The Supercar Conundrum and the NGT

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I think any car that stirs the soul is a supercar. I'm still searching for that car that stirs a part of me that hasn't been "sparked". I'm pretty stoked I found this 69 Judge! Full restoration in 1997. Owner passed away in 2001. It's been in his basement ever since. Lots of TLC needed, but ecstatic to start going through her!! Picked her up yesterday.

d13c102bd957d8ef1e1d34d78c6b613c.jpg

That's beautiful. First change should be back to the original Rally II wheels. We sold two of those in new 1969, one in 1970 at my dealership. Always makes me smile when I see one.

Chip

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I think any car that stirs the soul is a supercar. I'm still searching for that car that stirs a part of me that hasn't been "sparked". I'm pretty stoked I found this 69 Judge! Full restoration in 1997. Owner passed away in 2001. It's been in his basement ever since. Lots of TLC needed, but ecstatic to start going through her!! Picked her up yesterday.

d13c102bd957d8ef1e1d34d78c6b613c.jpg
ee81d74124b1e76ac24130f448faa2cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, looks like the perfect machine to boil some hides with !

Attachments

• 1969 GTO 3 PICStweaked.jpg
    1969 GTO 3 PICStweaked.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 359

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
It's more of a restomod. Matching number engine. Owner worked for Auto Custom Carpets and car was featured in a two part series in Hot Rod Magazine in 1998 as it was built by all donations from the major hot rod manufacturers for the World Power Tour. It did the Power Tour in 1999 and 2000. I do want some Rally IIs. I have the original build sheet that looks like a piece of papyrus disintegrating!!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Hi, MY NAME IS LARRY and I am a car addict.....

I have had many a conversation with Ben Beckert on finding a miracle drug that could quench the thirst of my addiction. As far as my wife, she never noticed the GT in the garage until I mentioned it. Love that woman.

As Carroll Shelby said, "What is my favorite car? my next one."

Great Thread! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thugboat

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Hi, MY NAME IS LARRY and I am a car addict.....

Hi, Larry!!!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
So, I just noticed that McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt confirmed to Car and Driver that a LT version of the 720S will be released. This factoid illustrates what I was trying to communicate in my original post; how can a person ever feel the slightest degree of assurance that the Next Big Thing he just bought will not become Last Month's Milk before the ink on the title has dried?

I'm convinced that the Hot Rod/Custom build guys know something that I am just now learning; you gotta roll your own sometimes. The magnificent Singer Porsches come to mind. Yes, they are colossally expensive, but you are buying something that never goes out of date, and is a joy to behold and to drive.

I submit for your consideration that original Ford GT is a worthy candidate for the weary exotic buyer looking for a great driving and owning experience. I'm hopeful that the NGT is the same kind of car...I think it will be.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So, I just noticed that McLaren CEO Mike Flewitt confirmed to Car and Driver that a LT version of the 720S will be released. This factoid illustrates what I was trying to communicate in my original post; how can a person ever feel the slightest degree of assurance that the Next Big Thing he just bought will not become Last Month's Milk before the ink on the title has dried?

No matter what you buy there will always be something bigger/faster/better to replace it. The best example is computers and all other electronic devices. Heck today it even applies to refrigerators and washing machines. If you need or want something buy it, if you don't buy because you think the grass may be greener tomorrow then you didn't really need or want it.

PS I'd also bet there is a convertible/spyder in the works...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
No matter what you buy there will always be something bigger/faster/better to replace it. The best example is computers and all other electronic devices. Heck today it even applies to refrigerators and washing machines. If you need or want something buy it, if you don't buy because you think the grass may be greener tomorrow then you didn't really need or want it.

PS I'd also bet there is a convertible/spyder in the works...

You should rethink the comment about refrigerators and washing machines. Older non-electronic washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators in good condition are now going up in price in the used market. The older top-loading washing machines do a better job of cleaning clothes than the high-efficiency models, and don't beat up the clothes as much, because they use more water and less vigorous agitiation (in order to get clothes clean with less water, the makers increased the agitation and the consequent beating the clothes take). Likewise for refrigerators and dryers. The old ones can be repaired ad infinitum; the new ones only as long as expensive non-repairable replacement circuit boards can be bought.

That's not meant to compare a FGT to an old washing machine :eek but I think our FGTs will remain serviceable much longer than the latest supercomputer--uh, I meant "supercar." :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You should rethink the comment about refrigerators and washing machines. Older non-electronic washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators in good condition are now going up in price in the used market.

Yes, I know. It's not an accident that I specifically mentioned them. That's because the timers and stuff in them (both washers and dryers) were mechanical and atomic-bomb proof. The first set we got lasted nearly 20 years. Now it's about every 5 before something goes wrong either with the motor or the electronic display controller. I replaced the mechanical stuff on our old ones for $20. The "computer" which is all part of the touch panel stuff costs so much that its cheaper to replace the whole thing. The other thing about these newfangled things is that they try to conserve water but as a side effect is that they leave water in places and grow mold. We had a front loader that we had to ditch because it had mold we could never get rid of.

Don't even get me started on refrigerators. Our automatic ice maker makes 12 dinky little cubes every 4 hours. I can see inside that the water is frozen to ice in an hour. Because of this it doesn't make enough ice for the two of us for a day. I wanted to return the d**** thing and get something that had the old classic type of icemaker but the boss overrode the call. So I bought a tabletop ice maker that takes up the slack. But it's insane that APPLIANCES are now so complicated and people just accept that it'll go to the landfill and be replaced in 5 years instead of 30.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Highest rated Washer and Dryer still made in USA :usa

https://speedqueen.com/products/stacked-washer-dryers.aspx?mn=ATEE9AGP173TW01#build-your-own

Singer Porsches....................Never have been much of a Porsche guy but my god those cars are insanely beautiful.

It is like they have woven all the memories I have of Porsche design and detail from the 70's (that never really existed as a singular package) into one knock down, drag out incredible car. I read they drive as nice as they look.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
There's an article in the most recent Porsche Panorama about a custom Singer 911. But for close to a half $Million, I'd rather get the new FGT!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Y The other thing about these newfangled things is that they try to conserve water but as a side effect is that they leave water in places and grow mold. We had a front loader that we had to ditch because it had mold we could never get rid of.

I've heard complaints of mold in most--maybe all--front loader models. I have it in my high-efficiency front loader too, but we can tolerate it. Never heard of that complaint in a top loader. Gravity is a difficult thing to fight...

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
There's an article in the most recent Porsche Panorama about a custom Singer 911. But for close to a half $Million, I'd rather get the new FGT!

No argument there, but that dang Singer is a jewel. Every piece, every part. The pinnacle of analogue sports car/custom crafted/one off with a dash of hot rod craziness. I got to check out a pair of them at the Sun Valley Road Rally last year and I still haven't forgotten it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Happiness is owning a Ford GT��

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Happiness is owning a Ford GT��

Euphoria is owning a TT GT. :rofl I'll be happy to confirm that on March 31...

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Have a fridge we bought in 1976, still works, we keep in in the garage. Meanwhile, in the house, our 7 year old fridge is on its last legs, already replaced the ice-maker PCB and now the main circuit board is kaput.

Nothing to do with supercars, just wanted to vent about garbage Whirlpools!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Have a fridge we bought in 1976, still works, we keep in in the garage. Meanwhile, in the house, our 7 year old fridge is on its last legs, already replaced the ice-maker PCB and now the main circuit board is kaput.

Nothing to do with supercars, just wanted to vent about garbage Whirlpools!

More electronic nannies... more breakdowns.

Will we see the same with today's supercars in 10 years??

Can't wait to hear about that TT GT

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
You should rethink the comment about refrigerators and washing machines. Older non-electronic washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators in good condition are now going up in price in the used market. The older top-loading washing machines do a better job of cleaning clothes than the high-efficiency models, and don't beat up the clothes as much, because they use more water and less vigorous agitiation (in order to get clothes clean with less water, the makers increased the agitation and the consequent beating the clothes take). Likewise for refrigerators and dryers. The old ones can be repaired ad infinitum; the new ones only as long as expensive non-repairable replacement circuit boards can be bought.

+1000 on the comment above. So many items that use to last decades are now shot in 5 years. Telephones, water heaters, washing machines, power tools, lawn mowers, you name it. And when something that use to be made in the USA has production moved to China that product is almost guaranteed to go to hell in a hurry. I hate my stupid front loading washer that breaks down constantly. Power tools that last a year or two. $15,000 A/C units that are shot in 10 years. Many products have taken a big step backwards as tech moves forward.

Chip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
+1000 on the comment above. So many items that use to last decades are now shot in 5 years. Telephones, water heaters, washing machines, power tools, lawn mowers, you name it. And when something that use to be made in the USA has production moved to China that product is almost guaranteed to go to hell in a hurry. I hate my stupid front loading washer that breaks down constantly. Power tools that last a year or two. $15,000 A/C units that are shot in 10 years. Many products have taken a big step backwards as tech moves forward.

Chip

some people think this is done by design.... they purposely engineer their product to only last a certain amount of time. their whole business philosophy is based on the revolving door customer. it seems that society as a whole has also accepted this.....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
it seems that society as a whole has also accepted this.....

You got it. It's that way because we have accepted it instead of demanding longer lives of these products. Somehow they have converted a desire for new whizbang features (some are nice) into the life cycle. Cars have actually gone the opposite way from the 60s and 70s. I remember my first new car (73 Chevelle with a very low compression 350 that was designed to implode) needed the engine rebuilt at about 30K miles. If somehow you got miles then they slowly rusted into the ground. Now cars last many miles and many years. We had our Jeep for 15 years and my truck is now on year 13.