you apply it. Nothing else will change...