THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My Ford dealer in Virginia has the correct tire machine. I assume that is the standard for any non-hick operation. I don't think there is any exotic requirement. You need a machine that doesn't touch the outer surface of the rim. And a technician that knows to use manual wrenches on the lug nuts. And a torque wrench. And allows you to be there to watch his every move.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Bridgestone Tire Owners

To owners who have purchased the recommended 265/40R18 Bridgestone Potenza's, Porsche N1 configuration, is there a sidewall designation that the tires you purchase are in fact the N1's? Or is it possibly on a removal tread tag sticker?

As Andy has pointed out in a previous post there are 5 versions of the 265/40R18 Stones, and am just wondering how we as the end user definitvely know that the tire supplier has in fact delivered to us the "Porsche N1" tire version.

Thanks!

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Check for the 101Y designation on the sidewall.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
You can't find anyone in Pensacola?

Thanks for your input. I haven't checked Pensacola yet, as I didn't know what question to ask about equipment.

Xcentric
My Ford dealer in Virginia has the correct tire machine. I assume that is the standard for any non-hick operation. I don't think there is any exotic requirement. You need a machine that doesn't touch the outer surface of the rim. And a technician that knows to use manual wrenches on the lug nuts. And a torque wrench. And allows you to be there to watch his every move.

Thanks, this is the info I needed to ask an intelligent question of the tire installers. I was told by a tire dealer in Crestview that these high speed tires have an expansion lip that requires special equipment to mount correctly.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You know it's the N1 because the tread pattern matches the Scuderia rear.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL

Funny, just carry a picture of the Scuderia rear tread in your pocket.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
And a technician that knows to use manual wrenches on the lug nuts. And a torque wrench. And allows you to be there to watch his every move.

Agreed. Wheel shop techs tend to go NASCAR style with an impact wrench. I once had a shop snap a wheel stud and put a few marks on new wheels for another car.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Agreed. Wheel shop techs tend to go NASCAR style with an impact wrench. I once had a shop snap a wheel stud and put a few marks on new wheels for another car.

Had the same experience, so I'm a little gun shy and want to do it correctly the 1st time. They stripped the stud and then stripped the stud hole trying to replace the stud. Had to pull the axle to replace the entire Jaguar hub because they stripped the old hub stud hole and wanted to use a heli-coil to repair it. I called the Jaguar dealer to make sure that was good mechanical practice and he told them that was unacceptable so they had to buy a replacement hub. The tire dealer mechanics were so incompetent I told them when the new hub arrived, I'd replace the hub myself -- didn't trust them anymore. Limped home with a stud missing.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When I change tires I take the wheels off the car and bring them to the shop. I don't let them touch the car!

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
There is no chance I would let any Ford dealer change my tires on the GT. Make sure they give you a guarantee that won't damage your rims. The name of the place near Clearwater, FL is called Boulevard Customs, and I think it is a subsidiary of Dupont Registry. They have very expensive wheel mounting machines that don't mess up wheels. They do a lot of custom work there, don't know the name of their equipment, but I could find out.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Thanks for your input. I haven't checked Pensacola yet, as I didn't know what question to ask about equipment.
I was told by a tire dealer in Crestview that these high speed tires have an expansion lip that requires special equipment to mount correctly.

You are living my dream down there...I was a flight instructor at NAS P'cola

Tomcat

GT Owner
When I change tires I take the wheels off the car and bring them to the shop. I don't let them touch the car!
So its not just me!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
+1
I do the same.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Check for the 101Y designation on the sidewall.

Nope, that will not work. Good thought though. Both the “N0 Porsche” and “N1 Porsche” carry the (101Y) sidewall speed indicator.

Yes this might work if you are purchasing a set of front and rear tires. What happens if an owner is just ordering a set of fronts and does not have the rears to compare pattern with? Or he has inadvertently replaced his wallet picture of the Scuderia tire pattern with that of his new child or grandchild? There must be a more technical way to determine if you have the N0 or N1 tire configuration.

As has been posted, Porsche is quite discriminating on the owner having THEIR specified OE tire on the car for any (tire) related warranty claim. Since both the N0 and N1 tire layup configurations are Porsche specific, how does the dealer determine if the correct tires are on the Porsche for warranty consideration? There has to be a way…..

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Even the tread pattern looks to be the same. One tire is for the 911 and the other is for Boxster/Cayman.Guess you will have to look at the spec tag on the tire itself.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My tires will arrive shortly. I will check for any identifying features/marks re the N1 designation.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
My tires will arrive shortly. I will check for any identifying features/marks re the N1 designation.
Thanks very much for looking!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
You are living my dream down there...I was a flight instructor at NAS P'cola

You'll have to work an assignment to Eglin AFB flying the F-35. The first flight of the Navy version was flown this week. Only one instructor is currently qualified in the aircraft at Eglin AFB.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I retired about two years ago (11 years active,18.5 Reserves). Flying is for the young at heart (health, sight, mind, etc...).
I believe I lived through one of the last golden era's of military/manned avaition (last of the Phantoms, Tomcats, Eagles, Falcons, and Hornets).
I either flew in them (RIO, Goose-Tomcat, Hornet) or against them (Eagles, Falcons/Vipers).
I have property on Perdido and hope/wish to be there soon!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I retired about two years ago (11 years active,18.5 Reserves). Flying is for the young at heart (health, sight, mind, etc...).
I believe I lived through one of the last golden era's of military/manned avaition (last of the Phantoms, Tomcats, Eagles, Falcons, and Hornets).
I either flew in them (RIO, Goose-Tomcat, Hornet) or against them (Eagles, Falcons/Vipers).
I have property on Perdido and hope/wish to be there soon!

Beautiful area. You'll love watching the sunrises and sunsets and all the sea life. There's been a big come back of Ospreys and Bald Eagles to the area. I suppose banning DDT had a lot to do with it.

I spent 25 years active duty with my first assignment to Vietnam retiring in 1995 and then became a support contractor for another 19 years for a total of 44 years serving the military and my country. My first operational assignment after completing flight training was AC-130A/E/H Gunships in Vietnam -- quite the initiation. After returning to the states, I flew many different aircraft as an instructor, evaluator, and finally testing new aircraft. I've never tried to count them, but I probably flew more than 50 types from fighters, helos, cargo, light aircraft, etc. Did a lot of testing of NATO aircraft in the 80's which was a real hoot - best adventure of my career. As you said, it was a great time to be flying because you were allowed to get qualified in many types of aircraft. Now they pretty much fly the same aircraft their entire careers and rarely get a chance to fly different aircraft types. But, there comes a time when it's time to hang up your wings as I also did last year. Thank you for your service.