THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
I've had my car up to 160 already with the Bridgestones and it was rock stable. I think you will like them.

Good to hear. The R6's are great for the track but really keep you on your toes on the street unless the surfaces are smooth. I'll be taken her out within the next few days and will be sure to report back on the Stones as well.

DLC

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Although I have not used the R6s, I'm sure the Bridgestones, as a street tire, have a much more robust sidewall, which helps a bunch with stability.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've had my car up to 160 already with the Bridgestones and it was rock stable. I think you will like them.

On a closed course I am sure : )

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Bret,

The specs indicate the differences in height you mentioned, but when installed on the OEM rims and compared with the Goodyears with a straight edge, they are virtually identical as shown in the previously posted pictures. The published diameter/height dimensions for the Bridgestones are with the tires mounted on an optimum-width rim. The tire "grows" or "shrinks" in diameter somewhat as the tire is mounted on a more narrow or wider rim, respectively. You can see this when you compare my pictures of the mounted Bridgestones vs. Goodyears to pictures comparing the two unmounted tires. For example, the rear Bridgestones appear much wider when not mounted on the OEM rim.

To add another dimension to this, the other Porsche designated front tires (N0 for example) seem to have the same tread pattern as the rears. I don't think we need the N1s to match the rears. The internet machine told me that the only difference with the N1s is 2 extra cords.

Yep.:wink

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
I just installed them as well. 2nd track event, totally different behavior vs the F1's @ 49 deg F. I liked it, not so much sliding around.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
I also got a chance to try the Stones today. I didn't experience any tracking issues with the 265 fronts and got a chance to get to the top of 4th (>160). Excellent grip and stability. The temperatures were also in the 60's here, and the grip was lightyears better than the old GY's. This tire and sizing is a nice choice for our GT's

DLC

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It's unanimous then. :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I also got a chance to try the Stones today. I didn't experience any tracking issues with the 265 fronts and got a chance to get to the top of 4th (>160). Excellent grip and stability. The temperatures were also in the 60's here, and the grip was lightyears better than the old GY's. This tire and sizing is a nice choice for our GT's

DLC

There has to be a "See, I told ya so" message here. I never had the originals on my GT but experienced the equivalent tire on both my Shelby GT Mustang and CSX Cobra. They were hock pucks below 60-70*F.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've had Goodyears on performance cars going all the back to the Fox body years and, honestly, they have always been mediocre.

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
It's unanimous then. :lol

It should be! :lol

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
There has to be a "See, I told ya so" message here. I never had the originals on my GT but experienced the equivalent tire on both my Shelby GT Mustang and CSX Cobra. They were hock pucks below 60-70*F.

Hockey pucks are a great analogy for the GY's. Once temp's dropped below 65 F, any road could be considered a hockey rink with those tires. :thumbsdow

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Bridgestone Tire Swap

GT with Bridge rear copy.jpgJust wanted to register my vote for swapping to Bridgestone Potenza tires on my Tungsten GT. Tied changing tires all around to piece I just published on the Car Guy Chronicles. Thanks to suggestions from Forum members and their experiences. I don't track my GT, but advantages are obvious.
http://www.carguychronicles.com/2013/12/shoes-for-your-supercar-potenza.html

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Horrible ride on the Bridgestones last night. Goodyears were smooth these things ride like I am on marbles.

Doesn't feel like any vibration I have felt before more like a hard bumpy in my seat.

Went 15 miles in each direction felt like they were lumpy on a smooth Vandyke freeway at 60 70 & 80

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Haven't had opportunity to drive at high speeds yet. On local roads at 50 and under, tires were softer riding than OE Goodyears and quieter. Could balance weights have shifted, etc? Bring 'em back!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I've taken mine well over 200 and they've been absolutely perfect. If you're suffering that much of an issue, I'd say they must be improperly balanced or the tires spun on the wheel causing a new imbalance. Especially given that you're the first such commentator. Hope it's sorted for you soon.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
New 'stones and 36 degrees F over the weekend. No problem.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Raceman, lower the tire pressure to 28-30.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
New 'stones and 36 degrees F over the weekend. No problem.

Do be careful in the lower temps. While the Bridgestones are MUCH better at colder temps than the oil slick goodyears, they still harden at low temps and have less traction at the same time the car has more HP.

Could one reason why the Goodyears are not so sticky in cold weather have anything to do with being overinflated? I ran mine at the factory specified 32 until I found that the center tread was wearing significantly more than the tread on the edges. Then I lowered the pressure (per Ralphie and others) to 28, and may go further to 26. I drive my car at least once a month during the winter when it's dry here (temps 40-50 degrees), and although I'm careful, I haven't had any traction issues.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Thanks my good friend I will try that. The guys who did the work are great just 30 miles away in Michigan in December is a bit of a challenge. But Ill test the air and try to get them rebalanced.

They make Christmas music Thumpy Thump thump

Raceman, lower the tire pressure to 28-30.