THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

Tomcat

GT Owner
Beautiful area. You'll love watching the sunrises and sunsets and all the sea life. There's been a big come back of Ospreys and Bald Eagles to the area. I suppose banning DDT had a lot to do with it.

I spent 25 years active duty with my first assignment to Vietnam retiring in 1995 and then became a support contractor for another 19 years for a total of 44 years serving the military and my country. My first operational assignment after completing flight training was AC-130A/E/H Gunships in Vietnam -- quite the initiation. After returning to the states, I flew many different aircraft as an instructor, evaluator, and finally testing new aircraft. I've never tried to count them, but I probably flew more than 50 types from fighters, helos, cargo, light aircraft, etc. Did a lot of testing of NATO aircraft in the 80's which was a real hoot - best adventure of my career. As you said, it was a great time to be flying because you were allowed to get qualified in many types of aircraft. Now they pretty much fly the same aircraft their entire careers and rarely get a chance to fly different aircraft types. But, there comes a time when it's time to hang up your wings as I also did last year. Thank you for your service.
We probably have some AC-130 tie-in. At P'cola, I instructed in T-47/T-39s/TA-4Js and a couple of our contracted T-39/47 guys were Reserve AC-130 guys...the names escape me right now.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My Bridgestones will arrive tomorrow so I unpacked my recently purchased standard OEM rims to take a peek at them. I installed one of the center caps. What a PITA. Then I removed it. What a major PITA. After screwing around with various expensive tools in my garage trying to make removing the cap easier, I finally figured it out using a paint stir stick, heavy cardboard and a ball peen hammer. A Rube Goldberg solution at its finest. Those who are already familiar with the caps probably know exactly what I did. In any event, we need someone to make a socket to fit over the handle to make installation and removal easier. Anyone here have an in with someone who can fab up a polymer socket?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
My Bridgestones will arrive tomorrow so I unpacked my recently purchased standard OEM rims to take a peek at them. I installed one of the center caps. What a PITA. Then I removed it. What a major PITA. After screwing around with various expensive tools in my garage trying to make removing the cap easier, I finally figured it out using a paint stir stick, heavy cardboard and a ball peen hammer. A Rube Goldberg solution at its finest. Those who are already familiar with the caps probably know exactly what I did. In any event, we need someone to make a socket to fit over the handle to make installation and removal easier. Anyone here have an in with someone who can fab up a polymer socket?

Not polymer, but looks like the right idea:)

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ck-wheel-lug-cover-cap-removal&highlight=tool

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Nice work Ed. I didn't recall that thread. I see you have been studying. :lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Sinovac,
I have the std wheels and really have no trouble taking my triwing cover off the wheels. You must be installing them too tightly to need a socket tool to remove the threaded piece. I spray a light coating of silicon spray on the threads and hand tighten. Not too tight. No problem at all.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Nice work Ed. I didn't recall that thread. I see you have been studying. :lol

Just a young Padawan, Jedi Paul:biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sinovac,
I have the std wheels and really have no trouble taking my triwing cover off the wheels. You must be installing them too tightly to need a socket tool to remove the threaded piece. I spray a light coating of silicon spray on the threads and hand tighten. Not too tight. No problem at all.

The wheels and caps are brand new and I can't remove them by hand even when they are threaded in only 1 turn or so. They are just really tight. I am sure they will loosen up with use. I am going to make up a socket out of some scrap oak I have around. I have to say I really prefer the look of the standard wheels.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just bought the B'stones from Tire Rack. Turns out onlinetires is based in CA. Any savings over Tire Rack quickly diminishes with the stupid CA sales tax. Man, I need to move.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks very much for looking!

"N-1" designation inside sidewall

DSC_2457.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Great!
That was just what I was looking for.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
Just ordered a set of Bridgestones

$366 for the rears and $292 for the fronts at http://www.onlinetires.com/

They had the lowest prices and cheapest shipping.

FYI-the part number for the 265 N1s is #124730 as it wasn't listed on the website.

Sinovac,

I went on ONLINE TIRES website and cannot find Part No. 124730. Is that a typo? I do see a part No. 127730 in the 265 size. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

DLC

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sinovac,

I went on ONLINE TIRES website and cannot find Part No. 124730. Is that a typo? I do see a part No. 127730 in the 265 size. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

DLC

FYI-the part number for the 265 N1s is #124730 as it wasn't listed on the website.

Sounds like you need to call them to order the tires.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY

Sounds like you need to call them to order the tires.

Bonehead,

Greatly appreciated. I will call an inquire.

DLC

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I just paid 400 for a rear tire at Tirerip oops I mean Tirerack

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
DLC,

I hope you were able to locate the correct front tires. My order number was 155219 if you are still having problems.

Paul

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Pictures of the rear 345/35R19 Bridgestones vs. OEM Goodyears worn about 60% (mounted on rims).
I am speaking with a local machine shop to have a socket made for the standard wheel spinners. My thought is to have it made to accept a 35mm socket, the same size as the hub nut. If anyone is interested in one, let me know.

Attachments

• DSC_7897.jpg
    DSC_7897.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_7903.jpg
    DSC_7903.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would think that the BS would be more than 1" wider than the GY, but because it is mounted on a rim that is less than ideal in width the tire tread is narrower than usual.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I think excessive and unnecessary acceleration caused you to have premature tire wear. Take it easy on the Bridgestone's will ya?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I think excessive and unnecessary acceleration caused you to have premature tire wear. Take it easy on the Bridgestone's will ya?

Never!

It's midnight and I'm in bed surfing the forum when I remembered that Indy said the spinners were installed at the factory with Vaseline. So I lean over and tap my wife on the shoulder and ask her if we have any Vaseline. She rolls over slowly, gives me the stink eye and has a look on her face which was a cross between "never in a million years" and "you are out of your mind." Oops.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would think that the BS would be more than 1" wider than the GY, but because it is mounted on a rim that is less than ideal in width the tire tread is narrower than usual.

True. Also, in my experience the Goodyears tend to run wide. The Bridgestone-approved rim width for the 345/35R19 is 11.5"-13.5" (the stock rims are 11.5" wide). The tire is slightly pinched on the 11.5" rim. One of the welcome consequences of this is that the tire seems to be nearly the same height (diameter) as the full tread OEM Goodyears, rather than .30" or so shorter as the specs would indicate.

DSC_7905.jpg