Throwback to the SALEEN School of Speed Autocross Event during the GT Rally

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Fun times for sure. Super hot day back in August 2007. Maybe 20% of the Rally Attendees participated in a transponder timed auto-X event at El Toro. Both engine temps and asphalt temps alike were at high points.

Bone stock in "Syco GT" and did 7 exciting laps on the tightly coned course. Some of the other GT's were already sporting the larger Whipple Superchargers, Nitrogen Filled Tires, and Hoosier Slicks.

Good times for sure!

Drove home and the S7 was beside me. Ah the memories.GTsaleen.jpgGTsaleen1.jpgGTSaleen2.jpgGTsaleen3.jpgGTsaleen4.jpg

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
And the coned course.

GTSaleen5.jpg

Reactions: digman1 and Simon

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No Gennadi burn out?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
2006 my friend........
GTJOEY1314

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
2006 my friend........ GTJOEY1314

2006 was Detroit. This event in CA was 2007. I destroyed some of those orange cones with my front splitter that day!

Chip

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
No Gennadi burn out?
If you mean the GTX guy - yes. He borrowed Piana's GTX & drifted the rear tires down to the cords. I followed Piana back to the hotel & could see the cords flapping & pieces of rubber fly off even though he was going 45 mph on a SoCal freeway (where everyone else was going 85!). I have video of it I should post.

Ed

Reactions: GTMD

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I destroyed some of those orange cones with my front splitter that day!

Chip

If you're not hitting an occasional cone, you're not trying hard enough!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Oh thats right.......Once I saw the Saleen car thought it was rally 1 ...
More great times....

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes, exactly.

If you mean the GTX guy - yes. He borrowed Piana's GTX & drifted the rear tires down to the cords. I followed Piana back to the hotel & could see the cords flapping & pieces of rubber fly off even though he was going 45 mph on a SoCal freeway (where everyone else was going 85!). I have video of it I should post.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Can we rally again please?!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Ed Sims, that was the day I was convinced I would never get butterfly doors or a GTX-1, after that demo.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That was in a borrowed car? Wow. I was the owner, to say I would be pissed is an incredible understatement.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ed, was that shot on VHS, Beta, or 8mm (not a reference to quality, but how long ago that felt to see again)?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
That was in a borrowed car? Wow. I was the owner, to say I would be pissed is an incredible understatement.
According to what was sad that day this was done with owners OK. Car went directly from Rally II to Green Bay to be converted into a GTX!.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
According to what was sad that day this was done with owners OK. Car went directly from Rally II to Green Bay to be converted into a GTX!.

Okay, I guess to some owners it's just another consumable to be flogged.

I worked too hard for too long to do that. I make a distinction between driving hard and beating on it like a rental.

But that's just me. 🤔

Reactions: SYCO GT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
As a racer ,I just don’t get a thrill out of donuts and smoking the tires.

Reactions: 2112

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Okay, I guess to some owners it's just another consumable to be flogged.

I worked too hard for too long to do that. I make a distinction between driving hard and beating on it like a rental.

But that's just me. 🤔
The owner said oK as his car was going to be converted into a GTX1. And the factory wheels and tires were being replaced with the X! "special" wheels and tires. I, as you, hate seeing someone tear up a car like it was a rental. And I put drifting in that same category.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I, as you, hate seeing someone tear up a car like it was a rental. AND I PUT DRIFTING in that same category.

+1

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
As a racer, I just don’t get a thrill out of donuts and smoking the tires.

Gentlemen,

I'm not a racer but I really dislike burnouts or donuts to show off as well. Such abusive displays demonstrate no skill and are more embarrassing than impressive. Reminds me of Sadam Hussain emptying his handgun by firing it into the air in front of a crowd of people. I'm sure he thought it was impressive. To most onlookers it just looked stupid.

Chip