Tire possibilities

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
We are still working hard on Dunlop to get us the necessary information about these tires.

I am very sorry that I have not been able to supply more information but Dunlop has been very slow with their quoting process.

I am interested to see some more news about the Kumho's as well.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I just looked at a Gt sitting on a dealers lot. It had Bridgestone on it.
The rears were the Potenza Re 050A Scuderia 345/35/19 on stock wheels these are real close to the stock overall diameter.
The fronts were an exact match 235/45/18. They were Re 050A's as well but I didn't see the Scuderia name on them bit it was dark. They looked nice and felt grippy ..

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Is it possible to post pictures of the PS2's on your ride. I think there is already to much space between the Good Years and the wheel well (visually), having a 1" smaller tire would exaggerate this condition. Lowering the suspension could help this problem, however ground clearance may be to low to drive (1" shorter tire combined with 1" lowered spring setting=2")

Email sent.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Kyle,
Jim Glikenhaus was at a local car event recently. (big time car collector) He has a 1967 GT 40 mark 4 raced by Donahue and McCleran. Someone asked him about the vintage Goodyear tires. He said they are new rubber compounds cast in the old molds. He Said Goodyear will do this.
I know someone posted that Goodyear wouldn't make the original GT tires out of a different compound. Maybe if they were asked on a larger group buy scale with some guaranteed orders they might view it differently? Maybe the right person wasn't asked at the beginning.. ?
That is very interesting. We tried Goodyear in the very beginning thinking that it would be easiest to simply have them make the tire with a different compound. The people we talked to seemed very interested but then they called us back and said their company policy prohibited them from doing this. Supposedly their policy is to keep a certain compound once that compound has been chosen.

I will try contacting them again as this would be an easier source than any other company. No new molds would be necessary. Seems to me like it would be the best way to go.

Thanks for the information:thumbsup

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Tires for stock wheels

I am in for any of these newly suggested tire possibilities. Durability is NOT a concern for me, grip is. If Goodyear has the program to do something already in place, that seems like a quicker solution than going to other companies and trying to get them to respond. It seems to me that Hoosier, because of their size and heritage, may be the only other option to get some attention.

Any thought about having a wider front tire to help balance the car while still fitting on the stock wheel? Is it necessary? Those that have Hoosiers, do they get rid of the understeer????

Another Hoosier question, any thought about having the Hoosier's cut with a tread pattern to make them more compliant in the rain? I would think there are folks out there that cut tires for racing in the rain that could do this for us.

Jim

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
345's

BlackICE asks: Are there any clearance issues with a 345?

I'm running 345 Pirelli's in the rear with no clearance issues. Even if driven hard.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Is there any chance of going with a slightly larger tire and include Corvettes. This would help bring in a larger market and make production more desirable. I don't think a larger tire would hurt the GT either.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That is very interesting. We tried Goodyear in the very beginning thinking that it would be easiest to simply have them make the tire with a different compound. The people we talked to seemed very interested but then they called us back and said their company policy prohibited them from doing this. Supposedly their policy is to keep a certain compound once that compound has been chosen.

I will try contacting them again as this would be an easier source than any other company. No new molds would be necessary. Seems to me like it would be the best way to go.

Thanks for the information:thumbsup
Kyle,
Here are some photos of Jim's car. The Goodyear tires had logos on both sides back in the day. No "This side out " for these guys.. Jim has a website for his car collection. I don't know him but it probably has some contact info. He maybe a good source for a Goodyear contact ?? I'm going to try to find his website...Good luck and Thanks for your efforts..:thumbsup

Attachments

Last edited:

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm told Goodyear's proto tire shop will make any tire using available compounds, it's just that it's usually $600-700 a tire. The GT500KR they gave to Shelby on his birthday had the new ultra sticky compound and just used the sidewalls from the existing tires. It seems like this would be possible.

Investigating through the chain now. Would this suit your race car Kyle? A stock size GT tire using an R compound with the same tread pattern?

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Yes interested in a set of Dunlops

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I NEED a set of DUNLOP!! ASAP . What is the time line and cost? Need new rubber for the Spring.
If cannot supply in time, will have to go with hoosiers for a round.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm told Goodyear's proto tire shop will make any tire using available compounds, it's just that it's usually $600-700 a tire. The GT500KR they gave to Shelby on his birthday had the new ultra sticky compound and just used the sidewalls from the existing tires. It seems like this would be possible.

Investigating through the chain now. Would this suit your race car Kyle? A stock size GT tire using an R compound with the same tread pattern?
If we did a group buy with some decent quantities we could probably get the cost down ???

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If we did a group buy with some decent quantities we could probably get the cost down ???
That's what you would think. However, this may be one of those situations where they don't really care about volume discounts. I'd be willing to bet that they would sell several dozen sets to us right off the bat. I drive my car enough that it inevitably gets rained on, and I can't be out in the middle of nowhere on Hoosiers in a downpour.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Hoosier tires

For the folks who run the Hoosier tires at the track on BBS rims (18,19) do you run the stock front tires or change them to Hoosiers too? If so, which ones?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I'd take 2 sets of 4.
As a matter of fact, if I can't get good rubber for my stock rims soon ( unfortunately Hoosiers suck in the rain ), I'll be looking at getting new rims that will accommodate PS2's !!!

Kyle, any status please?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
For the folks who run the Hoosier tires at the track on BBS rims (18,19) do you run the stock front tires or change them to Hoosiers too? If so, which ones?
Hoosiers all they way around. Monumental grip.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
As a matter of fact, if I can't get good rubber for my stock rims soon ( unfortunately Hoosiers suck in the rain ), I'll be looking at getting new rims that will accommodate PS2's !!!

Kyle, any status please?
I came to the same conclusion. MIchilen PS2 335/30ZR20 diameter 28"

or Pirelli P Zero Rosso 315/35ZR20 diameter of 28.7"

The Mich are a little short the Pirelli are very close to stock.

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
need tires...now

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I'm also very interested but would like it even better if the fronts were wider to cut down some of the understeer. If I have to commit to two sets to help reach the mininum quantity, I'm also willing to do so.

GTforever

Dec 7, 2007
Germany
I will run the Pirelli Corsa 345/35/19 in the rear and 265/40/18 in the front.
The fronts size is very new in production and here (Germany) not listed yet.
The circumfence of each size is very close to the stock sizes.
front: + 0,08 %
rear: - 1,5 %
unfortunaly I have no chance to test them at least the next 2 month because
of the nice weather in Germany.:frown