The last picture of my FGT.......

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
......….as a super charged super car. :biggrin I took a nice Saturday drive down the coast to Kendall’s yesterday to drop off my GT for its TT overhaul. Spent time looking at the ocean and listening to the engine, wondering how different it will be when I get it back. Honestly I had slightly mixed emotions. :willy I am excited for the TT’s and know once I get it back I will love it, but I know my GT in its current configuration. I know when to hit it and what to expect when I do. I feel like I will almost be getting a completely different car back.

Once I got there I saw Terry’s TTGT completed and it looks just WICKED. :eek All that nervousness slipped away once I saw it. :banana Enjoy it Terry and I will see you and Monica in the desert!! :cheers

Anyway, Kendall had all my TT kit parts laid out and ready to go……and he was nice enough to put them under the supervision of the lovely lady on the wall. Very soon the real adventure will begin. Till then………….

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3669.jpg
    IMG_3669.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 387
  • hef1.jpg
    hef1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 384
  • hef3.jpg
    hef3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 389
  • hef2.jpg
    hef2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 385

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
How many ponies will this boost the GT up to? I also think to myself how much can we handle and when does it become a little unsafe. I,am thinking about how much HP can we plant to the ground before this thing goes into orbit.
I,am at 650 and there,s not a time when I feel man I need faster. I would be so PISSED if I wrecked or landed in the ditch because I was getting out of hand....just thinking..

Attachments

• McQueen.jpg
    McQueen.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 383

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
The grin on your face the first time you nail it with the TT...........priceless

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
How many ponies will this boost the GT up to?

In base 91-octane tune, I expect around 850 RWHP with 19psi... and probably close to 1,000 RWHP with the 100 octane tune and 20-21 psi.

As a comparison of the SC to the TT, we did a baseline run at ~11psi at only 5,000 RPM and we were like 565RWHP. This is a boost level below the OEM SC - but there is no "screw" (aka SC) to turn and rob RWHP.

For those that may have missed it - here is the dyno of Terry's TT that we just finished.

AsTuned.jpg

Here is a video of the "uninventful" dyno run of that 920 RWHP. Outside temp was 104 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x7PcoDuaM

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...I,am at 650 and there,s not a time when I feel man I need faster. I would be so PISSED if I wrecked or landed in the ditch because I was getting out of hand....just thinking..

Contact Shadowman about TC. It automatically modulates the power bases on what the tires can handle allowing power to be used more aggressively without losing control.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hey Kendall what fuel was this done with?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey Kendall what fuel was this done with?

Whenever possible at the dyno, more octane = more insurance. For the dyno sheet above (Apollo's car) it was full of 100 octane. However, this was a 91 octane tune... with about 2psi more boost than what we wanted to set it at. (Higher octane doesn't result in any more HP - just less chance of detonation.)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Contact Shadowman about TC. It automatically modulates the power bases on what the tires can handle allowing power to be used more aggressively without losing control.

Yes perhaps useful in straightline acceleration but NOT to be confused at all with dynamic stability control which is now increasingly common in supercars.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes perhaps useful in straightline acceleration but NOT to be confused at all with dynamic stability control which is now increasingly common in supercars.

Yes, DA's TC is traction control and not a stability control system, but it does help modulate the power while cornering as well. Properly tuned you can mash the gas peddle exiting a turn without losing control. However it can only control the power delivered to the both rear wheels, but does not alter the torque or braking to each wheel separately (sometimes all four) that factory systems can do. That said I know of many trackers that disable their factory stability controls since most of those system use the brakes to modulate power and that causes the brakes to overheat and the tires to wear unevenly. The factory system are not tunable for the track and tend to be overly aggressive leading to worst lap times in most cases.

Note the DA TC system's heart is the same as used in the Gumart Apollo, which many consider a supercar.

I would also add IMHO, a supercharged FGT with TC is much easiier to drive aggresively in a strait line or in the corners than a TT setup. This is because of the much flatter torque curve with TC controlling the wheel torque. Power is always available. With the peaky TT torque curve you better keep the revs up where the torque curve flattens or you will have difficulty modulating the power.

That said, for top speed NOTHING tops a TT system, NOTHING!!!

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
How many ponies will this boost the GT up to? I also think to myself how much can we handle and when does it become a little unsafe. I,am thinking about how much HP can we plant to the ground before this thing goes into orbit.
I,am at 650 and there,s not a time when I feel man I need faster. I would be so PISSED if I wrecked or landed in the ditch because I was getting out of hand....just thinking..

Kendall already answered your first question. :thumbsup

Go to your first mile event and I dare you to come home not thinking "Hmmmm Turbos really do sound like a good idea." :lol ......and I do not have the impulse control to ignore the craving for more horsepower. I fought the urge as long as I could!! :rofl :willy :banana :rofl

As for drivability, I talked and pm'ed a lot of TT owners to get as much info as possible because I do drive my GT regularly and to a man they all thought the TT made their car more drivable around town. The set-up I am getting actually gives you a little less power in first than the stock or pulley/tune set-up. That said we are fortuantate to have great TT (or SC/TT) owners who are great about answering any and all questions about their experiences and set-ups. I can't say enough how much I appreciated their time in sharing their experiences with me and how much of a comfort level it gave me going forward.

The hardest part was figuring out which system......and writing the check. :lol :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
You have some very exciting days ahead

Please share them as they unfold

All the best with your project and your gal

Takes care

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would also add IMHO, a supercharged FGT with TC is much easiier to drive aggresively in a strait line or in the corners than a TT setup. This is because of the much flatter torque curve with TC controlling the wheel torque. Power is always available. With the peaky TT torque curve you better keep the revs up where the torque curve flattens or you will have difficulty modulating the power.

I respect your opinion regarding your preferences. The characteristic of any car need to be learned as opposed to assumed. A TT GT is different than a SC GT. Power delivery of the TT is pretty linear - especially up in the go zone. There's a lot of turbo race cars out there.... Another TT advantage is that: OEM exhaust manifold weight + Cat weight = Turbos + wastegates. What the TT gets to lose is a massive, 40lb metallic heat source top dead center! :biggrin

Fun topic to debate, let's open a new thread if you want to continue so that we don't totally hijack Skyrex's thread! :biggrin

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Hijack as needed Gentlemen!! There is no my thread, just group threads. :biggrin That is how things work around here. :thumbsup Adds to the flavor of the Forum. :lol

I respect what TC can add, but one of the things that appealed to me about the GT is that it rests on me. I like that. But it is good that options have been developed for those that want something different. Also I like to think that I drive within my abilities. For those who want to push TC may be a good option.

H

HHGT

I drove my Z06 with Traction Control off for the 20,000 plus while I had her. I also considered to permanently turning it off, because I got tired of pressing and holding the button for 10 minutes. With my Whipple, I make sure my front wheels are straight and exercise extreme caution when I shift into second gear.

With that in mind, the TT is sounds real interesting and I cant wait to go see Kendall - IF HE EVER INVITES ME OVER!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I respect your opinion regarding your preferences. The characteristic of any car need to be learned as opposed to assumed. A TT GT is different than a SC GT. Power delivery of the TT is pretty linear - especially up in the go zone. There's a lot of turbo race cars out there.... Another TT advantage is that: OEM exhaust manifold weight + Cat weight = Turbos + wastegates. What the TT gets to lose is a massive, 40lb metallic heat source top dead center! :biggrin

Fun topic to debate, let's open a new thread if you want to continue so that we don't totally hijack Skyrex's thread! :biggrin

I agree the weight savings and additional power give a TT FGT an unbeatable power to weight ratio. I differ on your opinion that the power deliverly is linear, unless you define the go zone to be about 4.5K RPM to redline. I guess 4.5K+ are the manly RPMs that DBK spoke of.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I drove my Z06 with Traction Control off for the 20,000 plus while I had her. I also considered to permanently turning it off, because I got tired of pressing and holding the button for 10 minutes. With my Whipple, I make sure my front wheels are straight and exercise extreme caution when I shift into second gear.

With that in mind, the TT is sounds real interesting and I cant wait to go see Kendall - IF HE EVER INVITES ME OVER!!!

:lol I used to do the same thing with my Corvette. Hold the button, put it into competition mode and lose the TC......but if I remember correctly it still gave you a little sway protection that way. Thanks for reminding me about that. That C-5 was fun.....and better looking than the current body style IMHO. :cheers

H

HHGT

:lol I used to do the same thing with my Corvette. Hold the button, put it into competition mode and lose the TC......but if I remember correctly it still gave you a little sway protection that way. Thanks for reminding me about that. That C-5 was fun.....and better looking than the current body style IMHO. :cheers

I drove the C6 Z06 when they came out and it was a nice car, but my 04 C5 Z06 was a sleeper. I think you're right about the little sway protection after disabling TC. The 1st to 2nd gear burnouts where amazing in the C5Z06.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How much does the entire TT setup weigh vs the OEM SC?

Ed

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Hi Tom,
We saw your gal in the garage waiting for transformation. :thumbsup
Monica and I picked out little Red bullet up today and promptly took it out for a ride through Southern California.:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin We went through Hidden Valley and along the coast, back up Mullholand Hwy past the rock store and through T.O. and Westlake, our old stomping ground. We took it pretty easy so the biggest thing we noticed so far was how much meaner the car sounds with the Heffner exhaust. :eek Cool littlle barks and burbles. We did get a little run up getting on the freeway, incredible how fast the speedo needle moves...
I know you are going to be very happy!:biggrin

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Tom, I'm SO jealous. Your decision to TT your car has made me think, nonstop, about doing mine. I can't even say I'm on the fence anymore, I WANT to do it. Just figuring out when. I'll probably ship it to either Kendall or Jason next winter (2011) and do it then. Man, I can't wait to see your car again!! Hang on and enjoy the ride my friend. I assume you're going to register it in Nevada??