Throwback to the SALEEN School of Speed Autocross Event during the GT Rally

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
While maybe not in my wheel house of interest, as a racer, I ABSOLUTELY tip my cap to the skill of car control that is necessary to do it well.

Burn outs? Nope, not unless your in the wet box, and staging (but drag racing isnt much my thing either).

. And I put drifting in that same category.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You guys could just tag Piana and ask him how hard he worked and for what duration of time so you can determine if you'll sanction what he does with a car. Use the @ symbol before his username and just let him know you need to talk.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Gentlemen,

I'm not a racer but I really dislike burnouts or donuts to show off as well. Such abusive displays demonstrate no skill and are more embarrassing than impressive. Reminds me of Sadam Hussain emptying his handgun by firing it into the air in front of a crowd of people. I'm sure he thought it was impressive. To most onlookers it just looked stupid.

Chip
It's impressive when the bullets start raining back to earth and no random person is killed. That's impressive!

QSS

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It's impressive when the bullets start raining back to earth and no random person is killed. That's impressive!

QSS
Not so much. Terminal velocity on a falling non-stabilized bullet is probably around 70MPH. It would hurt, but it wouldn’t kill you.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Not so much. Terminal velocity on a falling non-stabilized bullet is probably around 70MPH. It would hurt, but it wouldn’t kill you.
I did not know that. I figured you were done if a falling bullet hit ya.

Anyway, back to Saleen school of autocross.

QSS

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Hmmm, 300-700ft/sec seems exceptionally high for a falling terminal velocity in air. I’ll have to look into it some more.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Interesting tangent.

🤔

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Gentlemen,

This is going way off this thread track but......Almost all bullets remain stabilized even if they are fired straight up. They will arch over and continue to fly point first. Even a short blunt bullet like that fired from a 9mm handgun will come back to earth at lethal velocity. Shannon's Law was passed here in AZ in 1999 after she was killed by a 9mm handgun bullet that was coming straight down. It took several minutes to figure out what the hell happened as the bullet went straight down into the top of her head and her hair covered the bullet hole.

Shannon Smith, who would have entered Xavier College Preparatory in the fall, spent June 14, 1999, at home. From noon to 9 p.m., Shannon talked off and on with her best friend, both on the phone and online. Between 9:15 and 9:30 p.m., Shannon was on the phone with another friend when she said she heard what sounded like a "car accident or something" out on Camelback Road. Shannon told her friend she was going to go out into her back yard to see if she could see anything. She put her friend on hold and never came back. The friend finally hung up around 10 p.m.

Shannon's father, Otis, had been watching television when he noticed the red light flashing on the family room phone around 10:35 p.m. He went to her room to tell her to hang up. He looked for Shannon inside the home before finding her outside, laying face up in the grass, with a portable phone about three feet from her body.

Otis tried to revive his daughter with CPR until firefighters arrived. Shannon's mother, Lory, rode in the ambulance with her to a nearby hospital.

The teen was pronounced dead less than an hour later.

"Oh my god, I can't believe she's dead," a distraught Lory Smith told Otis when he arrived at the hospital.

A single bullet had struck Shannon on the top of her head. Police believe it was fired straight up within a mile of Shannon's home. Several residents reported hearing gunfire the night Shannon was killed, but no suspects ever emerged.

A year after Shannon's death, in July 2000, the Legislature enacted Shannon's Law, a measure that makes firing a gun into the air a felony.

Investigator
Phoenix police Detective A.R. Scott.

New technology's role in this case
Police have the bullet that was removed from Shannon's brain during an autopsy. The markings on the bullet would be unique to the gun it was fired from, believed to be one of four models of 9mm semiautomatic handguns. Over the years, police have tested numerous guns that have come into their property room. But none has been linked to the bullet.

Reactions: Special K

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I stand corrected.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
drifting on pavement was cool for about 10 minutes when it became popular in the late 90s and just like every bad fad it should have gone away but no we made a whole other sport out of it..

let me see? whats the slowest way I can go around a corner while putting the maximum stress on my cars components and extra wear and tear? ah yes let me drift it...

as car enthusiasts we all like drifting in the true sense of the idea because it is in the end car control at its best. when you can bring the car back after its been in a slide where all control seems to have been lost, when done as a genuine practice(ie rally drivers) it show true talent and skill, but what has emerged as a sport(any drifting event for the sake of drifting) is nothing more than a circus with a bunch of clowns...

but everybody loves clowns...and a good circus.

Reactions: Joe Dozzo

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
drifting on pavement was cool for about 10 minutes when it became popular in the late 90s and just like every bad fad it should have gone away but no we made a whole other sport out of it..

let me see? whats the slowest way I can go around a corner while putting the maximum stress on my cars components and extra wear and tear? ah yes let me drift it...

as car enthusiasts we all like drifting in the true sense of the idea because it is in the end car control at its best. when you can bring the car back after its been in a slide where all control seems to have been lost, when done as a genuine practice(ie rally drivers) it show true talent and skill, but what has emerged as a sport(any drifting event for the sake of drifting) is nothing more than a circus with a bunch of clowns...

but everybody loves clowns...and a good circus.

My first reaction to that was, YEP exactly right! (y) WTF do that stupid crap?!

But then I remembered riding my friend's Honda ATC 70s on sandy roads in Hawthorne FL circa 1980, and good grief I have good memories of that .. I would've done all day every day for months, if given the chance, and the gas ... oh to be young again. Anyway, I have no desire to drift any cars, but thinking back now I can understand why people like it. Hillbilly at heart.