The Supercar Conundrum and the NGT

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
In my mind, the passion of cars and performance are wonderful things, and the hobby of owning and driving these great machines are a joy, but like anything in life, your passion has to be balanced by realism and you have to place some parameters and reigns on what you as a consumer can and will do with your hard earned money. For me, cars (except my truck and daily drivers) have to be thought of as investments with specific strategic goals and metrics for evaluating their worth, the side-benefit is that you get to enjoy the aesthetics of the their beauty and the thrill of driving each one. Be smart!

Well said, and I'm afraid that the only thing that has helped me to observe some restraint is age and experience. I'm so glad I had zero resources as very young man, or I would have been a danger to myself and to others when it came to car buying. My first really cool car was an early Volkswagen Rabbit GTI, I think it was an '82. I could no more afford that car than a trip to Tahiti, but I didn't let that stop me. I put my head down, worked my tail off, and somehow made it happen. It seems that part of the adventure was feeling that a particular car was just out of my reach, but then I'd finagel a way to close the deal. As my resources grew, so did my appetite for the coolest thing I could barely afford, until I reached the point where it started to get into some really, really big numbers (like a million dollars plus for a P1 or a 918). Enough! At this point I'm going to start backtracking and revisiting some of the things that have always appealed to my, like building cars just the way I like them. I bought a sand rail awhile back, and I have been having so much fun ripping the dunes at Glamis that it has renewed my interest in the Mad Max, hot rod, build it yourself thing. I'm hoping the Heffner mods will get me closer to that...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Mitty, can't wait for you to review your TTGT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk