The Supercar Conundrum and the NGT

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
You hit it right on DBK!

Ed

exactly. Well said. The history behind a "limited run Tribute" just adds to the driving/owning pleasure.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
This was a fun thread to review!

Iconic cars are just that... iconic. They will always make your heart beat a little bit harder. I've been one to follow my gut / heart when purchasing a car. The '05-'06 Ford GT was a car I was completely obsessed with, I couldn't learn enough about it. My wife told me to buy one hoping I'd stop researching / obsessing about it (it kind of worked, although I found myself wondering around the garage yesterday checking out the cars). It all stems from the 60's when the GT40 kicked Ferrari's ass time and time again. The lineage can't be disputed, the legendary story is indeed iconic, the '05-'06 GT's (imo) are still cheap for what you get and now the all new GT is a continuation of an amazing USA lineage that we're all proud of. Each owner is lucky to be a caretaker of an amazing vehicle that will forever make everyone that's around it heart beat just a little bit harder...

Life is good,

Lance

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
This discussion is fascinating (thank you for starting it Mitty) because it's one every moderate car guy can relate to, and the serious car guys live it daily.

The Ford GT represents a unique purchase for me because it goes against my normal buying philosophy. I grew up with a very financially conservative dad who also happens to be a car guy (rebuilt the engine in his 51 Plymouth convertible while in college). He drilled the "Don't buy new because every car loses 20-plus percent of its value the moment you drive it off the lot" mantra into me before I was 7. Ironically, that's about when he bought his first new car ever, a loaded 1976 Plymouth Grand Fuy Sport Suburban station wagon (might be longest name in car history). It was the dealer's wife/demo car and they knocked almost 20 percent off MSRP, which is how I think he justified it. That car had every luxury feature you could get at the time, and my dad greatly softened his new car rule after that (but continued to negotiate hard on price, whether buying new or used).

By the time I hit driving age in the mid 1980s I was an American muscle car nut. If it had a V8 and the correct set of wheels pushing (never pulling!) it around, I was in. The Mustang GT, IROC Camaro and a few other new cars were waking up from the "Dark Ages of the American Car" slumber (as I've dubbed the decade between 1974 and 1984), but even the quickest Mustang GT or IROC couldn't keep up with a properly tuned 1960s muscle car. The old cars also cost less and didn't lose 20 perecent of their value after you bought them. And they were easier to work on. I was able to buy a 1969 Plymouth GTX shortly after I got my driver's permit, for the princely sum of $2,200.

I loved that car and all the original muscle cars so much I had this dream where my parents, driving me home from the hospital in September of 1969, stopped by a dealer and spent the $5,000 or so for a top-end, brand new Boss 429 or LS6 or Hemi Daytona. "Just put it away guys. I swear I'll pay you back in full by the time I'm 18." As frustrated as I was about not getting a brand new, top-notch muscle car when they were in dealer showrooms (those damn Hemi 'Cudas were, like, $20,000 by the time I got my license!), I was even more frustrated when the "old" guys (the 30-40 year olds) would say, "Yeah, I remember when those cars were new. I coulda bought one, but never got around to it." That's what they said, but what I always heard was, "Yeah, I remember when those cars were new, but I was too stupid to recognize how special they were." To a 16-year-old in 1985, when the height of performance appeared to be 1970, and we'd never get back there again, I couldn't believe those guys blew the opportunity to experience such great cars when they were new and (relatively) cheap. Yeah, to those older guys' friends and relatives it would have seemed like a frivolous purchase at the time, but a genuine car guy can see past that BS and recognize automotive "moments in time."

Then Ford showed the GT40 concept car at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show. I looked at it and all I saw was a Hemi 'Cuda convertible, LS6 Chevelle and Boss 429 all rolled into one gorgeous, knock-you-on-your-ass shape that would never age. And when it was announced for production weeks late I knew I would NEVER be one of those guys: "Yeah, I coulda bought one when it was new, but I never got around to it." Up until that point the most expensive car I'd ever bought was a $27,500 2000 Honda Odyssey minivan (first new car I'd bought) when my wife got pregnant with the second child in less than 2 years. She'd been using my 1970 Plymouth GTX (bought in 1986, 18 months after buying the 1969), as her daily driver for 2 years, and it was time to put her in a proper family vehicle.

Buying a $100,000-plus mid-engine sports car was something I never planned to do. I contacted my friends at Ford immediately but didn't tell anyone for almost a year because I felt guilty spending that kind of money on a car. Obviously I'm glad I followed my instincts and went through the financial stretch to make it happen. If I was sitting around today knowing I could have bought a GT new at MSRP, but instead let concerns about "frivolous" hold me back I'd have been "one of those guys" -- a fate worse than death.

But I do think recognizing "moments in time" helps combat the "latest, greatest, fastest, etc." merry-go-round. And this saves you time, money and stress. Just as those original muscle cars were eventually surpassed in terms of performance, every modern supercar will be surpassed by a future version. But a small percentage of these "has been" performance cars will never lose their timeless sense of cool.

The 2005-2006 Ford GT is clearly one. Nobody's knows for sure if the NFGT will be another one. But I'm not going to risk being "one of those guys" this time around, either.

Last edited:

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
But I do think recognizing "moments in time" helps combat the "latest, greatest, fastest, etc." merry-go-round. And this saves you time, money and stress. Just as those original muscle cars were eventually surpassed in terms of performance, every modern supercar will be surpassed by a future version. But a small percentage of these "has been" performance cars will never lose their timeless sense of cool.

The 2005-2006 Ford GT is clearly one. Nobody's knows for sure if the NFGT will be another one. But I'm not going to risk being "one of those guys" this time around, either.

Good point. I think it's having the wisdom and judgment to discern between the disposible exotic and the small percentage of keepers that is the true challenge for me. The 05-06 FGT certainly has proven to be a no brainer in that regard...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The NGT will be one of those special cars like the '05-06 GT. Like DBK said, it's not the new model. It may never happen again. It was built for a purpose. I don't feel like I am taking a risk in getting a NGT. It will forever be ranked in the car world as one of the best.

Ed

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Ed,

If I was a gambling man, I would bet in favor of the NGT being an iconic car. The fact that it does not replace an existing model, nor will it be soon replaced by a following model, is what makes the difference. I suppose the same argument can be made for the P1, the 918, and every super Ferrari released over the past few decades.

The outcome will be interesting to watch.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
The problem with the NGT out of the gate, is there a lot of folks ready to pounce on it--those in high places that didn't get an allocation, and those in the media, some of whom pissed on the process.

The low numbers should rule the day, but I am prepared for an initial shitstorm .

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Much like Soroush, I have never purchased a new vehicle. I like to buy the most expensive car that I can afford with 15-20,000 miles on it and drive it until it has 70-80,000 miles, rinse and repeat. The GT was a major purchase for me and my family. But I've always been a Ford guy, and a design that has withstood the test of over 50 years is simply amazing. Yes, it would be great to drive the latest exotics every day, but it's not in my future. Hopefully when the 2020 models come around I'll be fortunate enough to end up on the list and have the resources to pull the trigger.

There are a couple of things that I didnt see people touch on that much...

First, new versions coming out every 14 months are normally incremental in performance gains. Yes, having the latest and greatest is always fun. But I suspect modding the cars would give you much greater performance gains than the incremental increase of the new model. With the proliferation of turbos, 100-200 additional horsepower is often just a tune away.

Second, the hypercars or near-hypercars are WAY above the driving capabilities of 99.9% of the population. I know Mitty tracks his cars and is capable of extracting much of their performance, but he's the exception.

Also, my opinion is the styling of the NFGT is out of this world. I dont know that it will be as timeless as the FGT, but it's the best looking car on the road. And Dave hit the nail on the head by saying this is a race car for the street. Even if it's performance gets outdated in 10 years, when are you going to find another car like it.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Im a value for your money kind of a guy, and by that definition I will never buy a car knowing I will have to sell or trade it in for the next big thing in 14 month and take beating on the trade. I usually never buy brand new in the first place anyway I feel i get much more value for my money if I buy used. IF my allocation for the NFGT comes to fruition this will be only the second car I have purchased brand new. The first one was a bmw M5 that I leased for three years and it made sense at the time to do that. (I have purchased about 20 cars all together over the years) I don't have to have the latest and the fastest, Im not an early adopter by any means. some people are, they have to have the latest at any cost. If thats your thing that great. if you have that much money to continually lose 30 to 40K on your trades every 14 month Im a little jealous that you have that much money to burn ;) I would personally never do that. Have i lost money on cars? plenty of times. A big part of the reason I bought the 05 ford gt was because I realized even at 180K there is good value, but I never thought there is good value because the price might go up I genuinely thought I would get 180K worth of enjoyment out of the car even if I don't make a dollar back and so far i feel like I have received every pennys worth, so much so that as soon as I realized how much value there was in that car I bought a second one, and almost bought a third but alas Im not a baby boomer and my senses kicked in and said enough is enough. I wish they hadn't. The GT has timeless lines, easy to maintain, plenty of performance, simple to work on and repair, and cool factor off the charts.(not to mention a badass forum with great bunch of guys) for me the car was clearly underpriced and current market trends seems to agree with me. Besides my black GT will leave a Bugatti Veyron in the dust in the mile, so I guess what I said about not needing to have the fasted was just a little lie:) talk about value for your money where else can you have a 1000plus hp super car for the kind of money we spend on our GTs? not to mention that even if you break that 1000 hp car if wont cost an arm and leg to fix it!!! the 0506 GT is by far and I mean by far the greatest bang for the buck supercar in the last 10 years and even still.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
This discussion is fascinating (thank you for starting it Mitty) because it's one every moderate car guy can relate to, and the serious car guys live it daily.

The Ford GT represents a unique purchase for me because it goes against my normal buying philosophy. I grew up with a very financially conservative dad who also happens to be a car guy (rebuilt the engine in his 51 Plymouth convertible while in college). He drilled the "Don't buy new because every car loses 20-plus percent of its value the moment you drive it off the lot" mantra into me before I was 7. Ironically, that's about when he bought his first new car ever, a loaded 1976 Plymouth Grand Fuy Sport Suburban station wagon (might be longest name in car history). It was the dealer's wife/demo car and they knocked almost 20 percent off MSRP, which is how I think he justified it. That car had every luxury feature you could get at the time, and my dad greatly softened his new car rule after that (but continued to negotiate hard on price, whether buying new or used).

By the time I hit driving age in the mid 1980s I was an American muscle car nut. If it had a V8 and the correct set of wheels pushing (never pulling!) it around, I was in. The Mustang GT, IROC Camaro and a few other new cars were waking up from the "Dark Ages of the American Car" slumber (as I've dubbed the decade between 1974 and 1984), but even the quickest Mustang GT or IROC couldn't keep up with a properly tuned 1960s muscle car. The old cars also cost less and didn't lose 20 perecent of their value after you bought them. And they were easier to work on. I was able to buy a 1969 Plymouth GTX shortly after I got my driver's permit, for the princely sum of $2,200.

I loved that car and all the original muscle cars so much I had this dream where my parents, driving me home from the hospital in September of 1969, stopped by a dealer and spent the $5,000 or so for a top-end, brand new Boss 429 or LS6 or Hemi Daytona. "Just put it away guys. I swear I'll pay you back in full by the time I'm 18." As frustrated as I was about not getting a brand new, top-notch muscle car when they were in dealer showrooms (those damn Hemi 'Cudas were, like, $20,000 by the time I got my license!), I was even more frustrated when the "old" guys (the 30-40 year olds) would say, "Yeah, I remember when those cars were new. I coulda bought one, but never got around to it." That's what they said, but what I always heard was, "Yeah, I remember when those cars were new, but I was too stupid to recognize how special they were." To a 16-year-old in 1985, when the height of performance appeared to be 1970, and we'd never get back there again, I couldn't believe those guys blew the opportunity to experience such great cars when they were new and (relatively) cheap. Yeah, to those older guys' friends and relatives it would have seemed like a frivolous purchase at the time, but a genuine car guy can see past that BS and recognize automotive "moments in time."

Then Ford showed the GT40 concept car at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show. I looked at it and all I saw was a Hemi 'Cuda convertible, LS6 Chevelle and Boss 429 all rolled into one gorgeous, knock-you-on-your-ass shape that would never age. And when it was announced for production weeks late I knew I would NEVER be one of those guys: "Yeah, I coulda bought one when it was new, but I never got around to it." Up until that point the most expensive car I'd ever bought was a $27,500 2000 Honda Odyssey minivan (first new car I'd bought) when my wife got pregnant with the second child in less than 2 years. She'd been using my 1970 Plymouth GTX (bought in 1986, 18 months after buying the 1969), as her daily driver for 2 years, and it was time to put her in a proper family vehicle.

Buying a $100,000-plus mid-engine sports car was something I never planned to do. I contacted my friends at Ford immediately but didn't tell anyone for almost a year because I felt guilty spending that kind of money on a car. Obviously I'm glad I followed my instincts and went through the financial stretch to make it happen. If I was sitting around today knowing I could have bought a GT new at MSRP, but instead let concerns about "frivolous" hold me back I'd have been "one of those guys" -- a fate worse than death.

our stories cross paths in many places

your story reminds me of the time when I was teenager and used to go street racing in my fox body and there was alway that one guy in the cleanest 70mach1 or a 69 boss or 68 camaro or nova that would show up and clean everyones clock and just be on his way as if it was just another day at the office..... great times

fast forward 20 plus year i was that guy in the black ford GT, i guess its good we keep the cycle going

and I have enjoyed this thread also good to see a lot of us on the same wavelength.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I can't imagine owning a better looking and driving street car than the GT.
If I want to go faster I just drop a new motor in a race car.
For the street I'll never get over the Beauty of the 05/06 GT.
I don't need the NFGT. I'll agree it's beautiful tho. And a beast.
But I'm satisfied.
I totally "get" people wanting the NFGT but I'm "good."
I've never owned a foreign exotic and I don't think I ever will.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can't imagine owning a better looking and driving street car than the GT.
If I want to go faster I just drop a new motor in a race car.
For the street I'll never get over the Beauty of the 05/06 GT.
I don't need the NFGT. I'll agree it's beautiful tho. And a beast.
But I'm satisfied.
I totally "get" people wanting the NFGT but I'm "good."
I've never owned a foreign exotic and I don't think I ever will.

That's it in a nutshell

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I have to wonder, for all the members that have owned a variety of exotics / supercars, has anyone driven one that gets more thumbs up and camera photos, or more appreciation attention at a cars and coffee, or more comments of "my absolute favorite"?

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I have to wonder, for all the members that have owned a variety of exotics / supercars, has anyone driven one that gets more thumbs up and camera photos, or more appreciation attention at a cars and coffee, or more comments of "my absolute favorite"?

Funny you should bring that up. I went about three years between my last GT and the one I just bought. During that time, when I went to an event and a FGT was there, I would go out of my way to talk to the owner and share the glory. When I would see a GT on the street, I'd stop and stare like a tourist. No question, the GT had me magnetized, both as an owner and a former owner.

There is no question that the GT makes people feel good. Is there a higher compliment one can give a car?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
All Ford GTs: Magnetic by Design!

Ed

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Great thread.

Can't resist: Neither aluminum nor CF "magnetic".

Any thoughts on the role and value of our contemporary Super Cars on down the road in the world of Autonomous Cars? Will some "so-called Judge" rule us off the road?

Is Hillary really done for?

Does Elizabeth Warren have an allocation?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Nautoncall,

... Then, I'm gonna wear that thing out.
You got a lotta catching' up to do.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I think the design/profile of the 05/06 is "time tested"...so its now iconic not just the flavor of the month.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I think any car that stirs the soul is a supercar. I'm still searching for that car that stirs a part of me that hasn't been "sparked". I'm pretty stoked I found this 69 Judge! Full restoration in 1997. Owner passed away in 2001. It's been in his basement ever since. Lots of TLC needed, but ecstatic to start going through her!! Picked her up yesterday.

d13c102bd957d8ef1e1d34d78c6b613c.jpg
ee81d74124b1e76ac24130f448faa2cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchasey

Aug 18, 2007
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I think any car that stirs the soul is a supercar. I'm still searching for that car that stirs a part of me that hasn't been "sparked". I'm pretty stoked I found this 69 Judge! Full restoration in 1997. Owner passed away in 2001. It's been in his basement ever since. Lots of TLC needed, but ecstatic to start going through her!! Picked her up yesterday.

What a find! Awesome project to enjoy. Congrats!